Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity Price Rate

Options
  • 30-12-2016 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello, I have a PC that uses approx. 650Watts I was just wondering what the cost per hour of running this system?

Kind Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi Sol7,

Thanks for your message.

The basic unit of electricity is the Kilowatt hour (kWh). One kWh is the amount of energy used by a 1kW (1000 watt) electric heater for one hour. Another example is ten 100-watt light bulbs used for one hour.

If the PC uses 650 watts per hour, it would take approximately one and a half hours to reach a thousand watts, or 1kW.

The total number of units used is then multiplied by your unit rate, which determines the cost of running the PC.

For example, the standard unit rate is 0.1513 per unit, excluding VAT. As such, the cost of running the computer for one and a half hours would be €0.1513, excluding VAT.

Further information on the length of time it takes to make a unit of electricity can be found online here. If you would like to further understand the energy usage of other appliances in your home, we would recommend using the My Energy Pal app, which can be found here.

We hope this helps. If you have any other questions please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Hi Sol7,

Thanks for your message.

The basic unit of electricity is the Kilowatt hour (kWh). One kWh is the amount of energy used by a 1kW (1000 watt) electric heater for one hour. Another example is ten 100-watt light bulbs used for one hour.

If the PC uses 650 watts per hour, it would take approximately one and a half hours to reach a thousand watts, or 1kW.

The total number of units used is then multiplied by your unit rate, which determines the cost of running the PC.

For example, the standard unit rate is 0.1513 per unit, excluding VAT. As such, the cost of running the computer for one and a half hours would be €0.1513, excluding VAT.

Further information on the length of time it takes to make a unit of electricity can be found online here. If you would like to further understand the energy usage of other appliances in your home, we would recommend using the My Energy Pal app, which can be found here.

We hope this helps. If you have any other questions please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________
    Easy to calculate 1kWh = €0.1513
    -so-
    0.650kWh = €0.1513 * 0.65 = €0.1
    -so-
    1 hour of 650W costs 10 cents + Vat

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Sol7 wrote: »
    Hello, I have a PC that uses approx. 650Watts I was just wondering what the cost per hour of running this system?

Kind Regards
    Your PC wouldn't be pulling 650W all the time when it is on though. That's just the rating of the power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HolyPepa

zom wrote: »
    Hi Sol7,

Thanks for your message.

Thanks,
    Brige

________
    Easy to calculate 1kWh = €0.1513
    -so-
    0.650kWh = €0.1513 * 0.65 = €0.1
    -so-
    1 hour of 650W costs 10 cents + Vat
    thanks a  lot!

Advertisement