Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make up brush recommendation

Options
  • 30-12-2016 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a new foundation brush. I don't wear make up that often, but I'll probably be wearing foundation more often in the next few months, and don't know a lot either!

A friend has a Mac stippling brush and that seemed good, but I don't want to spend that much. I was looking at Real Techniques and Crown brushes but I don't know which type are better. I have heard that the stippling brushes that you 'pat' the foundation on first are good but I'm not sure if there is much of a difference between those and others?

Looking on the Crown website, I see this which is only €4.38 on sale, as well as a few more expensive ones for less than €10. Real Techniques has loads as well which all seem good. They also have some sets but I don't know if I would use all the brushes in them, but maybe another eyeshadow brush might be good if I was to get a set.

Can anyone advise me? I use liquid foundation. I don't know a lot about make up which probably shows!
    Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Shinbin223

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a new foundation brush. I don't wear make up that often, but I'll probably be wearing foundation more often in the next few months, and don't know a lot either!

A friend has a Mac stippling brush and that seemed good, but I don't want to spend that much. I was looking at Real Techniques and Crown brushes but I don't know which type are better. I have heard that the stippling brushes that you 'pat' the foundation on first are good but I'm not sure if there is much of a difference between those and others?

Looking on the Crown website, I see this which is only €4.38 on sale, as well as a few more expensive ones for less than €10. Real Techniques has loads as well which all seem good. They also have some sets but I don't know if I would use all the brushes in them, but maybe another eyeshadow brush might be good if I was to get a set.

Can anyone advise me? I use liquid foundation. I don't know a lot about make up which probably shows!
    Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

I can definitely recommend the Blank Canvas F20. I think it's about €14 but it lasts and lasts and blends foundation really well. For lighter coverage the beauty blender is excellent although I heard some bloggers saying on Snapchat that the Buff and Blend version of the beauty blender is cheaper and better but I haven't tried so am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I recently purchased a set of brushes online from Fuschia and couldn't be happier.

They have a 'liquid buffer' brush that I use for my foundation and it goes on beautifully.

ETA - agree with Shinbin on the beauty blender too. I used one once for a while and it does a lovely job, found it especially handy for blending in my concealer around the eyes. I must actually pick up another one next time I'm shopping.
    I got a cheaper version, it was about €10 I think - can't think of the brand but it was in boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I'm a beauty blender girl myself but I'm skeptical about all these dupes for it, the real techniques version is not as good for example. I've a very sensitive face lately (dental work) so I can really feel the diffrence of these harder sponges!

I think real techniques expert face brush is a great all round foundation brush and easy to get hold of, the stippling brush they do is excellent too but I prefer the expert face brush.

I use Zoeva brushes and love them for they're design and quality, you have to buy these online ( own website, beauty bay and cult beauty all stock them ) but if you want to start collecting I'd give these a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

+1 for the blank canvas f20 brush. I got the double pack and always have one on the go and the other for wash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Another beauty blender lover here!

Probably wouldn't ever go back to a brush after using it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Another one for the f20!! I use a cheaper version of the beauty blender after it to smooth in foundation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm using a Mac angle contour brush at the min to apply my foundation and I love it. Did not get the hype with the mac 187, got much better results with other brushes. I love the beauty blender, the dupes can't touch it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Wexy86

Also another one for the f20. There's a 30% sale tomorrow on their website and use the code Kate for another 10%. For heavier coverage I like real techniques expert brush also.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Was just about to post the sale thing! Think I'm gonna get the eye perfection set... have the F20 and love it! Hope they don't have a load of the brushes taken of sale because of the sale!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I couldn't find the beauty blender anywhere today! Where can I buy it in a real shop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

lazygal wrote: »
    I couldn't find the beauty blender anywhere today! Where can I buy it in a real shop?

Boots sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was in three Boots stores today, only the real techniques version was on sale. Maybe I'll try ordering online for collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I ended up buying a RT brush as it was on offer, but seeing as there is a discount for Blank Canvas, I might as well buy another :pac:
    I might look at an eyeshadow brush too, maybe a fluffier one for blending than I have already. Can anyone recommend one? I was looking at the F25/26 duo and the F13. Not sure which would be better or any others? The E01 is out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dibs24

Wexy86 wrote: »
    Also another one for the f20. There's a 30% sale tomorrow on their website and use the code Kate for another 10%.

Woo! Thanks for the code! Needed to replace my buffer brush and got a bargain on the F20 double pack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

+1 for F20!! My sister got it for me in secret Santa and I LOVE it!! A big difference from RT expert brush I used to use! Cheers for the promo code for extra discount. Think I'll order more! Any recommendations for contouring brushes? Sister also got me contouring (powder) palette and I'd like to get proper brushes for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 butterfly1986

I would defiantly recommend the Black Canvas brushes, I have mine over 4 years and they are still in excellent condition. these are just a fabulous brand.

I would not recommend Buff and Blend, what you see is not what you get on the website.
    I ordered brushes and what I got were far too small and of general poor quality.
    When I went to return them the "Founder" of this collection got quiet nasty to me and refused a refund.

DO NOT BUY AND DO NOT SUPPORT A TERRIBLE ONLINE BUSINESS LIKE THIS

Advertisement