Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns of the Rising

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Base price

tac foley wrote: »
    This thread has just been started over on www.gunboards.com, and I thought that some here might be interested in it.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?668794-Irish-!916-Rebellion-and-use-of-Norwegian-Krag&p=5968770#post5968770

Does anybody here own a rifle or carbine that might have been used at that time?

In either direction?

tac
    My late FIL had a Lee Enfield that was handed down to him by a older relative who was a Volunteer. The gun was hidden in the attic of the house. I only saw it once around 1983/84 and the bolt was rusted into the action iykwim as was the magazine. After he died it was handed into the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Just like most of all of them, I'd guess. What a pity, eh?

That was real history, right there in your hands.

I have nothing from those days in Ireland, but I DO have a Mauser carbine was was used with great effect by a Boer against the Australians in its last fight, and who knows who else before that?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Base price

In my innocence I associate guns with hunting that is what I have used them for. When I saw the 303 I wondered had anyone been killed with a bullet from it and if so how many considering it's past history. It is the only time that I have handled a gun and thought about human casualties. The other thing that struck me was how heavy it was compared to my .22lr or s/s.
    My MIL was terrified that it would be found and she would get into trouble. I only found out after that it had been handed into the guards. I would have kept it myself if I had been given the opportunity, got it decommissioned (if that's the right word) and cleaned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Only gun of that time I've ever held and fired was an old 1897 Winchester 12 ga riot gun with RIC harp and serial number.Shot well,and was a blast with the slam fire feature.The outside hammer was a great saftey feature too,would have bought it,had I been a bit more wealthy back then in the 80s.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement