Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nipple piercings: reoccuring "infection"

Options
  • 29-12-2016 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Was hoping you guys can advice me on this. I got both my nipples pierced in 2014 and they've healed fine(I had this checked by my piercer). 
    Sometimes I have pustules on both sides of my nipples, sometimes they're rather large. They're not painful and are usually gone in a day or two. I clean the bars twice a day with warm water but at the end of the day there's always a lot of "gunk" on the bars.
    It got better when I changed to a bigger size bar: I got pierced with 1.6mm bars, but changed to 1.8mm when they were healed, but it still hasn't fully cleared the issue. Do I need to use something else for cleaning? I really love having my piercing but this kind of takes the joy out of it...
    Help??:'(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

do you clean them twice a day every day? thats a bit excessive imo

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

do you clean them twice a day every day? thats a bit excessive imo

Like hell it is.

OP - I trust you're cleaning with NATURAL sea salt and warm water? Just plain water is as useless as a penis on the Pope in terms of cleaning a piercing. A good way to clean it and get all the dirt that builds up is once a day or every few days, use a cup of the salt water solution (it's for clarity 1/4 a TEASPOON of non iodised sea salt to HALF A PINT of boiling water, cooled to body temp) and like hold it to the piercing and lie back. It creates a vacuum that loosens and clears out dirt. I'd imagine the bar could do with a change if it's been in since 2014. I recently had the same kind of issue with a scaffold bar, about the same age, changed it and all was great again.

For ease of cleaning daily, a great option instead of mixing the saline solution twice a day is "Easy Piercing" it comes in a few forms, but for general upkeep the bottle of Slaine Solution

http://wildcat.ie/product/easy-piercing-aftercare-3/

It's €6 from WildCat, cheapest I could find it online! Just spray on to a cotton swab and clean as normal. I wouldn't go and take it out either way, try cleaning it the way I described above and get a new bar. If the bar is too long it can cause trouble as well because it can be moving around too much causing irritation. If it doesn't clear up after that, I'd try the easy piercing orange bottle which is an anti bacterial spray. If you're ordering a bottle off of wildcat or wherever I'd get a bottle of each just handy to have!

And I'd be fairly confident it's not an infection. If it was you would know all about it.

Advertisement