Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

duck shooting

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

2nd case of bird flu confirmed a wild duck In Galway.. just wondering is there any signs of bird flu when you look at them etc?

afaik they seen weak and unable to fly,id say by next season it will be widespread,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I feel it's inevitable that it'll spread to poultry and other wildlife, which is worrying.

Eddie B wrote: »
    I feel it's inevitable that it'll spread to poultry and other wildlife, which is worrying.

yes.its going to have a big impact on shooting id say,if by next season it has spread,i for one will not go out,like i said above, i would not like to eat infected birds,fully cooked or not.

sniperman wrote: »
    yes.its going to have a big impact on shooting id say,if by next season it has spread,i for one will not go out,like i said above, i would not like to eat infected birds,fully cooked or not.

What about chickens turkey's, etc though. Can we be sure that what we buy at the supermarket, or eat at KFC isn't infected?
    By next year there could be more of a chance of eating infected poultry, than wild game.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shooting101

What about chickens turkey's, etc though. Can we be sure that what we buy at the supermarket, or eat at KFC isn't infected?
    By next year there could be more of a chance of eating infected poultry, than wild game.

What would happen if you did consume a duck with the bird flu?

• Advertisement

What would happen if you did consume a duck with the bird flu?

Well i can only go by what I've read, that no human has contracted this particular strain of the virus.

This is something I've often thought about. Many times I've heard people say that they wouldn't eat a rabbit with the mixi. Well how many rabbits have we eaten, that were in the early stages of the disease, and not showing the typical symptoms?

Also, as I said before, many of us unknowingly consumed horse meat in the past. Probably ate meat from animals with virus's and parasites, but just weren't aware of it.

Just something to think about.

yep you are right,we cant be sure if or not we are eating infected fowl,hell we could be doing it right now, but the way i am is. for example if i shoot a mixi rabbit and a healthy one,i tend to eat the good one,i just dont fancy preparing and cooking anything id know to be sick.

sniperman wrote: »
    but the way i am is. for example if i shoot a mixi rabbit and a healthy one,i tend to eat the good one,i just dont fancy preparing and cooking anything id know to be sick.

Yep, and I'm the same. Think we all are! Thing is, that "healthy" rabbit, could also have the mixi, just earlier stages. It's our mindset, to avoid eating what doesn't look healthy. It's a good approach to take. Helps us avoid dangerous food, and live longer. Thing is, unfortunately it's not a foolproof way of avoiding coming in contact with contaminated foods.

As I said earlier, more chance of getting ill from food in our restaurants and grocery store, than from wild foods. Yet, we are seldom cautious with consuming these foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Eddie B wrote:
    As I said earlier, more chance of getting ill from food in our restaurants and grocery store, than from wild foods. Yet, we are seldom cautious with consuming these foods.

Eddie B wrote:
    Yep, and I'm the same. Think we all are! Thing is, that "healthy" rabbit, could also have the mixi, just earlier stages. It's our mindset, to avoid eating what doesn't look healthy. It's a good approach to take. Helps us avoid dangerous food, and live longer. Thing is, unfortunately it's not a foolproof way of avoiding coming in contact with contaminated foods.

Apparently if you put the meat in a pressure cooker you would kill all bacteria I think! Correct me if I'm wrong

Advertisement