Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skylake or wait for kaby lake

Options
  • 30-12-2016 6:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

would anyone recommend whether to wait for the 7700k to be released or to go with a 6700k, i know there will be a price difference and only thing between them seems to be a few hundred megahertz in speed, no other benefits in my eyes

would the price of skylake go down when kaby is released or do intels cpus prices stay the same usually?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

They'll usually drop a small bit. It all depends what kind of hurry you're in. If the boards are compatible you'd be fine but you could be waiting a few weeks for decent priced boards to come out. Performance wise you're not going to miss much apart from 4K encryption i think that the film studios etc enforced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

TBH the bigger question out there is AMD or Intel one Ryzen hits. My money is still on Intel for gaming until DX12 is firmly established but we might see some price reductions from Intel.

ah AMD aren't even at the races anymore in fairness.
    If you want a cheap build then by all means but for med-high gaming...its intel all the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Blazer wrote: »
    If you want a cheap build then by all means but for med-high gaming...its intel all the way..

We're talking about the upcoming AMD Zen stuff, which (from all leaked rumours) look to be on-par with Intel's offerings.

I normally wouldn't recommend waiting, you'll always be waiting but Intel have had the market to themselves for the better part of ten years. So long that people forget AMD was the better chip way back. The market is long over due a shake up and while I suspect AMD will only be on par, hopefully we'll see the monopoly that Intel have had broken and prices of both motherboards and CPUs come down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hotshot88

yeah true the prices of even the haswell cpus are still that of the skylake(prop cause their still one of their best)

going from an oced fx6300 so i was fancying a i7 when i upgraded, might wait for both kaby and zen to hit the sites and see if it causes a stir in prices

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    We're talking about the upcoming AMD Zen stuff, which (from all leaked rumours) look to be on-par with Intel's offerings.

we hear that now for every release and AMD always disappoint.
    They really can't complete with Intel at the high end anyway as they're just don't have the capital to do so. Nowadays they're more focussed on the mainstream lowerend and the graphics division.
    It's a pity as they pushed intel for years with Opteron and Athlon etc.

hotshot88 wrote: »
    yeah true the prices of even the haswell cpus are still that of the skylake(prop cause their still one of their best)

going from an oced fx6300 so i was fancying a i7 when i upgraded, might wait for both kaby and zen to hit the sites and see if it causes a stir in prices

an i7 is complete overkill if you're only into gaming etc. I'm a big gamer and always got the very best but for my new build I went this time with an i5 and I don't see any difference.
    Its really only if you're into Virtual Machine's, audio/video editing and running multiple GPU machines that you need an i7 for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

an i7 is complete overkill if you're only into gaming etc. I'm a big gamer and always got the very best but for my new build I went this time with an i5 and I don't see any difference.
    Its really only if you're into Virtual Machine's, audio/video editing and running multiple GPU machines that you need an i7 for.

More and more new games are starting to run much better with i7s, in the past you wouldn't have noticed but now there's a difference appearing

5Ghz rumours for Ryzen - personally I think it's an easter egg but...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not really anymore, games like Fallout 4 and Battlefield 1 show massive gains on i7's compared to i5's, and in these games, even 1st gen i7's from 2009 hold up remarkably well due to the extra threads.

I think Zen is a good thing as it should drive down prices, but I don't buy into the hype either. Leaked benchmarks have their top end processor trading blows with Intel's 6800K etc - which is great.

But in gaming benchmarks, which is what most people are looking at, this unnamed CPU at the very top-end is still slightly behind the i5-6600 non-k.

So I would expect that 'mainstream' Zen will be significantly behind, again, though overclocking obviously will help immensely if it's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They mentioned a reddit leak from a french tech pub on last nights WAN show that is quite hopeful that AMD have finally got the thermals in line (93W to the wall). Leaves lots of thermal room at least for OCing back to Bulldozer temps.

Would be a nice start to 2017 to see a shake up in the market.

Advertisement