Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brows for beginners

Options
  • 30-12-2016 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help and some suggestions on brow products and stuff.

I've started chemotherapy and will lose all my hair so I need to start learning to do my brows. I've never filled them in, the most I've used on them is the L'Oreal brow artist mascara.

I want to get stuff in the drugstore to start off with so I can find out what works for me and what I like best given I've no experience with brows and filling them in.

Are there are good techniques, etc that I should use? I would greatly appreciate any advice, information etc and if there are any videos, bloggers etc you'd recommend I'd love to know about them because I am completely lost with this.

My own brows are thick and strong naturally so I've never needed to fill them in hence why I never have and have only used the L'Oreal mascara til now.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I would probably go for brow pencil as you can draw in hair lines with little strokes which will look more natural. Benefit have a great selection of brow products now and you will be given lots of advice at their counters instore. Obviously you can go for any cheaper brand...even penneys have their own products you can try. If you wanted something semi permanent you could look at brow embroidery. Google to see what it is and where it is available....pricey though!
    Best of luck with your treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Get yourself a brow pencil and fill them in using light strokes something similar to this (don't mind the shape it was drawn free hand)
    https://postimg.org/image/nhadank9v/
    but the strokes are feather strokes mimicking the growth of the hair. There's no harsh lines just feather strokes. Don't get a pencil that's too dark for you, and it's quite easy to get the swing of it.

You could also get a powder and a stencil something like hibrow and powder them on, hibrow is quite good it doesn't move.

Best of luck with your treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thank you so much, are there are drugstore brands you would recommend? I know Benefit are meant to be good but at the moment they're out of my price range as I don't know what will/won't work for me and until I find what works best I won't buy expensive stuff because if it doesn't suit me I don't want to have it wasted and sitting there unused.

I'd thought about the semi permanent make up alright but with my chemo its not an option, anything that requires dyes etc are out of the question for me so anything that can be wiped off/removed is my only option at the moment.

Another question I have is on colours, my wig is a chocolate brown colour with caramel highlights going through it, is there any colours I should go for? I know my own brows are more of a light brown so I'd say there is 2/3 shades in the difference, should I get chocolate colour products or something a bit lighter?

Thanks so much for the help with this :)

Also in regards to Brow embroidery, being on chemo is a contraindication. It wouldn't be worth the money for you until you're finished.

In regards to colour I'd keep it a shade lighter than the wig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

NYX do a good eyebrow pencil, it's around 10 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Thank you so much, are there are drugstore brands you would recommend? I know Benefit are meant to be good but at the moment they're out of my price range as I don't know what will/won't work for me and until I find what works best I won't buy expensive stuff because if it doesn't suit me I don't want to have it wasted and sitting there unused.

L'Oréal have a good selection for eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Hi StripedBoxers, I'm in the USA for the next week, if there's anything you'd like me to pick up that you're unable to find in Ireland? I'd be happy to pick it for you, I'll be back in Ireland next week and could post it to you. I'm not near a Sephora, unfortunately, but very close to a Walgreens, which has loads of stuff! Feel free to PM me. Best of luck with the treatment xx

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

I swear by Soap and Glory's brow pencil sold in Boots. Best of luck with treatment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

google "christian semi permanent eyebrow makeup kit". It's for chemo patients and is amazing. Look at the videos on YouTube too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The next time you are at the hospital ask if they have any makeup companies or artists who come to the hospital and offer makeup/skin care advice for patients undergoing cancer treatment. I know Clarins used to visit the CUH when my mother was going treatment and she found their advice very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Hi, My Mam had cancer a few years ago. As part of her journey they attended a makeup artist class and were given loads of goodies and tips on how to apply makeup etc when going through chemo. Im nearly sure they did it through ARc, she was attending the Mater. Maybe ask some of the nurses if they know anything about it.

Advertisement