Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builders refused to replace all scratched windows?

Options
  • 30-12-2016 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Moved into new place two months, Had snag list done with certified surveyor, but i constantly found problems with the house,

Recently i found there are some scratches on windows, sent couple emails to builders, they refused to replace them,

They claimed"No window scratches were specifically noted on my snag list, this would have been the responsibility of my surveyor to check each window for scratch marks."

I Sent email to my surveyor, he said "GENERAL Section of the snag list in the 5th paragraph, he specifically state ‘replace any scratched glass units’."

Any suggestions?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Get your solicitor to chase the builders. I had to do that. Got my solicitor to write them a letter, about the items discovered upon closer inspection. I also had a window issue, and then ended up having to replace all the windows in the master bedroom (4 panes).

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭flyandrain

Paulw wrote: »
    Get your solicitor to chase the builders. I had to do that. Got my solicitor to write them a letter, about the items discovered upon closer inspection. I also had a window issue, and then ended up having to replace all the windows in the master bedroom (4 panes).

i was thinking of getting my solicitor to chase them, but i was worried about the cost, and is that going to be only solution to deal with them after all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

flyandrain wrote:
    I Sent email to my surveyor, he said "GENERAL Section of the snag list in the 5th paragraph, he specifically state ‘replace any scratched glass units’."

You very well may have every right to ask the builder to remedy the glass issues but to be honest that's a piss poor service you got from your surveyor in the first place. Writing ' replace any scratched glass units ' is asking the builder to do the surveyors job for him. Why was he so vague? He should have specified ' lower pane in back master bedroom has significant scratches. That way the builder looks at the exact issue and ticks it off as done or not an issue ( at which point u can call him on it ) as is, a generic request to 'replace any scratched glass ' is akin to saying ' I cant be arsed checking it out, have a look yourself will ya ' .....You paid him to point out the specific issues not write etc etc etc in the general section.

You very well may have every right to ask the builder to remedy the glass issues but to be honest that's a piss poor service you got from your surveyor in the first place. Writing ' replace any scratched glass units ' is asking the builder to do the surveyors job for him. Why was he so vague? He should have specified ' lower pane in back master bedroom has significant scratches. That way the builder looks at the exact issue and ticks it off as done or not an issue ( at which point u can call him on it ) as is, a generic request to 'replace any scratched glass ' is akin to saying ' I cant be arsed checking it out, have a look yourself will ya ' .....You paid him to point out the specific issues not write etc etc etc in the general section.

you are right about that, it was a bad choice. he is a chartered surveyor, that is why i chose him at the beginning. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

flyandrain, how did you choose the surveyor for the snaglist? was it recommendation? It is always best to get a recommendation from previous customers & also ask to see a sample of a previous inspection they have carried out

• Advertisement

he was recommended by one of my friends, and also he is member of chartered surveyor,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Does this not sound very vague to everyone? If he actually saw any scratches he would have mentioned kitchen window or bedroom no3 etc. It sounds to me like a vague thing he puts in every report. Builders will say that survivors didn't actually point out any specific Windows. I think you should be fighting the survivors for not actually reporting the scratches.

Survivors are a waste of money IMO. Every property in priory hall was passed by a survivor. I always use engineers for this kind of work

Advertisement