Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking at mitsubishi outlander phev and hyundai niro

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

goz83 wrote: »
    More, or less. Journeys are usually very short.

It would be great if they launched a full electric version. Even with a lower than leaf range, I would be all over it.

You'd still spend more time plugged in than driving!

(The Outlander can "fast" charge on Chademo but it's still ridiculously slow, at around a third the rate of a first gen Leaf)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

n97 mini wrote: »
    At a real range of a bit more than 20 miles per charge you'd want to be only using it to go Mass..

The average daily distance travelled in Ireland is just 27km
    You'd still spend more time plugged in than driving!

(The Outlander can "fast" charge on Chademo but it's still ridiculously slow, at around a third the rate of a first gen Leaf)

Well, you would assume they would also upgrade the charger if they went full EV. Note Mitsubishi is now largely owned by Nissan, so they certainly have the tech.

bk wrote: »
    That doesn't mean everyone is doing it though. Cars which don't do more than school runs or trips to mass are included in that which would be dragging down the average. I'd imagine most commuters would average more.

Well, you would assume they would also upgrade the charger if they went full EV. Note Mitsubishi is now largely owned by Nissan, so they certainly have the tech.
    Or it could go the other way. Chademo is missing from the Outlander in some markets, eg US and Australia, meaning 4 hours charging for 20 or 30 minutes of driving.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That doesn't mean everyone is doing it though. Cars which don't do more than school runs or trips to mass are included in that which would be dragging down the average. I'd imagine most commuters would average more.

Err.. obviously, that is what the word average means!

But that is my point, lots, if not most people actually travel very little most days. I see a queue of SUV's outside my local school every morning. I can guarantee they haven't driven more then one or two km to get there (Dublin City school).

There is a lot, if not most people who drive just 10 or 20km a day. For them a PHEV can be great. Allows them to still have the big heavy SUV that they seem to badly want, but still allows them to run it cheaply day to day, with very little or no local emissions.

Not everyone is commuting 150km to work everyday, in fact such people are in the minority. You also need vehicles for the people who aren't driving much every day, the sunday drivers to mass, etc.

PHEV's certainly do have a place for now, at least until battery technology advances a hell of a lot more and becomes a hell of a lot cheaper.

If you had an EV and found yourself queuing behind PHEVs using fast charge points very slowly to get a 20 mile charge in the same time you can get a 100 mile charge you'd probably eventually conclude that as electric vehicles their place is very limited.

They'd be great if they'd just stay off the public FCPs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Twice I've seen a 330e using the AC on the fast charger at Blanch.

There is an SCP one spot to the right, but I think the owner is worried somebody will steal his cable.

If you had an EV and found yourself queuing behind PHEVs using fast charge points very slowly to get a 20 mile charge in the same time you can get a 100 mile charge you'd probably eventually conclude that as electric vehicles their place is very limited.

They'd be great if they'd just stay off the public FCPs.

This criticism I fully understand. I'd never dream of charging a PHEV outside of my home. It is a downright anti-social thing to do.

A fair charging structure for public charging would sort that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

liamog wrote: »
    Twice I've seen a 330e using the AC on the fast charger at Blanch.

There is an SCP one spot to the right, but I think the owner is worried somebody will steal his cable.
    I was chatting to a 330e owner recently at an SCP, I was charging and he was passing... He asked loads of questions about charging. He only had a granny cable to charge at home so perhaps the SCP vs. FCP issue for 330e guys is; fork out for a cable or use the FCP for free.
    Not great for the infrastructure...

which means a PHEV makes a lot less sense. Ioniq is far better and costs a "lot" less !

which means a PHEV makes a lot less sense. Ioniq is far better and costs a "lot" less !

But an Ioniq isn't a SUV, so it just isn't comparable.

Also an Ioniq still doesn't have quiet enough range for people who do lots of long distance driving on the weekends for instance. A PHEV can fill that niche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I think the idea for this mode is more aimed at cities who might ban or otherwise limit Diesel and ICE cars in the city center.

Yeah I suspected that too, but I'm not aware of any places where this is actually enforced yet.

It certainly would be useful when approaching mountain passes or whatever, as it could struggle if the battery gets depleted while climbing and is relying solely on ICE power (the electric motors are 60 kW each?). Though I'm not sure we have any mountains in Ireland significant enough where this would be a problem :)

Regarding the usefulness of PHEVs: I'm sure a lot of people have short commutes, especially those who don't work in Dublin (like the OP) - but may also have requirements for frequent long distance driving where a BEV may not be practical. My commute is about 7 km each way, and I'm also within EV range for driving in to the city and most Cork suburbs - but I only have one car and want to be able to drive anywhere with it (even to Belfast or further). I also wanted a bigger car than the Leaf (the only realistic BEV option at the time), so went for a PHEV.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I was chatting to a 330e owner recently at an SCP, I was charging and he was passing... He asked loads of questions about charging. He only had a granny cable to charge at home so perhaps the SCP vs. FCP issue for 330e guys is; fork out for a cable or use the FCP for free.
    Not great for the infrastructure...

That makes sense, at least with the efacs we can use the CCS/Chademo at the same time.
    I'd be very annoyed if it was one of the chargers that don't allow AC and DC at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

liamog wrote: »
    That makes sense, at least with the efacs we can use the CCS/Chademo at the same time.
    I'd be very annoyed if it was one of the chargers that don't allow AC and DC at the same time.
    I'd accidentally lean on the emergency button, simple as. BMW are creating the situation by not giving a cable with the car and then eCars are allowing them to have access to the public network, meaning unless they buy the cable it limits their usage to FCPs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I rang a South Dublin Mitsubishi Dealer last week to arrange an extended test drive in an outlander phev. They rang me back on Friday to set up a day. I said Wednesday noon/lunch and said I would be needing the car for a day, or two, because I needed to see how I would get on withe the car. "That's fine" the rep says. He said they would need to bring in the car from Mitsubishi directly, because they only had the old version in stock.

I drove there this morning to pick up the car. I hadn't confirmed if the test was 24 or 48 hours, so I asked the rep on arrival. I had the wife and 2 kids with me and was planning to leave my car there and drive straight back to pick up my daughter from playschool. in just over an hour. At that point, I am told that it is not their policy to give out cars over night and garages don't do that with new cars. I mentioned that Hyundai are doing 48hr test drives and that the 1 hour long test drive (which they call an extended test drive) would be no good and that I didn't have the time to do it anyway, due to the need for me to pick up my daughter, back over the northside. The owner of the garage reiterated that they don't give out cars overnight, but I said that should have been communicated to me before I made time to travel over to them.

Quite disappointed and definitely won't be buying anything there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No 24h test drive, no sale. What's wrong with these people? Do they not want to sell cars? Maybe try another dealer and this time be very specific you want a 24h test drive. Have it confirmed by txt / email.

Advertisement