Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

duck shooting

Options
  • 30-12-2016 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

after the recent discovery of a duck with bird flu,(seen it on the news) should we be concerned about shooting and eating wild duck,or any other wild fowl for that matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lawless_IRE

Just spotted this on fb. Cant link as im a new user. And i know its not the best of sources but came from joe.ie.

A particular strain of bird flu has been discovered in a variety of wild duck, known as a wigeon, in County Wexford.

The avian influenza subtype H5N8 was confirmed by the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine after the bird was found alive, but unable to fly, in Wexford town on 28 December.

According to The Irish Times, although the H5N8 subtype can cause serious disease to poultry and other birds, no human infections have been reported worldwide with this particular virus .

Risk to humans is considered to be low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

Just spotted this on fb. Cant link as im a new user. And i know its not the best of sources but came from joe.ie.

A particular strain of bird flu has been discovered in a variety of wild duck, known as a wigeon, in County Wexford.

The avian influenza subtype H5N8 was confirmed by the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine after the bird was found alive, but unable to fly, in Wexford town on 28 December.

According to The Irish Times, although the H5N8 subtype can cause serious disease to poultry and other birds, no human infections have been reported worldwide with this particular virus .

Risk to humans is considered to be low.

risk to humans low............still would rather not eat one

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Cooking kills the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

It's as much a risk as someone getting the mixi! Although I've seen a few contenders the morning after a night out on the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

The human risk is minimal, I would be more concerned with its impact on our birdlife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

sniperman wrote:
    risk to humans low............still would rather not eat one

Yeah I think I'll stay away from shooting /eating game for the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shooting101

What should you do now then? Have a duck from yesterday!!

What should you do now then? Have a duck from yesterday!!

Eat it! None of us has a problem eating the ****e we buy from the supermarkets and takeaways. Think we probably all ate horse as well at some stage, but just didn't know it. lol

Suppose at the end of the day, it's up to the individual, whether their gonna eat game or not. Saying that, i think its important to respect your quarry. If your not gonna eat it, then don't shoot it. Shoot some tin cans or something, till your confident enough to eat game again.

Eddie B wrote:
    Suppose at the end of the day, it's up to the individual, whether their gonna eat game or not. Saying that, i think its important to respect your quarry. If your not gonna eat it, then don't shoot it. Shoot some tin cans or something, till your confident enough to eat game again.

Yeah I got a pigeon wasn't very happy to eat so gave it to the dog! Don't like to waste it as you say so I'll probably stop shooting pigeons for a while until I'm happy to eat it again!

Yeah I got a pigeon wasn't very happy to eat so gave it to the dog! Don't like to waste it as you say so I'll probably stop shooting pigeons for a while until I'm happy to eat it again!

Don't want to go of topic here, but if you have Showbox, check out Food INC. You may either go vegan, or have your pidgeon. Lol

• Advertisement

Eddie B wrote:
    Don't want to go of topic here, but if you have Showbox, check out Food INC. You may either go vegan, or have your pidgeon. Lol

Haha I'll go with steroids in the meat over meat with disease for the minute Thanks!

Haha I'll go with steroids in the meat over meat with disease for the minute Thanks!

O right, so your guaranteed that the meat your eating is disease free, and free of ecoli? A that's grand then lol

What I'm getting at lad, is that the meat in the shops, and takeaways, is much more dangerous than wild meat. We all eat it, because it's convenient, and nicely packaged.

The human race has become somewhat sheepish, and easily influenced, which is very sad indeed.

Eddie B wrote:
    The human race has become somewhat sheepish, and easily influenced, which is very sad indeed.

Eddie B wrote:
    What I'm getting at lad, is that the meat in the shops, and takeaways, is much more dangerous than wild meat. We all eat it, because it's convenient, and nicely packaged.

Eddie B wrote:
    O right, so your guaranteed that the meat your eating is disease free, and free of ecoli? A that's grand then lol

Yeah I know where you are coming from! I agree 100% with what you're saying!

Can't beat teal lovely!!!

Can't beat teal lovely!!!

Not much on them by the looks of them I'd say!

Not much on them by the looks of them I'd say!

Yea not much meat on em.. but in my opinion there better than mallard!

Yea not much meat on em.. but in my opinion there better than mallard!

Yed want to be shooting them with 7s or something? Yed need a few to make a meal!

Yed want to be shooting them with 7s or something? Yed need a few to make a meal!

Was shooting with RC 6's was primarily going for mallards.. lovely eating need a few to make a proper meal!

Ah right many Mallard around?

I was using sipe number 6 on crows! Didn't drop any yet! Not sure if I'm missing them completely or there just isn't enough punch to bring them down!

Ah right many Mallard around?

I haven't seen many at all to be honest ( a good few female mallards) I'm shooting on small ponds going to be feeding it tomorrow should bring in more hopefully.. I've just seen a lot of teal in the ponds. I do see the mallard the odd time though just depends.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen many at all to be honest ( a good few female mallards) I'm shooting on small ponds going to be feeding it tomorrow should bring in more hopefully.. I've just seen a lot of teal in the ponds. I do see the mallard the odd time though just depends.

Ah right yeah! We have a pond haven't ever fed it but the mallard come onto it sometimes! Few on our river aswell as a few teal on it for a while! Can say the family would really appreciate me shooting them!

Ah right yeah! We have a pond haven't ever fed it but the mallard come onto it sometimes! Few on our river aswell as a few teal on it for a while! Can say the family would really appreciate me shooting them!

To be honest if you'd want to get some ducks in the pond feed it and try not to shoot it to much I feed mine with Rolled barely ( a bucket a week) scraps like potatoes etc does the trick!

To be honest if you'd want to get some ducks in the pond feed it and try not to shoot it to much I feed mine with Rolled barely ( a bucket a week) scraps like potatoes etc does the trick!

A right thanks! Do ye just put a bit out every day? Or the full bucket out one day in the week? Thanks!

A right thanks! Do ye just put a bit out every day? Or the full bucket out one day in the week? Thanks!

What I do is every week just once I feed a bucket with potatoes etc. Should get some decent duck in for the end of the season!
    People may feed a bit every few days but I just feed it at once!

What I do is every week just once I feed a bucket with potatoes etc. Should get some decent duck in for the end of the season! People may feed a bit every few days but I just feed it at once!

Ah ok thanks! Do ye just throw in on the water or have a float that you put it on?

Well try and feed the pond later in the day as ducks come in at night, just get maybe two spots where you want to put feed and throw it just in a few inches of water so that crows can't get to them if you get me!

Well try and feed the pond later in the day as ducks come in at night, just get maybe two spots where you want to put feed and throw it just in a few inches of water so that crows can't get to them if you get me!

Yeah I get ye I was just wondering because I've heard people putting it around the edge but they say it attracts rats! Thanks for the tips!

Yeah I get ye I was just wondering because I've heard people putting it around the edge but they say it attracts rats! Thanks for the tips!

Yea that's right them rats would come, good luck with it!

Yea that's right them rats would come, good luck with it!

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Thanks!

2nd case of bird flu confirmed a wild duck In Galway.. just wondering is there any signs of bird flu when you look at them etc?

Advertisement