Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking at mitsubishi outlander phev and hyundai niro

• 30-12-2016 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

looking at mitsubishi outlander phev and hyundai niro
    leaning towards niro at moment abit
    be first hybrid , do a good bit of driving ,limerick ,cork to dublin couple times a week , rest time local
    whats your experience of these 2 i picked, pros and cons , which one better

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

If your doing a lot of motorway driving not sure a hybrid is the best solution. In my opinion hybrids are better suited where you're doing considerable amount of town/city driving. When your on the open motorway your running on petrol carrying the extra weight of the batterys.  Even though I don't like diesels I suspect they are the best for your usage. I assume your talking about the Hundai IONIQ, in which case comparing the Outlander to the IONIQ is a bit like comparing apples and oranges, there two different classes of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

steelboots wrote: »
    If your doing a lot of motorway driving not sure a hybrid is the best solution. In my opinion hybrids are better suited where you're doing considerable amount of town/city driving. When your on the open motorway your running on petrol carrying the extra weight of the batterys.  Even though I don't like diesels I suspect they are the best for your usage. I assume your talking about the Hundai IONIQ, in which case comparing the Outlander to the IONIQ is a bit like comparing apples and oranges, there two different classes of car.
    Cheers for that
    At moment do motorway miles but that change towards third quarter of next year when I be doing all local mileage. So was looking at both of these .is maintance high with hybrids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

You probably mean Kia Niro :pac: :pac:

YanisK wrote: »

You probably mean Kia Niro :pac: :pac:
    I'm stand corrected
    Yes I was
    Like the phev

The Outlander, is a completely different category from the Niro. Purchased new, it's about double the price of Niro.

And you get about 35 miles on batteries, plus speeds up to 110km/h before the engine kicks in.

• Advertisement

The Outlander, is a completely different category from the Niro. Purchased new, it's about double the price of Niro.

And you get about 35 miles on batteries, plus speeds up to 110km/h before the engine kicks in.
    Outlander is better of the two . What maintenance like with hybrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Outlander is better of the two . What maintenance like with hybrid

Very little maintenance, especially if most of your driving is in an urban environment. Power delivery is so smooth very little wear and tare on other parts too.

If your doing lots of long runs, hybrid won't really suit ya. If your in traffic or doing urban driving, with the odd long run, hybrid is a dream.

Outlander phev are very good value in the U.K.

Very little maintenance, especially if most of your driving is in an urban environment. Power delivery is so smooth very little wear and tare on other parts too.

If your doing lots of long runs, hybrid won't really suit ya. If your in traffic or doing urban driving, with the odd long run, hybrid is a dream.

Outlander phev are very good value in the U.K.

cheers for that, the outlander suits me good,
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The Niro phev is not yet available. I wasn't impressed with the niro at all tbh. Mywife, who knows nothing about cars even commented on the "cheap look" of the niro and the Kia range in general. The new models seem to have taken a dive in quality and a hike in price.

I sat into the outlander (non phev, as there was none in stock) and I loved it. It felt like the right car for me. If only the price was more attractive. 50k is not small change. The outlander is a potential on my list though, including the phev if the sums add up.

goz83 wrote: »
    I sat into the outlander (non phev, as there was none in stock) and I loved it. It felt like the right car for me. If only the price was more attractive. 50k is not small change. The outlander is a potential on my list though, including the phev if the sums add up.

There are a few 2-3 year old ones around 15k GBP which means you can have it rolling with IE plates for less than 20k. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

The Outlander PHEV is the one to go for.

Again if you are looking for value there are a ton coming off lease in the UK ATM due to the preferential BIK in the UK for PHEVs.

There are a few 2-3 year old ones around 15k GBP which means you can have it rolling with IE plates for less than 20k. :pac:

I will most likely be bringing in a 6-12 month old model. Having done a fair bit of looking into them, it seems the new model has quite a few improvements over the old one and I should be able to land one here for not much more than 30k.

I will bide my time and wait for one that I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Don't wait too long... the extra supply of PHEV Outlanders in the UK will come to an end fairly quickly.

The 0% BIK rate that's causing it was pulled for PHEVs in early 2016.

cros13 wrote: »
    Don't wait too long... the extra supply of PHEV Outlanders in the UK will come to an end fairly quickly.

The 0% BIK rate that's causing it was pulled for PHEVs in early 2016.

I'm not in a position to buy yet unfortunately. I'm sure something will come along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I will most likely be bringing in a 6-12 month old model. Having done a fair bit of looking into them, it seems the new model has quite a few improvements over the old one and I should be able to land one here for not much more than 30k.

I will bide my time and wait for one that I like.

If you have it at hand, can you list the differences between them (or at least the big ones) and when the change occurred?

Was the new model in late 2015 and 2016?

I see some of them are listed in the ads as GX3h and GX4h. Is that a trim level?

Anyone on here have one? What are the real world EV range figures and do they give any trouble?

Off the top of my head, the facelift model was late 2015. It comes with the bumper "shield" (chrome trim).

There was improvement with the petrol generator which made a horrible noise when kicking in. Noise in general was improved in the new model. Improved suspension too.

The GX3H and GX4H (H for hybrid) are correctly trim levels. The 4 comes with leather seats and 7" touch screen sat nav, reversing camera and 360 degree all round camera. There is a GX5 which comes with all the unnecessary safety extras......like lane assist and all the beeping that goes with it. That's all that comes to mind right now.

edited to add, the rear light were changed from those awful lexus style clear lights, to regular red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Good info on the Outlander PHEV here. The devil is in the detail though and you have to remember on the motorway once your battery is depleted you have a 2.0-litre petrol moving quite a heavy vehicle. The text says "30-40mpg" but I doubt that 40 is close to realistic.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mitsubishi/outlander-phev-2014/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That article says:
    You can expect 30-40mpg from the PHEV if the battery is flat, because the engine is not only moving this two-tonne car about, but charging the massive battery too.

I think that's a bit misleading, as it's not going to charge the battery significantly unless you put it in "Battery Charge Mode" which is never going to be good for fuel consumption - this mode is only really useful in certain situations, e.g. if you're approaching steep hills with a low state of charge, and want to use the combined power of the ICE and electric motors.

I'm not too familiar with the Outlander but assume when it's in the normal hybrid mode it will only maintain a low state of charge for moderate assistance, and not have the ICE idling all the time just to charge the battery. On my Prius Plug-in, in Hybrid mode it will only start the ICE for charging once it goes down to about 20-23% SOC, and stop before it gets to 30% (which somewhat replicates the battery capacity of a standard Prius).

Some real world figures here:

Of course, with a PHEV your average fuel consumption will vary significantly depending on how much of your driving you can do in EV mode.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That article says:

I think that's a bit misleading, as it's not going to charge the battery significantly unless you put it in "Battery Charge Mode" which is never going to be good for fuel consumption - this mode is only really useful in certain situations, e.g. if you're approaching steep hills with a low state of charge, and want to use the combined power of the ICE and electric motors.

I think the idea for this mode is more aimed at cities who might ban or otherwise limit Diesel and ICE cars in the city center.

The idea is you charge the battery on the motorway and then swtich to battery only mode when you get into the city center. Thus reducing local pollution.

Not a bad idea, but questionable if people would actually use it.

That article says:

I'm not too familiar with the Outlander but assume when it's in the normal hybrid mode it will only maintain a low state of charge for moderate assistance, and not have the ICE idling all the time just to charge the battery. On my Prius Plug-in, in Hybrid mode it will only start the ICE for charging once it goes down to about 20-23% SOC, and stop before it gets to 30% (which somewhat replicates the battery capacity of a standard Prius).

Some real world figures here:

Of course, with a PHEV your average fuel consumption will vary significantly depending on how much of your driving you can do in EV mode.

I was talking about motorway driving, which is when it will be at its worst, same as any hybrid. Of course motorway economy can be improved by stopping to plug in. A quick google shows people getting 28 to 25 mpg without plugging in.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    I was talking about motorway driving, which is when it will be at its worst, same as any hybrid. Of course motorway economy can be improved by stopping to plug in. A quick google shows people getting 28 to 25 mpg without plugging in.

Let's also mention the 150+ MPG when driving on battery only to be on the fair side.. Both extreme lows and extreme highs are part of the equation anyway. What matters is to get a car that matches your needs.

For example, if you commute 20-30km each way and can charge the Outlander at work, you'll forget when was the last time you were at a gas station :)

Let's also mention the 150+ MPG when driving on battery only to be on the fair side.. Both extreme lows and extreme highs are part of the equation anyway. What matters is to get a car that matches your needs.

For example, if you commute 20-30km each way and can charge the Outlander at work, you'll forget when was the last time you were at a gas station :)

THIS.

If I had an outlander phev, almost all driving would be in EV mode. I would start to worry about the petrol going off in the tank :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm sure it's a fine car but the RRP of the Outlander PHEV is almost €50k. That's a lot of money (twice the price of a fully electric Ioniq). And indeed almost twice the price of the Niro :eek:

Now of course their resale drops like a brick in the first year or two in the UK (like a Leaf) so you can import one second hand and not pay VRT. Or can you? Anyone know the OMSP of a 1 year old, 2 year old and 3 year old one?

unkel wrote: »
    I'm sure it's a fine car but the RRP of the Outlander PHEV is almost €50k. That's a lot of money (twice the price of a fully electric Ioniq). And indeed almost twice the price of the Niro :eek:

Now of course their resale drops like a brick in the first year or two in the UK (like a Leaf) so you can import one second hand and not pay VRT. Or can you? Anyone know the OMSP of a 1 year old, 2 year old and 3 year old one?

Check the Revenue website... Even the oldest will incur some VRT. Not a lot though, between depreciation and reduced VRT they still work out cheaper than a diesel Rav4.

THIS.

If I had an outlander phev, almost all driving would be in EV mode. I would start to worry about the petrol going off in the tank :D
    At a real range of a bit more than 20 miles per charge you'd want to be only using it to go Mass..

Check the Revenue website... Even the oldest will incur some VRT. Not a lot though

Spot on!

2016 OMSP €39k VRT €3.2k (14%)
    2015 OMSP €35k VRT €2.9k (14%)
    2014 OMSP €30k VRT €2.4k (14%)

So there is no €5,000 VRT discount for PHEV then, like there is for BEV?

PHEVs incur the same VRT rebates as hybrids. They're not zero emissions...

unkel wrote: »
    Spot on!

2016 OMSP €39k VRT €3.2k (14%)
    2015 OMSP €35k VRT €2.9k (14%)
    2014 OMSP €30k VRT €2.4k (14%)

So there is no €5,000 VRT discount for PHEV then, like there is for BEV?

As my post above, 14% of 39k is 5460. Minus rebate is 3.2k.

At a real range of a bit more than 20 miles per charge you'd want to be only using it to go Mass..

More, or less. Journeys are usually very short.

It would be great if they launched a full electric version. Even with a lower than leaf range, I would be all over it.

• Advertisement

I doubt they will. Back 7 years ago the first EV (Leaf) owners were happy enough with 120-130km range, today I'd say the only person that would be interested to buy a 80km range BEV Outlander would be you :p

Advertisement