Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have any Moderators ever been banned?

• 30-12-2016 2:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Just something I was wondering. Obviously the mods aren't likely to be trouble makers but I would wonder if they ever accidentally got themselves banned for missing a rule or what not. In one thread I seen a mod get a card for ignoring a rule but I wonder if they've ever been banned? Would a banned mod be demodded? These are the questions.

Naturally if this isn't allowed to be talked about close away and I apologise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Just something I was wondering. Obviously the mods aren't likely to be trouble makers but I would wonder if they ever accidentally got themselves banned for missing a rule or what not. In one thread I seen a mod get a card for ignoring a rule but I wonder if they've ever been banned? Would a banned mod be demodded? These are the questions.

Naturally if this isn't allowed to be talked about close away and I apologise.

Atari jaguar banned in 3-2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

At I guess I'd say Terry has to have been, but it's only a guess

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

How does one become a Moderator?

Shannon757 wrote: »

You have to know PigHead, he'll fill you in

21/25

uch wrote: »

Don't tell more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Didn't the swine flu get him in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I've seen mods carded before, never seen them banned.

Maybe The Hill Billy has them shot?

magentis wrote: »
    Didn't the swine flu get him in the end?

Search Prison for Pighead, it's worth a read

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You get nominated by some of the old sweats round here.
    There's a waiting list at the moment but you might get lucky.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mods have been demodded in the past for behaviour that was incompatible with them continuing as a mod, although it's not a common occurrence. But have any mods been banned? To be honest I'm not sure. I guess it must have happened at some stage given the number of mods and how long Boards has been going, but I don't know for certain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Zaph wrote: »
    Mods have been demodded in the past for behaviour that was incompatible with them continuing as a mod, although it's not a common occurrence. But have any mods been banned? To be honest I'm not sure. I guess it must have happened at some stage given the number of mods and how long Boards has been going, but I don't know for certain.

'demodded'

So......

hanged, drawn and quartered

Ah thats no fun now, you could have made something up, like somebody stole a pen or something and was banned forever

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

What would constitute a mod being demodded but not needing to be banned also? Surely if a mod did something that was so severe they were stripped of their mod status they'd have gotten a ban to boot? I'm not just talking sitebans either forum bans etc count also

There are two ways to become a mod. The traditional route involves the time honoured ritual of unmarked, non-sequential notes in brown envelopes. Or if you're a bit of a rebel you can be a good, active contributor to a forum and not be a pain in the ass for the mods there, and in time you may be invited to become a mod of the forum.

What would constitute a mod being demodded but not needing to be banned also? Surely if a mod did something that was so severe they were stripped of their mod status they'd have gotten a ban to boot? I'm not just talking sitebans either forum bans etc count also

There have been specific instances that involved demodding but I'm not going to go into them here as the details are between the mods concerned, the admins and/or the office.

There are two ways to become a mod. The traditional route involves the time honoured ritual of unmarked, non-sequential notes in brown envelopes. Or if you're a bit of a rebel you can be a good, active contributor to a forum and not be a pain in the ass for the mods there, and in time you may be invited to become a mod of the forum.

... how many notes we talking? I got about 250,000 post it notes in various colours.

Genuine question Zaph, if a user was ever to receive a warning or whatnot just as a once off does that make them an automatic no no for mod role or is it just users who really cause mods trouble?

*opens wallet and 50 pack of brown envelopes*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I've been banned from fora on two occasions.Basically was banned as any normal user would be for breaking the forum in questions rules.I didn't read the rules of the forum and got a ban that was rightly deserved.

A mod is only a mod of their own forum.In all other fora they are a regular user and should follow the rules like everyone else.

... how many notes we talking? I got about 250,000 post it notes in various colours.

But do you mouve ?

21/25

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No, mods who get banned from a forum the odd time aren't demodded. I've certainly banned several mods from AH.

• Advertisement

Genuine question Zaph, if a user was ever to receive a warning or whatnot just as a once off does that make them an automatic no no for mod role or is it just users who really cause mods trouble?

No, if that were the case we'd never find new mods! Now obviously a persistent record of cards and bans is going to put you out of the running. But everyone is human and someone may have the odd minor indiscretion in the past but has a more recent record of not causing work for the mods. In cases like that they'd still be considered for modship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Hardly ban themselves now would they? One thing I cant stand (of course only on other forums : ) is mods taking sides and banning people based on a petty vendetta or siding with the guy with like 10 million posts.Should be totally inpartial, very rarely are. See this all the time on forums. (other forums)

No, if that were the case we'd never find new mods! Now obviously a persistent record of cards and bans is going to put you out of the running. But everyone is human and someone may have the odd minor indiscretion in the past but has a more recent record of not causing work for the mods. In cases like that they'd still be considered for modship.

Is Pighead v Gordon your favourite prison thread ?

21/25

This is turning into a Mods Q&A

21/25

Anyone gotta a link? Or even approx date there's thousands or prison threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

[quote="Atari JaguarI seen[/quote]

This happens way too often.

I can't say I have a particular favourite tbh.
    This is turning into a Mods Q&A

I'm afraid it's not, I have work in the morning so night all.

This happens way too often.

Explain perhaps?

I'm afraid it's not, I have work in the morning so night all.

You'll be back. They always come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've been here six years and was lounging around longer.

I've seen a few a go but I'd never give their names.

To do so would make me a Rat Bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Sorry, I was using an old college boards way of adding bold into a quote. When you uttered the words "I seen", I couldn't cope.

Anyone gotta a link? Or even approx date there's thousands or prison threads.
    About 7 years ago, give or take 5 or 6 years

21/25

About 7 years ago, give or take 5 or 6 years

Helpful

Helpful
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055335201

Only one I can find, you'll have to figure out the search button yourself

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

My memory is that the most self righteous man in the history of Ireland, that everyone else in Ireland absolutely hated, was a mod here and never banned. And by hated, I mean despised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My memory is that the most self righteous man in the history of Ireland, that everyone else in Ireland absolutely hated, was a mod here and never banned. And by hated, I mean despised.

I never realised Bono was a mod here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Peregrine wrote: »
    No, mods who get banned from a forum the odd time aren't demodded. I've certainly banned several mods from AH.
    Any mods ever get site-banned?

=-=

As for Pighead, just look at his Feedback threads; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56654342

Pighead has nothing on Bubbles, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Yitzhak Rabin.

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Does no-one remember Our Man in Havana's meltdown one night?
    It was a while ago so can just about remember sectarian rantings here one night which led to a site ban when he was a mod.
    Must add he always seemed like a good mod as well but the whole can of crazy got opened that night. I think a lot of posts got deleted in the aftermath.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am aware of one mod who was site-banned for a month for issues elsewhere on the site. They retained their modship when their ban was up. They did step down but it was some time after and unrelated to the "incident". For obvious reasons I won't go into the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

And I did hear, anecdotally, (but from the horse's mouth) of one person who was made a Moderator, and banned for infraction, on the same day!
    Was experienced as a very surreal day. I didn't hear what happened afterwards, the end of the story. Good story, though. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Mods, a special breed of men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It's unpossible to ban a fellow mod in the forum you both mod. You can card a fellow mod in a forum you both mod though. 😶

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It's unpossible to ban a fellow mod in the forum you both mod. You can card a fellow mod in a forum you both mod though. 😶

I don't know if it's still the case but cmods could ban mods from their own forum. When I was rec cmod I had some fun with the after hours mods when I figured that one out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Tried to do that one very drunken night and failed miserably :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Beasty wrote: »
    I am aware of one mod who was site-banned for a month for issues elsewhere on the site. They retained their modship when their ban was up. They did step down but it was some time after and unrelated to the "incident". For obvious reasons I won't go into the details.

I always thought it was really bizarre that they were banned for something so serious, but allowed to continue modding on their return.

I wouldn't have treated mods of other forums any differently to non mod users, of anything I would expect them to treat the forums I nodded the way they would expect me to treat theirs. I definitely banned and carded some over the years. I had more card and ban reversals than anyone else though because if you were decent in your response PM and got why you were actioned then I didn't see the point of leaving the action in place after it had served its purpose.

By what would you know about that eh ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055335201

Only one I can find, you'll have to figure out the search button yourself

So back in the day, anyone could "contribute" to a prison thread?

Hard to see why that wouldn't work too well.:)

9or10 wrote: »
    So back in the day, anyone could "contribute" to a prison thread?

Hard to see why that wouldn't work too well.:)

Nope, it was a technical error that gave pig head access :p

Also, the search function doesn't work in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Nope, it was a technical error that gave pig head access :p

Also, the search function doesn't work in prison.

Pity. It looked like fun, more like "Celebrity Roast.

What about all the others joining in the roast?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement