Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my old Mobo Compatable with newer Graphics Cards??

Options
  • 30-12-2016 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Motherboard is fine. It's be your power supply that could cause the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Ah never thought of that :) My current power supply is 600W. any idea what the best way for me to figure out what im using or how much more it can handle?

Newcards will work. Make sure psu has the pci connections needed. The gpu you have will tell or psu brand

Busy at moment so can't get too specific maybe Get an nvidia card. Will have less power draw. 1050ti. Will be an upgrade. Make sure it fits case.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

On the PSU you are looking for a cable like this to power the GPU. The new 1050 cards use less power than previous generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hi All,

Im looking for a bit of help as my knowledge in this particular area is novice at best. I originally build my PC coming up on 6 years ago now and bought this motherboard with it

I currently only have a 1GB graphics Card in it and am looking to upgrade it.

Just wondering if anybody might be able to help me answer the question if any of these graphics cards are compatible with it.

Many Thanks
    €200 for a GTX 1050Ti is ridiculous, for that price you can get a far more capable RX 470! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

30 extra for delivery though. Whats the difference between that card and one of the cheaper (~180) ones I chose in the elara comparison above?

I honestly just dont understand :D:rolleyes::o:o

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-review

GTX1050 <= RX460 < GTX1050Ti << RX470

The RX470 would last you a helluva lot longer.

You can also under-volt it to reduce power draw/temperatures, e.g. like here:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What processor do you have? If it's an i7 model, it'll be largely OK for a minor upgrade to GTX1050 class cards, but if it's any s1156 model i5 (particularly i5-6x0 as these are dual core, i5-7x0 are true quad), you need to first drop in an i7-860/870 type CPU otherwise you'll experience major bottlenecking. These are about €40 second hand.

Don't get any of the new AMD cards, they have serious issues with many older motherboards and chipsets.

My advice would be to drop €200 on a combo of i7-870 and GTX1050 if you don't already have an i7, if you do, I'd probably stretch to a 1050Ti, but no further as the whole PC is too old beyond that.

Could also look second hand? Plenty of still decent cards for the €50-70 mark going around...what games are you looking to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Ah never thought of that :) My current power supply is 650W. any idea what the best way for me to figure out what im using or how much more it can handle?

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Advertisement