Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD Help! :)

Options
  • 30-12-2016 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey guys, I'm currently building a custom gaming PC but got the wrong SSD.
    I ordered a Crucial MX300 275GB M.2 SATA III SSD (for laptop's i think) Instead of the 275GB 2.5 inch for my PC. So Basically there is no SATA port to connect it to the motherboard.

I don't think i can refund it now as I've opened it.
    Is there some form of adapter i can use or converter?
    Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Where did you buy the parts from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can also get a standard 2.5" enclosure to use it as a standard sata drive, if you prefer not to use a PCI-E adaptor, some cheaper boards will only have one pci-e lane which may be needed for a graphics card.

What motherboard do you have? Some motherboards will support an M2 drive fine, though typically only found on more expensive boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Many motherboards these days, especially higher end gaming ones, have M2 connectors on them. Are you sure yours doesn't have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 marinewoods

I bought from CCL , an english company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

If you don't get it sorted I'd be interested in buying it off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭razor12345

Id also be interested in buying off you if Rossieman doesnt take it first

According to their website they have a 14 day return policy for unused goods. Which type of motherboard did you buy?

Hi TerrorFirmer, i have a ASUS H110M-A M.2 Motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

According to the asus website the ASUS H110M-A M.2 Motherboard has a m2 connector on it
    from website
    "With x4 PCI Express 2.0 bandwidth, M.2 supports up to 20 Gbit/s data-transfer speeds. It is the perfect choice for an operating system or application drive, making your whole PC or professional apps work as fast as possible."

33z48zb.png

• Advertisement

According the the spec page it lists an M.2 driver in storage. If this is the board it is the low short part between the cpu socket and the PCI slot.

Problem is i have opened and tried the SSD! I have a ASUS H110M-A M.2 Motherboard!
    Might just do what Terror said and buy a adaptor!

Where it says M.2 Support?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I think you have a 14 day cooling off period for any online purchases, AFAIK if you've opened the packaging it doesn't matter (once its not a security seal or anything).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Just connect it to the M.2 port on the motherboard
    405037.jpg

Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Thank you! :)

Make sure the little nut on the motherboard isn't sitting directly underneath the SSD.

It will only be used at the far end to keep it in place.

Advertisement