Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how often do you throw out clothes

• 30-12-2016 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

did a big clearout there with the unwanted going to a charity shop. My first clearout in a long while. I seem to hoard clothes I don't even wear, but like the look of, fooling myself into thinking they'll come in handy. How often do you throw yours out, do you just bin them or give them to charity?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Graigmanliam

I liked giving old clothes to the pink bins at the local recycling area that supported console suicide charity, pisses me off to see what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I have a wardrobe full of clothes that I know I will never wear but keep just in case. My daughter must have 2 wardrobes full. Daughter no2 has a pile of shoes that will never be worn. I really must get them bagged up for the charity shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Oh I have ex's who that for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I usually buy my clothes in that fashionable French boutique in town, San Vincent dePaul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Every time the children's National School has a collection. They then sell them by weight go one of those "cash for clothes" crowds. So at least twice each school year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Not often enough but I did give 5 bags recently to st Vincent de Paul. I also have that stupid logic that I'll wear that nice shirt I haven't worn in 10 years again sometime so it and many others like it clog up my wardrobe.

i.... usuall only throw them out once...?

im awful confused ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

About every time I shart

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I never throw out clothes unless they become ripped or zipper breaks or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

learn_more wrote: »
    I never throw out clothes unless they become ripped or zipper breaks or something like that.

Same as this. I only buy clothes as I need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

About once a year. I'm terrible for buying clothes I never wear or only wear once.If it wasn't for Aliexpress and Penneys I'd be broke (more often :P ). I think I buy clothes to fit an ideal Frigating who only exists in my head, and they often don't suit real world Frigating. It doesn't help that my personality and values have changed so much in the past few years, clothes hardly suit me for that long before I get sick of them. They always go to charity, so at least someone benefits from my spendthrift attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Clothes never seem to wear out on me. So they get recycled during the annual purge.

Socks and Jocks get dumped when they wear out (or develop a mind of their own).

What kind of market research is this OP?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Once a year I do a clear out. Adult clothes that are in reasonable condition get brought to the charity shop, baby/kid clothes are passed on to family members, everything else goes in th clothes recycling bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

learn_more wrote: »
    Same as this. I only buy clothes as I need them.

This.

Plus old/torn clothes will get moved to the shed to be worn for garden/external house work until they're only fit to be used for rags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I tend to hoard clothes but do a huge clear out when there's no space left, so probably once a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

All the time... I'm trying to operate a one in one out policy. Only keeping things that I like and that fit. Small wardrobe so limited storage. always donate to SVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Twice a year, usually.

I still operate on the 2 sets of clothes system I grew up with - one set is winter clothes, one set is summer clothes. The set that's not in season gets packed away under the bed, in a big vacuum bag, the other one is in the wardrobe to be worn. So when I switch over in spring and autumn, I bring the things I haven't worn once that year to charity. It's usually only 4 or 5 items each time, but it keeps things nice and tidy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I try to be aware of the impact clothes make on the environment and the conditions in which they can be made.

I know it sounds so airy fairy but it has huge effects on our planet and peoples lives. The True Cost is a great documentary about it. Fast fashion such as Penneys etc is a blight and people dont see it.

I try to buy things secondhand on Ebay - mostly designer stuff thats well made in ethical conditions. Its not always possible so i just try to wear what i have for a long time and care for it. Like the saying goes "Im too poor to wear cheap clothes".

If something does need to be thrown away i will use it for rags first for cleaning etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Parchment wrote: »
    I try to be aware of the impact clothes make on the environment and the conditions in which they can be made.

I know it sounds so airy fairy but it has huge effects on our planet and peoples lives. The True Cost is a great documentary about it. Fast fashion such as Penneys etc is a blight and people dont see it.

I try to buy things secondhand on Ebay - mostly designer stuff thats well made in ethical conditions. Its not always possible so i just try to wear what i have for a long time and care for it. Like the saying goes "Im too poor to wear cheap clothes".

If something does need to be thrown away i will use it for rags first for cleaning etc.

Not airy fairy in the slightest. Hyper-consumption is killing the planet. People need to be a lot more conscious of these things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Rarely throw anything out, but rarely buy anything either. I despise shopping, it stresses me out.

I partake in the seemingly forgotten art of 'mending'. My trusty sewing box has gotten me out of a lot of shopping trips. I'd much rather sew up a hem, replace a zipper or dye some life back into worn clothes.

In terms of my children's clothes, if nobody in the family wants or needs them then I'll pop them into a charity bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Parchment wrote: »

Do you know what, both my mom and my grandmother used to do that. I don't know why I never did (well, yes, Id do, it's because at one point my mom got too lazy to cut things up before using them for rags, and I found myself being asked to wash the dishes with an old pair of undies from one of my brothers - I refused to use it and it freaked me out for quite a while), but I will start cutting up old T-Shirts to use as rags in the bathroom from now on.

Thanks for that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Usually I clear out twice a year, giving four or five black bags to charity.

This year, I've lost a good deal of weight, so I've had to clear out every 2-3 months, and then replenish the wardrobe. I haven't really bought much in 3 months, half of my clothes are much too big, so I need to do a massive clear out over the new year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh I forgot about rags! Some worn out clothes get used as rags (flannel pjs and old towels are perfect for this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Never. Wear them until they can be worn no more then sleep in them then they get used for cleaning.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Shenshen wrote: »
    Twice a year, usually.

I still operate on the 2 sets of clothes system I grew up with - one set is winter clothes, one set is summer clothes. The set that's not in season gets packed away under the bed, in a big vacuum bag, the other one is in the wardrobe to be worn. So when I switch over in spring and autumn, I bring the things I haven't worn once that year to charity. It's usually only 4 or 5 items each time, but it keeps things nice and tidy :)

That must be a bit more complicated in Ireland, no? When it's 11 degrees and pissing rain in August which bag are the right clothes going to be in?

I'm the opposite, I kept the Irish habit of just 'clothes' and adjusting the number of layers as appropriate.

To answer the main question, once they have worn completely out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Thread has inspired me to have a clearout. I could be some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

Winterlong wrote: »
    Thread has inspired me to have a clearout. I could be some time.

It could take all winter long Winterlong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Every 3 months I take everything out of the wardrobe/presses and drawers in my room and lay them on the bed and go through each item (usually trying them on for size/fit) and putting every single item back into the wardrobe again as....they still fit me and I might wear it sometime if I'm stuck for something to wear.

I have 27 pairs of jeans, 6 million T shirts, 30 pairs of shoes, boots, trainers and about 48,000 jumpers/shirts and jerseys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Throw out...clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

Whenever I see a cotton bobble, I know it's time to replace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Twice a year spring and autumn. Anything that I haven't worn in the past year will never be worn and I give them to the charity shop. Rugby Jerseys etc get passed on to mates who will wear them at training. Socks jocks and t shirts go in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

I throw away my underwear when one of the holes gets big enough for a ball to slip through, that gets a tad uncomfortable. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Thought "throw out" just meant "bin" - I would do that extremely rarely, they'd have to be no use even as rags.

Charity shop/recycle - as I need to do so in bits and pieces rather than waiting to fill a black bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Baxterly13

Underwear twice a year! Regular clothes I usually will wear and keep for as long as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Nesser

Twice a year, usually.

I still operate on the 2 sets of clothes system I grew up with - one set is winter clothes, one set is summer clothes. The set that's not in season gets packed away under the bed, in a big vacuum bag, the other one is in the wardrobe to be worn. So when I switch over in spring and autumn, I bring the things I haven't worn once that year to charity. :)

Sounds fierce complicated. I have no realdifferentation between winter and summer clothes. Jeans are just jeans. Shirts are shirts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

That must be a bit more complicated in Ireland, no? When it's 11 degrees and pissing rain in August which bag are the right clothes going to be in?

I'm the opposite, I kept the Irish habit of just 'clothes' and adjusting the number of layers as appropriate.

To answer the main question, once they have worn completely out.

I actually operate similar system to Shenshen. I have some all season clothing like shirts and blouses. Clothes with wool in them and heavy coats are put away in summer, light clothing and thin cotton jumpers are moved to hot press in winter. Also certain patterns and colors are worn only in summer or winter.

Anyway I buy a bit but in last two years there is only one pair of work trousers I bought and don't wear because they are too small. They were part of an extra sale on top of a sale in Gap and too cheep to go through the hassle of returning them. So I keep telling myself they will fit me some day. But mostly I look for quality materials and good tailoring and get a good wear out of clothes.

I clear out stuff when it doesn't fit me or it is shabby looking. I drop shoes to cobbler to be repaired, I mend what can be mended but for example coat with frayed sleeves or shiny material around stitches will never look right and has to go. An area where I am very wasteful is kids clothing. I don't bother if stuff gets stained or torn and it usually goes into recycling bin. Few items that are still presentable after kids are done with them are passed on.

Btw I don't bother shopping in Penny's. Shop where clothing is just pilled and thrown around, often thorn and stained and threated like it's nothing doesn't deserve my money. Someone had to work damn hard and earn very little to make that and it deserves better. Top Shop used to have very similar attitude and I stopped shopping there too. I think they might have improved but I am too old for their stuff now anyway.

Do you know what, both my mom and my grandmother used to do that. I don't know why I never did (well, yes, Id do, it's because at one point my mom got too lazy to cut things up before using them for rags, and I found myself being asked to wash the dishes with an old pair of undies from one of my brothers - I refused to use it and it freaked me out for quite a while), but I will start cutting up old T-Shirts to use as rags in the bathroom from now on.

Thanks for that! :)

As children way back in the days before tissues, if we got a cold we were issued with a rag from the kitchen drawer that gathered such things. Always a very soft piece of old cotton sheeting.... When it was manky it went on the back of the fire.... Most of our jerseys had over stretched sleeves from shoving big rags etc up them...

I buy clothes at charity shops, Walking through the clothes dept in Dunnes I am horrified at the cost of the simplest of clothes and wonder how anyone with eg a job that means you have to look smart manages.

Even nightclothes.. and as for children's wear !

Do none of you make your own? My generation always did.a "fent" of a yard and a quarter from the market made a dress and matching knickers for us. With a huge hem to be let down ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Never.

Have a good suit that realistically will do me the rest of my life unless the moths eat it and when the other clothes like t shirts and jeans get too worn I use them for jobs like painting etc.

Old clothes are handy for cleaning the windows also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement