Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearse Street in Ballina: Why do people drive down it at busy times?

Options
  • 30-12-2016 4:40pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why do people drive down Pearse Street in Ballina at busy times?

I can understand old people or others who can't walk too far, I can understand people picking up those people and deliveries, I can even somewhat understand young people driving around for the crack... but for everyone else, why? The detours aren't that far when driving. It's faster and easier to drive around or park and walk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Guilty as charged on this one.

There is a number of reasons though for this, and honest.

Sometimes it makes sense to circle via Pearse street and pick up missus as she exits Pennys, boots or newsagents. Parking can be horrendous and easy alternative is to drop and then circle around and pick up.

Other times, its for people watching and checking out ballina life.

Young bucks are a devil for it show casing their wheels.

This was the case even before it was one way.

It is the main thorough fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I avoid it like the plague during daylight hours, it's too slow moving for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

A lot of the traffic seems to use it as a cut through to the Post Office area which saves driving around past Dunnes and then Tescos. I think I have used it twice since the new road scheme was introduced.

Could easily make it fully pedestrinised, especially as the plans for the new Tesco's include a new road from Pearse Street, up through the car parks into Market Square.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

TopTec wrote: »
    A lot of the traffic seems to use it as a cut through to the Post Office area which saves driving around past Dunnes and then Tescos. I think I have used it twice since the new road scheme was introduced.

Could easily make it fully pedestrinised, especially as the plans for the new Tesco's include a new road from Pearse Street, up through the car parks into Market Square.

TT

New Tesco?

I've never found it too bad, but I learnt to drive in London, so I don't think any traffic in Ireland is ever too bad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

muddypaws wrote: »
    New Tesco?

Been on the cards for a couple of years. Underground car park, adjoining retail shops, the works. One of the girls told me Ballina Tesco's was voted one of the worst stores in Ireland.... it is common to see it leaking like a sieve.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

TopTec wrote: »
    Been on the cards for a couple of years. Underground car park, adjoining retail shops, the works. One of the girls told me Ballina Tesco's was voted one of the worst stores in Ireland.... it is common to see it leaking like a sieve.

TT

I'd agree with the vote, stopped going in there years ago. Thanks, I honestly hadn't heard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

... dont think its all that bad, except maybe on a bank holiday weekend or around christmas / easter / whenever kids are off , i work in a first floor office on pearse street and from 9-2 weekdays its not exactly jammed.. dont drive up it in general but every now and again find myself on it

as for new tesco.. hope im wrong but i think pigs will fly before its built

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

woody1 wrote: »
    ... dont think its all that bad, except maybe on a bank holiday weekend or around christmas / easter / whenever kids are off , i work in a first floor office on pearse street and from 9-2 weekdays its not exactly jammed.. dont drive up it in general but every now and again find myself on it

as for new tesco.. hope im wrong but i think pigs will fly before its built

Nearly every Saturday afternoon the traffic crawls on the street, to the extent that it's usually faster walking from AIB to Supermacs.

It's not strikingly unusual to see Pearse Street traffic sometime back up nearly toor the whole way to the Xtra-Vision roundabout -- and that's saying something.

Advertisement