Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbished IPhone Argos

Options
  • 30-12-2016 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Dropped my iPhone, too expensive to repair so thinking of picking up a new 16GB 5S in Argos for €360.

They also have refurbished IPhone 6 for roughly the same price. Anyone have any experienced with buying a refurbished iphone from Argos? I'm not pushed about cosmetics but would hate to buy one and find out the battery doesn't last long.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭TanFlash

What phone did you drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

TanFlash wrote: »
    What phone did you drop?

A 5c. Cracked screen and baseband chip is goosed. Was told €300 plus to repair.

They normally send you a refurbished one back instead of repairing the screen, you could factor that in when pricing another phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

The refurbished phones wont have any cover from apple as there not apple refurbished phones EG they have been open by a 3rd party i would stay will away as you don't know what phones have been glued to each other there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

jacksie66 wrote: »
    69 for a new screen and 80 for baseband chip repair where I work. 300 is madness.

But your not trained by apple and not useing the proper parts ;). The screen would be a copy and the baseband from another phone ;)

jacksie66 wrote: »
    A 5c. Cracked screen and baseband chip is goosed. Was told €300 plus to repair.

69 for a new screen and 80 for baseband chip repair where I work. 300 is madness.

How much for same on iPhone 6? Where can it be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

I bought a refurbished iPhone 5 in Argos in November and I have to say it's like new, there wasn't a scratch on it and the battery life is great. I have no complaints about it, they are apparently refurbished by apple and are a very high standard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

My sister got an iPhone 6 this Christmas from Argos refurbished. There was definitely signs of wear and usage, and a scuff mark on one corner. Battery has been pretty dodgy too, thinking of returning it as it's been dying randomly with 60% battery etc.

I'd heard the condition of the phones were excellent, however this one definitely isn't. I've bought apple refurbs before, this definitely wasn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

DubDJ wrote: »
    Battery has been pretty dodgy too, thinking of returning it as it's been dying randomly with 60% battery etc.

I think there was a recall for bad batteries. Could have been the 6s but a quick search online will throw it up.

• Advertisement

TBi wrote: »
    I think there was a recall for bad batteries. Could have been the 6s but a quick search online will throw it up.

IPhone 6s only one small batch of them are giveing free replacements by Apple and only the iPhone 6s or 6s plus are the ones covered by it.

Also the iPhone 6 bought from Apple as they would have been open by a 3rd party and not a apple refurbished iPhone apple won't go near it sadly if your haveing a issue

Yeah it was the 6s that had the battery issues. This is more than likely just a battery that needs replacing because of usage, however seeing as it was refurbished I assumed that everything would be in excellent working condition.

Unfortunately they also very rarely have stock of the iPhone refurbs so it's hard finding a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

IPhone 6s only one small batch of them are giveing free replacements by Apple and only the iPhone 6s or 6s plus are the ones covered by it.

Also the iPhone 6 bought from Apple as they would have been open by a 3rd party and not a apple refurbished iPhone apple won't go near it sadly if your haveing a issue

Wrong - 6s Plus is not covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Harvey Norman are selling brand new (not refurbished) iPhone 5S 16GB for €349 at the moment with one of their deals.

Probably be a better deal for you as you will know its new and it will have a full warranty. Seem to have stock in most branches.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/apple/iphone/apple-iphone-5s-16gb.html

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Anybody had issues with refurb'd iPhone 5S or 6? I have a couple of friends who have found that the shutter sound can not be turned off. I am aware that this is a feature of iPhones for the Japanese market where "up-skirt" photos were an issue so laws there prevented silent shutter sounds on phones in general.
    Should Argos refund a device with this feature unless they have not advertised the fact that the shutter sound isn't muteable? Thoughts or experience please..

Anybody had issues with refurb'd iPhone 5S or 6? I have a couple of friends who have found that the shutter sound can not be turned off. I am aware that this is a feature of iPhones for the Japanese market where "up-skirt" photos were an issue so laws there prevented silent shutter sounds on phones in general.
    Should Argos refund a device with this feature unless they have not advertised the fact that the shutter sound isn't muteable? Thoughts or experience please..

Yeah, my sister got a 6 for Xmas. Had battery and Bluetooth issues and she complained about not being able to mute the sound of the camera.

After a bit of hassle with Argos they replaced the 6, and the new one is fine. However the shutter sound still sounds on the replacement too. Strange one alright.

Quick update, ended up buying the refurbished 32GB 5s last week.

So good, so far. Cosmetically like new except for a tiny scuff mark near the power button. Battery lasting over 24 hours (with a good bit of data access).

Box says the refurb was done by BrightStar.

Argos giving a 12month warranty.

Harvey Norman are selling brand new (not refurbished) iPhone 5S 16GB for €349 at the moment with one of their deals.

Probably be a better deal for you as you will know its new and it will have a full warranty. Seem to have stock in most branches.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/apple/iphone/apple-iphone-5s-16gb.html

Argos have brand new 5s for the same price. Tesco Mobile also. Price probably set by Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eoghanlk

Someone might know the answer to this. On ebay/donedeal etc you often come across the term 'factory refurbished'. If you click on the explanation for this it says" An item that has been professionally restored to working order by a manufacturer-approved vendor. This means the product has been inspected, cleaned and repaired to meet manufacturer specifications." Is there such a thing as an Apple approved vendor who is authorised to refurbish apple product?

Thanks,
    Eoghan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

beauf wrote: »

Cant see any Iphones there

Apparently Apple dont sell refurbished Iphones in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Oxter wrote: »
    Cant see any Iphones there

Apparently Apple dont sell refurbished Iphones in Ireland ?

no they don't - only refurbed ipads, ipods, macs and tv from the Irish store. You can only buy Apple iphone refurbs from their US store, and for now it seems to be only iphone 6s / 6s plus phones.

amazon.co.uk do have a certified refurbished program and this does include apple iphones.

Advertisement