Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hell of the West pricing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

I wonder if it actually did or are they trying to boost demand for the next wave of spaces they are releasing? They had already said this would be the first release but no word of how many that was

You can be certain all spaces sold. Kilkee would sell out with a €120 entry fee. For many, this race is the home of triathlon in Ireland and people are more than willing to pay a once off high fee for this race.

Of course it won't stay a once off high fee as all the other Irish races will eventually follow suit and hike up their prices to match. Then people will once again argue that Kilkee is special and should charge more and you can see where this leads.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

saw this on Limerick Tri club website on HoTW entry cost.
    Limerick Triathlon Club events are run entirely by volunteers, none of whom receive payments or expenses. As active triathletes ourselves, we are keenly aware of the costs of the sport and in particular event entry fees. It is for transparency we are publishing the entry price for HoTW in advance (€85 plus charges). We appreciate this is not an insignificant sum.
    We are not a business – we aim to have in the region of 5-10% margin on our events which is reinvested within the sport. Much of what we do is reliant on goodwill of our members, friends, volunteers and local businesses, and as such the true costs are never reflected in our club accounts. Many of the costs involved in running an event such as HOTW are fixed. We continue to offer generous cash prizes not just for the top 5 finishers, but also across the age groups. Through a lot of hard work, our merchandise costs are much less than many people think. Our other events – the Limerick Duathlon and the Joey Hannan Memorial Triathlons are run on the same basis.

From its beginning the race has evolved over the past 32 years to what it is today, and we will continue to review and try to improve the race in as far as possible within the scope of a club run event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

panda100 wrote: »
    saw this on Limerick Tri club website on HoTW entry cost.
    Imagine the loss every other race is making then :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

You can be certain all spaces sold. Kilkee would sell out with a €120 entry fee. For many, this race is the home of triathlon in Ireland and people are more than willing to pay a once off high fee for this race.

Of course it won't stay a once off high fee as all the other Irish races will eventually follow suit and hike up their prices to match. Then people will once again argue that Kilkee is special and should charge more and you can see where this leads.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LslnDx16-Ik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

90 is a total rip off for an Olympic Triathlon. Kilkee has gone from 50 to 60 to 70 to 90 over 6 years. So disappointing especially since its a club race. Am out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

You have to wonder our Limerick tri club in a bad financial sitiuation with all the price increases 🀔

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You have to wonder our Limerick tri club in a bad financial sitiuation with all the price increases 🀔

I don't think thats the case. I would say they were limited to 400 entries by TI or the guards and realised they'd be down income this year on last year.

Last year 70 x 800 = 56000 (relays paid more, super series I think pay less so probably evens out)

70 x 400 = 28000 - race entry fees halved. Cost of producing goody bags etc gone up, most likely as these things tend to get cheaper, per unit, the more you purchase...probably require the same amount of guards etc...so outgoings probably much the same, incomings halved (compared to last year) = profit loss

How do we make up some of this shortfall. I know. Let's raise the cost of entry.

90 x 400 = 36000

If there we still 800 entries this year, despite the drafting issues etc Kilkee would still have sold out

800 x 50 (btw) = 40000

2014, had about 1000 entries or possibly more if you could people who were DNS. 20 pages of results here compared to 17 pages /18 pages in 2016 and 2015 @ 50 people/relays per page

http://www.sportsplits.com/Home/QuickResults?clientId=74&raceId=10264&culture=en-US

Pretty easy to assume the reason for the price rise is to recoup some money. Races have to make money (or at least break even), we know that, but other races don't charge 90 euro for an olympic.

Has anyone from LTC made a comment on the price rise on facebook? To justify it even?
    Would be nice to have some comment from them so we don't all keep going round thinking the worst of them if they actually have a reasonable explanation for why they are charging so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Why the hell did they give us all those big jackets last year if they were struggling to break even? I understand some races pimp t-shirts with sponsors to make money, but this was a plain blue jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Why the hell did they give us all those big jackets last year if they were struggling to break even? I understand some races pimp t-shirts with sponsors to make money, but this was a plain blue jacket.

therin lies the problem methinks. We got a big rucksack one year and a really nice red jacket the next or vice versa....last year was the blue jacket. A nice keepsake but totally unnecessary. I for one would wish they would eliminate this.
    I however do gain some solace knowing that i gave my red jacket and rucksack to the jacket off your back campaign for syrians in germany and some syrian is rocking around Munich or similar in HOTW gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

EC1000 wrote: »
    So it opens next week and is 90 euro this year (but limited to 400 entrants). A great race but hard to justify at that price. If it's 90 this year it will be 100 very soon. Thats half ironman pricing really. Disappointed to see this.

Edit: was 70 last year....

https://m.facebook.com/KilkeeHelloftheWestTriathlon/

Back to 70 quid for 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Any one having problems registering?  I cant seem to pay for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

yup same here

edit working now

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Just got a confirmation mail saying I registered without clicking again.  I am guessing I will have about 40+ transfers available in a few mins.  If my Credit card allows all those clicks. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Just entered by accident

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I'll be in the market for a transfer in May, let me know who pulls out first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭carbonceiling

after a 2 year hiatus I'll be back to do my 8th Hell of the West this year ! it's been a long road to get back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

after a 2 year hiatus I'll be back to do my 8th Hell of the West this year ! it's been a long road to get back here.

Also been 2 years for myself, it will be number 6, love this race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Pmaldini wrote: »
    after a 2 year hiatus I'll be back to do my 8th Hell of the West this year !    it's been a long road to get back here.

Also been 2 years for myself, it will be number 6, love this race
    Whooo hooo training buddy so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

BennyMul wrote: »
    Whooo hooo training buddy so :)

i'll have the cast off next Monday hopefully so it will be all guns blazing from then:D

Advertisement