Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land usage and ownership in relation to hunting

• 29-12-2016 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello all,
    This is my first thread on here so I apologize if it's posted in the wrong place.
    My wife and I are moving to Ireland from the U.S. at the beginning of the new year where we will be fixing up a rural property and slowly transforming it into a semi self-sustainable homestead.
    In the U.S. I have always hunted deer on public land. From what I can gather, there really isn't any public hunting land in Ireland. So my questions are who owns the land for example around the Cousane Gap or the Wicklow Mountains? Is it all private and if so how does one go about getting permission to hunt on it? Is it legal to hunt in places like the Kilarney National Park? Also, I grew up hunting in Illinois where it is only legal to hunt deer with a shotgun so there was less stalking and more waiting involved. Is deer hunting in Ireland all rifle?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Hi M McGinn, hope you have a great experience here. Your best bet with this question would be to post it in the hunting forum - lots of very helpful and knowledgeable hunters there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

M.McGinn wrote: »
    Hello all,
    This is my first thread on here so I apologize if it's posted in the wrong place.
    My wife and I are moving to Ireland from the U.S. at the beginning of the new year where we will be fixing up a rural property and slowly transforming it into a semi self-sustainable homestead.
    In the U.S. I have always hunted deer on public land. From what I can gather, there really isn't any public hunting land in Ireland. So my questions are who owns the land for example around the Cousane Gap or the Wicklow Mountains? Is it all private and if so how does one go about getting permission to hunt on it? Is it legal to hunt in places like the Kilarney National Park? Also, I grew up hunting in Illinois where it is only legal to hunt deer with a shotgun so there was less stalking and more waiting involved. Is deer hunting in Ireland all rifle?
    Thanks!

The hunting forum people will tell you better

however, IIRC, if you are after duck, you can get a foreshore licence from the state, this lets you hunt on public foreshores in certain areas.

Rabbits, foxes etc. You can hunt on land that you get permission from a landowners. All you need is the gun.

for deer:

There are large tracts of land owned by the state forestry body called Coilte, and you can apply for a deer lease on some of this land. It isn't cheap and isnt' great, and you need to have a couple of courses done.

Most of the land in the state is private - some of it you can lease a deer spot on (you'll pay for it), it will be shared. Others, you just ask a local farmer.

Some pointers: to shoot deer here, you need at least a .243 calibre rifle and a deer licence

To get a deer licence you need to have the relevant gun and at least 100 acres of land that has deer on it. Getting the gun can be a catch .22 as if you aren't doing any target shooting, you might find it hard to get the gun licence without the deer licence, which you can't get before you have the gun licence..!

Advertisement