Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have any Moderators ever been banned?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Hardly ban themselves now would they?
    No, other mods ban them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Hardly ban themselves now would they? One thing I cant stand (of course only on other forums : ) is mods taking sides and banning people based on a petty vendetta or siding with the guy with like 10 million posts.Should be totally inpartial, very rarely are. See this all the time on forums. (other forums)

I don't think that's entirely true tbh, based on my experience.

Between this account and others, I've racked up about 20K posts. I've gotten about 3/4 infractions in total, all ages ago, so a fairly clean record I guess.

A person who caused an awful lot of hassle for mods/admin, posted something in a thread here in AH. I posted a not very nice reply, and whoopsa (correctly, because I said something very mean!) immediately gave me a one day ban.

Having loads of posts and a mostly clean record vs someone who hasn't got a good record, doesn't mean the more active poster will be sided with.

I think a mod got a permanent ban back in the day. Very em controversial and some hoo haa about gambling. The one I'm thinking of now I may be getting her mixed up with the gambling thing. Or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I've been banned from fora on two occasions.Basically was banned as any normal user would be for breaking the forum in questions rules.I didn't read the rules of the forum and got a ban that was rightly deserved.

A mod is only a mod of their own forum.In all other fora they are a regular user and should follow the rules like everyone else.

That is the supposed rule...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I was a moderator here years ago. I got banned from a forum by a fellow moderator who just didn't like me. Fair enough I suppose. He didn't have much going for him apart from his micro management role here.

I did get my revenge a few months later though. He was a terrible egotist and was always posting pictures of himself on this website. Who did I spot a few weeks later cycling along in traffic on a very wet day? Mr. Fûcking Moderator. Where was I? In my car. What was that on the side of the road? A huge puddle of water. What did I do? Drive into the puddle and saturate the bastard.

I was a moderator here years ago. I got banned from a forum by a fellow moderator who just didn't like me. Fair enough I suppose. He didn't have much going for him apart from his micro management role here.

I did get my revenge a few months later though. He was a terrible egotist and was always posting pictures of himself on this website. Who did I spot a few weeks later cycling along in traffic on a very wet day? Mr. Fûcking Moderator. Where was I? In my car. What was that on the side of the road? A huge puddle of water. What did I do? Drive into the puddle and saturate the bastard.

That didn't happen.......!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Well I for one definitely believe all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Well I for one definitely believe all that.

As I read it, I thought Of Fcuk he's mown him down.

Meet allsorts on t'internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

He was a cyclist. He deserved it.

Bannnnnneeeeddddddd!!!!!!! (from certain forum)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Didn't the mod of the thunderdome get banned for sharing private images of another poster or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

I've seen a couple of mods over the years (I've been lurking a long time) be mods and then have the Banned sticker under their names. I -think- their names were either in italics or just plain text by then, but I can't be sure there's not a couple with the Bold Text Of Modhood still. I suppose once you're site-banned anyway your actual status otherwise is a bit of a moot point!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He was a cyclist. He deserved it.

I bloody well didn't.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Beasty wrote: »
    I bloody well didn't.....

Are you a cyclist?

A) Yes (go to point 1)

B) No (go to point 2)

1) yes you did

2) no you did not

Ah I kid,

Just in certain forums, criticise cyclists and the mods hand out cards like jellybeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

I don't think that's entirely true tbh, based on my experience.

Between this account and others, I've racked up about 20K posts. I've gotten about 3/4 infractions in total, all ages ago, so a fairly clean record I guess.

A person who caused an awful lot of hassle for mods/admin, posted something in a thread here in AH. I posted a not very nice reply, and whoopsa (correctly, because I said something very mean!) immediately gave me a one day ban.

Having loads of posts and a mostly clean record vs someone who hasn't got a good record, doesn't mean the more active poster will be sided with.

In my experience it's the opposite they do but fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

uch wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055335201

Only one I can find, you'll have to figure out the search button yourself

Think that link is wrong? Supposed to be a funny thread but it just looks like a few posters giving each other a public backslap?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That is the supposed rule...........

Well in my case it was followed through with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I think a mod got a permanent ban back in the day. Very em controversial and some hoo haa about gambling. The one I'm thinking of now I may be getting her mixed up with the gambling thing. Or something.

It was definitely something. Or maybe other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I think a mod got a permanent ban back in the day. Very em controversial and some hoo haa about gambling................

The same process has been actioned:

When someone who believes they are a hi ranking professional in that topic in question (for arguments sake lets say music) comes across a thread relating to their professional area, where the mod concerned has posted.

This professional post a very vehement post disagreeing with the mod post in question.

The professional then reports the mod post.

The mod post gets a red card.

I have seen this happen very unfairly.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    The same process has been actioned:

When someone who believes they are a hi ranking professional in that topic in question (for arguments sake lets say music) comes across a thread relating to their professional area, where the mod concerned has posted.

This professional post a very vehement post disagreeing with the mod post in question.

The professional then reports the mod post.

The mod post gets a red card.

I have seen this happen very unfairly.

I would like to see some examples of this as it is a pretty "precisely put" (as in its a very specific, true or not I haven't a clue) claim,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

NO can do.

• Advertisement

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    NO can do.

didn''t think so.............. ;)

Don't be offended but the doubting Thomas residing in me would believe it if it was the other way around (ie, the "professional"? poster getting sanctioned for "showing up" a mod or being vehement about someone's opinion in a bloody music thread, he gets sanctioned)

I don't see the logic behind the mod being banned, and thats even ignoring the fact he has mystical mod powers!

You will have to elaborate more as your post makes no sense!

(Again, please, I mean no disrespect to the poster, just the post)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, it would have been really confusing otherwise! :D

mzungu wrote: »
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up, it would have been really confusing otherwise! :D

:pac:

It was a 'famous' mod and the forum was private. I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mods do get banned, I've done it and seen it myself. It's getting a bit close to naming names so I'm going to lock this up, feel free to continue in Help Desk or Feedback but I'm not sure how far you'll get there either.

Cheers :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement