Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming across europe

Options
  • 30-12-2016 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi, If I have roaming across Europe in my vodafone package, Can I call any EU country from Ireland, and stay within my package. ?? Siii

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

What price plan are you on ? Check your bill for the name of your price plan & I can let you know .

CVB

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sjfoley

€35.00
    RED Connect SIMO 12 month

unlimited
    anytime minutes
    unlimited
    anytime texts
    worldwide Minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sjfoley

CVB wrote: »
    What price plan are you on ? Check your bill for the name of your price plan & I can let you know .

CVB

€35.00
    RED Connect SIMO 12 month

unlimited
    anytime minutes
    unlimited
    anytime texts
    worldwide minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

On this plan the 100 international minutes can be used in Ireland to call abroad international numbers i.e. U.K. Mobile & landlines etc . Full list of countries visit Vodafone.ie

If your roaming with this plan you can use your home allowances abroad unlimited calls and texts to Ireland and within the Red Connect Roaming Countries and you can use you data allownce abroad i.e. 6GB

CVB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

From when roaming cost is abolished, in June. Will our consumption in the EU go against our plans or it will be charged at local rates as "out of plan" charges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

What happens if you are on PAYG and you buy 1GB of data for a month in Ireland and then go on hols to say Spain for a week out of that month.
    Is it the same allowance since you bought it in Ireland?
    Is there a difference for PAYG.

Remember tescomobile found a loophole last year when the charges were supposed to go down and actually increased them by a lot.
    Im sure they are trying to get around this ruling again as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

76544567 wrote: »
    What happens if you are on PAYG and you buy 1GB of data for a month in Ireland and then go on hols to say Spain for a week out of that month.
    Is it the same allowance since you bought it in Ireland?
    Is there a difference for PAYG.

Remember tescomobile found a loophole last year when the charges were supposed to go down and actually increased them by a lot.
    Im sure they are trying to get around this ruling again as I type.

As far as I see it they will have no option to get out of this one as TescoMobile did last April.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-16-4396_en.htm

The rules will protect consumers from adverse effects of an increase in domestic prices:
    For pre- paid metered contracts: when a customer goes abroad, she/he can "Roam like at Home" up the amount of credit remaining on the pre-paid card. For data, the customer can use at least the volume that can be purchased by the remaining credit on the pre-paid card at the wholesale roaming data price cap.

For the most competitive contracts that offer unlimited data or data at very low domestic prices, below the wholesale cap: when a customer goes abroad she/he will continue to enjoy the full allowance of calls and texts. For data, the customer will have at least twice the volume of data that can be purchased by the value of the customer's monthly contract at the wholesale roaming data price cap.

MBSnr wrote: »
    As far as I see it they will have no option to get out of this one as TescoMobile did last April.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-16-4396_en.htm

The rules will protect consumers from adverse effects of an increase in domestic prices:
    For pre- paid metered contracts: when a customer goes abroad, she/he can "Roam like at Home" up the amount of credit remaining on the pre-paid card. For data, the customer can use at least the volume that can be purchased by the remaining credit on the pre-paid card at the wholesale roaming data price cap.

For the most competitive contracts that offer unlimited data or data at very low domestic prices, below the wholesale cap: when a customer goes abroad she/he will continue to enjoy the full allowance of calls and texts. For data, the customer will have at least twice the volume of data that can be purchased by the value of the customer's monthly contract at the wholesale roaming data price cap.

So if someone on Tescomobile PAYG for example, buys 5GB of data for €10 and then goes abroad they can still use the rest of that 10GB while they are abroad?

Hopefully thats the case, because it was very sneaky what tescomobile did to their customers last year.

So if someone on Tescomobile PAYG for example, buys 5GB of data for €10 and then goes abroad they can still use the rest of that 10GB while they are abroad?

Hopefully thats the case, because it was very sneaky what tescomobile did to their customers last year.

Well kinda...maybe... who knows exactly. My reading of it is this.
    The wholesale cap will be initially set at €7.70 for a Gb (drops in steps to €2.50 after 2022). So depending on how TM implement it, your €10 could give you 1.3Gb of data (based on the €7.70/Gb rate) before the €10 is used up - instead of the 5Gb you bought. It depends if they do it that way in billing against the bundle and calling that 'credit' or using the actual real credit/balance left - if you get my meaning.

Of course Tescomobile may not be charged the max cap rate by the roaming operator and may not charge their PAYG customers the full cap amount either. But you know TescoMobile... I bet they do even if they are not billed the cap...

^^^

Found this which kinda explains it on pg 2. http://europa.eu/rapid/attachment/MEMO-16-4396/en/factsheet_roaming_technical_Jan17.pdf

With PAYG they will use your existing credit to work out how much data you are entitled to. However it doesn't mention what happens if you are PAYG and have purchased a data bundle. I guess they'll have to deduct it out of that first, then any further data is subject to the amount of credit left. It's still vague enough though. What happens if you make calls and texts and reduce your credit? How much data do you remain with? Since there are no examples stating this, I really expect TM to try their best to wriggle out of things.

At least with Bill Pay it is slightly clearer - you get to use your call/text/data bundles then just pay the domestic out of bundle charge that you would otherwise pay if your bundles ran out in Ireland.

• Advertisement

MBSnr wrote: »

Big mockery made of it last year and now again.
    Last time I ever believe anything like this is actually going to benefit the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dubecho

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dubecho

Advertisement