Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motivate me

• 30-12-2016 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

I need to lose weight. It's my new year's resolution. But it's so hard to get motivated.

My hardest battle is food and eating too much and in the evenings, how do I get up moving in the evenings after work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

start to hate yourself and look in the mirror a few times every day.

that'll be 90 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

The Raptor wrote: »
    I need to lose weight. It's my new year's resolution. But it's so hard to get motivated.

My hardest battle is food and eating too much and in the evenings, how do I get up moving in the evenings after work.

Exact same problem here. The solution is go to bed earlier, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Eat a healthy breakfast Bixies, bran, fruit and a cup of tae.
    Do not buy deli type food for lunch you'll only get rubbish and waste a fortune over the year.
    Plan your evening meals from Monday to Sunday.

DO NOT SNACK on anything except fruit.

Join a couch to 5k, or parkrun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Join a couch to 5k, or parkrun.

I don't think I can manage running to a couch.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Buy yourself a little black dress and vow to fit into it by March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Only ever eat when you're naked. Junk food loses it's appeal when you can see your fat stomach just out of sight with each and every bite.

Plus you'll get thrown out of all eateries too. So win win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

What height and weight are you? Are you male or female?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I don't think I can manage running to a couch.

Couch25k is simple, you don't start off running. You alternate a few seconds of jogging with a few seconds of walking.

With the park runs, you can walk them. Some of them now have a marshal to walk with the very last walkers, so that everyone gets an official finish.

My dad started walking 5k. He's now running the park run every Saturday, in 24 minutes, did a 10K (fat turkey run) in 53 minutes the other day, and has lost 4.5 stone since May.

Once you actually get up and just start exercising, it becomes easier and enjoyable.

Food, you need to decide which you want more - junk food, or to be thinner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

Only ever eat when you're naked. Junk food loses it's appeal when you can see your fat stomach just out of sight with each and every bite.

Plus you'll get thrown out of all eateries too. So win win.

I'd imagine being allowed to stay in Burger King is also a bit of a challenge.

Feck beaten too it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Track your food intake on MyFitnessPal - and aim to stick to your calories for the day whatever that takes - whether it's cutting out the crap or reducing portion sizes.

If you've a lot of weight to lose then know that it'll take time to lose it, so be patient and stay determined. There are no quick fixes. Be in it for the long haul.

As already mentioned for exercise try C25K. It's designed for anybody no matter how unfit to try. Believe me, if I can do it anyone can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

Don't buy snacks or junk food. January is one of the best times to start because you may have over indulged and cannot face any more crap. Also everyone is dieting in Jan so the good food options are pushed at you. If you need a snack in the evening, have something ready for when the craving hits. I use carrot sticks. I know it sounds harsh and unappealing but crisps are my weakness so I need something crunchy. Also, sometimes a cup of tea can do wonders for junk food craving.

Exercise. Stick on a pair of runners and get out for a jog. It will work wonders. You'll feel terrific when you get back. It's free and you can do it on your own time. And you will always feel better for having done it than you ever will if you dont.

I'm not an expert. ^^ They're just some ideas. As a new years resolution 4 years ago I joined slimming world and took up running and lost 5 stone. I've kept most of it off, but am heading back to slimming world in Jan because I've lost the run of myself. So I'm in the same situation and hoping the above will work as motivation for myself too :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

With exercise, I think it can be hard to motivate yourself to go and do an hour, or a half hour of exercise. Instead tell yourself you'll do 5 or ten minutes. Much less dread involved, and in truth once you get started you'll probably do half an hour no matter what.

Find a podcast that you love or if you can watch TV while you exercise choose a TV show that you love. Only ever listen/watch to it while you're exercising - that way you get to treat yourself to a new episode while you run/walk/row/whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

start to hate yourself and look in the mirror a few times every day.

that'll be 90 euro

Thats actually the worst thing you could do.

OP - be kind to yourself. Find what causes you to reach for the foods - is it when you sit on the couch/switch on the tv?

When you figure it out then do something different - put laundry away or read a book in another room. Maybe try to get into the habit of going for a walk in the evening.

Are you eating enough during the day? could that be why you are eating more in the evening? Do you drink enough water? if not start drinking lots!

Above all - be nice to yourself, we only get one body so hating it and hating ourselves is an endless cycle. Huge diet changes and crazy work out routines are not sustainable. Try to make small changes that you can stick to and then it will become smaller of a mountain to climb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I think most of ye are missing the thread title and the forum. So here goes...

You're the weight you'd thought you'd never allow yourself to get to. What would your 16 year old self say to you if they knew this is what you'd do to their body.

Plus you'll get to see what your willie looks like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Start a blog about how you feel good in your own skin while secretly crying and eating cream cakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You're a fat, disgusting slob and no one in their right mind would go near you. I'd say there's a remote control lost in those folds and that you have to wash yourself with a rag on a stick.

You revolt me.

Now do you feel motivated?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Just to be clear, were you aiming for weight loss or suicide?

You're a fat, disgusting slob and no one in their right mind would go near you. I'd say there's a remote control lost in those folds and that you have to wash yourself with a rag on a stick.

You revolt me.

You just made me laugh with your insults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You revolt me.

You sound like the Drill Sergeant in Full Metal Jacket.

I was going to join a gym but maybe not yet. I don't want to waste money if I end up not using it. So, I'll try and get out a few evenings a week before I join up. I would love to go first thing in the morning but there's nothing open so early before work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Gyms are all very well but bodies are mostly built on your plate. You need to start eating less and stick to that. Exercise will certainly help, but you might be surprised to learn how long and hard you'd have to exercise to offset just one medium sized burger. Far easier to not shove the burger in the food hole in the first place.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

As I've never had this particular problem I find it difficult to empathise with the struggle. If you want to lose weight is that not all the motivation you need? Want thing -> Take steps -> Get thing.

Patww79 wrote: »

Then there's no problem? Have the nice food.

Hey you deleted your post and made it look like I'm talking to myself...

Well, doing 5km right off isn't the way to go, but C25K is designed even for the most unfit. And the aim is to be just moving, not to be trying to move like Mo Farrah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

First step is to change your eating habits, don't necessarily have to cut anything out but instead of gorging on food in the evenings just eat smaller meals throughout the day. It's a cliché but "little and often" is the way to go.

In terms of exercise you don't need to do anything extreme, just get out for a walk in the evenings, half an hour at first and a bit longer as you get used to it.

Biggest mistake people make when trying to lose weight is believing that only a complete overhaul will solve their problem, this is the same reason why people are constantly trying new fads. All it takes is common sense and a couple of simple lifestyle changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I am going to depose a democratically elected government and curtail press fredom. That's my New Year's revolution.

There's nothing about pace in the app I used. It's about distance. You can do it as slowly as you're fitness allows you. It's not a contest to do it fast.

As I've never had this particular problem I find it difficult to empathise with the struggle. If you want to lose weight is that not all the motivation you need? Want thing -> Take steps -> Get thing.

This is what your are suggesting...

Want to be thin...........exercise/eat healthily........... get thin/toned

This is more often the norm...

Want to be thin ....................... exercise/eat healthily........... get thin
    .........................McDonalds

Oh, I agree with you in that case. Those groups are no good for the unfit. But that's why I said ....
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Well, doing 5km right off isn't the way to go, but C25K is designed even for the most unfit. And the aim is to be just moving, not to be trying to move like Mo Farrah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Just remember that if the entire history of the universe was a 24 hour day, your entire time will take up less than a millisecond and nobody is likely to remember you even lived a few short years after you have left this world.

Also you should try and prepare as many meals as you can in advance to avoid the tempration of eating out or getting a takeaway

What Quickbeam is talking about is a program that you do, usually alone, where you stick on a podcast or app and it tells you when to walk or jog. It starts out very easy, you do a light jog for 60 seconds, then walk for a couple of minutes, then repeat a couple of times.

Over the course of a few weeks the time spent running gradually increases, but it's carefully balanced to never be too much too soon. It can get pretty much anyone jogging for 30 minutes in about 9 weeks. It's an excellent program, couldn't recommend it enough.

Of course while it can help, that alone won't cause you to lose weight. It can help, but unless you're running dozens of miles a week you're not burning enough calories to outrun a bad diet.

Make two lists.

One, the reasons why you want to lose weight/disadvantages of being overweight. That's your motivation!

The second one is all about the advantages of having the body you want.
    Choose a huge treat for yourself for when you reach your target weight.
    Print it in big Capitals at the bottom of the list.

That one is your inspiration to keep going when you're tempted to give up!

• Advertisement

Make two lists.

One, the reasons why you want to lose weight/disadvantages of being overweight. That's your motivation!

This is a great idea too. I did this and keep the list in my wallet, so if I'm ever tempted to buy something I know I shouldn't, I take it out and read it to remind me why I shouldn't.

Just remember that if the entire history of the universe was a 24 hour day, your entire time will take up less than a millisecond and nobody is likely to remember you even lived a few short years after you have left this world.

Okay, I really need to check the dictionary for motivation... seems I was waaaaaay off. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭fifigogo

I know how you feel. I was living abroad for a few years and was eating healthy and in really good shape but when I came back to Ireland 18 months ago I piled on the weight just from eating sugary foods. I fell into a rut and many times tried to get back to healthier eating but failed. Since November I have made small changes and each day it gets easier to eat healthier and exercise. You just need to rewire your brain and not put so much pressure on yourself. I began my healthier way of living 15th November and in a month I lost 8lbs which I am happy with but I am much happier with my fitness level since I've incorporated exercise and I have lost a few inches all over.

- First off, don't beat yourself up over the fact that you struggle to motivate yourself. You want to make a change in your eating habits and lifestyle so that's a start. Don't think of your new years resolution as 'a diet to lose weight'. Tell yourself you want to make a lifestyle change for good to improve your overall health and fitness and losing weight is a side effect of this change. It's an added bonus.

- Start by making a plan. If you have a plan then you can follow it and if you go off course because of a bad day or whatever, you can easily get back on track.

- Look at your eating habits. What kind of food do you eat, portion sizes etc. Try to eat clean, as in, remove processed, refined, sugary foods and diet products from your life. Eat more veg, fruit, healthy carbs, proteins, healthy fats and fibre. Packaged processed foods have little nutrition.

- Plan your meals to work around your schedule. There's nothing wrong with eating your main big meal at lunch time and just having a snack when you get home from work. You don't have to follow the herd. As long as you are eating healthy and clean your body will respond in kind.

- Drinking more water should be part of your plan. Sometimes we confuse thirst with hunger and snack when really we just need to hydrate. Aim to drink at least litre and half of water a day. If you find that you are really hungry for a snack have a small bowl of chopped fruit with a little natural yoghurt.

- Include exercise. Any form of exercise is better than none. Walking to the shops instead of driving, walking to the next bus stop etc. If you don't have the energy to exercise in the evening then wake up earlier and exercise first thing before breakfast. 30 minutes exercise can make a big difference.Go to bed 30 minutes earlier which will actually be beneficial for your body. I hate exercising in the evening so I do 40 minutes before breakfast every second day and the other days I try to walk between 5k and 10k steps.

- What kind of workouts do you like? Personally I hate the gym. I get bored so easily and I hate being stuck on a machine. I prefer interval training, cardio workouts with a little strength training but I like to mix it up so I don't get bored and it keeps me motivated. I just went onto youtube and found some great videos for free and workout to them.

- Mark your progress on a calendar. Write down your workouts,how long you did, if you had a cheat day, if you ate super healthy etc. so you can see how your doing.

- Have a realistic goal. If you are going to check the weight loss, aim for 1 to 2 lbs per week. Some weeks you may lose more and some weeks you will lose none. That can happen. Keep track of inches too. Sometimes you may not lose weight but lose inches.

- Don't become disheartened if you don't lose a lb or two, miss an exercise day or eat a couple of biscuits. Just get back on track the following day.

I'm not a professional. These are just suggestions that may or may not help. What works for one person may not work for another but hopefully at least one suggestion will help you get a plan going :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Your motivation shouldn't be to lose weight or to look good. Those are very boring motivations with only the tiniest of visible changes over a short period. You need, instead, to find something interesting to do of which a by product is weight loss.

For some people this might be learning to cook, for others a fun activity involving a bit of exercise. Lots of people seem to have shifted a fair bit of weight just by playing Pokemon Go.

If you're looking at weight loss as a sacrifice or a punishment I dare say you'll never achieve it or you'll be miserable when you do.

Enjoy yourself.

I had a dream last night that I was at a Garth Brooks concert and he asked me if I was pregnant. Unfortunately, it wasn't with his baby but I think that's all the motivation I need.

Advertisement