Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best way to upgrade my current system

Options
  • 30-12-2016 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Thinking about upgrading,mainly because I have a few bob,not because I have found a need to yet,just not sure whether to upgrade just one of the below or do the lot,bar the motherboard, thats there just for reference,

Any ideas?

Motherboard = M5A97 R2.0
    CPU = AMD FX 6300
    RAM = 8G DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics = AMD R9 270

Current psu is either 500w or 550w so should be ok I think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

graphics card -> SSD -> CPU+motherboard
    RX470/480 4Gb is a good card.

I wouldn't spend mad money on incremental upgrades, the FX-6300 is a bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    graphics card -> SSD -> CPU+motherboard
    RX470/480 4Gb is a good card.

I wouldn't spend mad money on incremental upgrades, the FX-6300 is a bottleneck.

So maybe the RX470/480 plus an AMD FX 9590 and another 8GB ram?

I have an SSD already :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

I wouldn't normally suggest upgrading to 16GB (assuming gaming) but keep an eye out for some cheap DDR3 on adverts, likewise a CPU although AMD tends to e harder to find. Certainly don't upgrade prior to Ryzen being released and stocks being reduced in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Wouldn't touch a 9590 personally, stick with the 6300 until you can pull €300 together to get an i5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Wouldn't touch a 9590 personally, stick with the 6300 until you can pull €300 together to get an i5.

So better off switching to an intel cpu/motherboard setup?

I have about €450 but its not enough to include a graphics card update as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

wiz569 wrote: »

Hold off until Ryzen hits. You can go ahead with the GPU, there is new stuff coming but at the upper end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

wiz569 wrote: »

I5 will be leagues ahead of the 6300, wait till you've 500 or 550 and get an RX 470, new board, i5 6500, 8gb DDR4 and an SSD is my advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree at this point I'd just get a new card, RX480 4GB is good value and a massive upgrade, you can look at a new board, cpu and ram when the new CPU's hit. FX6300 is hit and miss at this point but broadly speaking it'll be fine for another while.

You could get an FX8320, factoring in the cost of the FX6300 2nd hand, it shouldn't cost more than about €60-70 overall for the upgrade CPU wise, just do a bit of googling to ensure there aren't any throttling issues with 8 core CPU's in that board.

The FX-9 series CPU's are some of the worst ever made and require a 220w motherboard, decent water cooler, and still languish behind basic Intel i5 processors while devouring triple the power and putting out enough heat to warm a small house...not to mention the serious throttling issues. They wouldn't work on your existing setup in any case.

Advertisement