Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Trimming

Options
  • 30-12-2016 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to reduce the size of the tree. It is heading for telephone cable. Looks like someone had a go before and there are two tops now. What is the proper way to reduce the height. Also should I remove the branches that are very low to the ground.

b4nKN9Q.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just take the top off again. Do NOT remove the lower branches as this will do nothing for the height and will ruin the look of the tree completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

wingnut wrote: »
    Is it possible to reduce the size of the tree. It is heading for telephone cable. Looks like someone had a go before and there are two tops now. What is the proper way to reduce the height. Also should I remove the branches that are very low to the ground.

b4nKN9Q.jpg

That tree isn't suitable for that site and will only begin to look worse over time as you will have to continually top it every year or two.
    My advice would be to whip it out now and plant something more suitable to the site like a Japanese maple for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

That tree isn't suitable for that site and will only begin to look worse over time as you will have to continually top it every year or two.
    My advice would be to whip it out now and plant something more suitable to the site like a Japanese maple for example.

Why so, can you elaborate....

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SixSixSix

rje66 wrote: »
    Why so, can you elaborate....

Because it will continue to grow upwards - possibly for another 10m + so you will have to keep cutting...
    Cutting the growing point will result in a misshapen specimen - it won't look like a triangular christmas tree in a few years!
    No harm in keeping it but as a living christmas tree it is not in a suitable site.

Advertisement