Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidays in San Francisco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I just checked Hotwire but unable to get any good hotel for 100e. I am looking for 9 March till 12 March.
    Plus it doesn't show which hotel it is going to be unless you pay and confirm.
    athtrasna wrote: »
    I have always managed to get a 5 star on the strip around $100 on hotwire. Have been to Vegas 5 times, usually end up in the venetian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I just checked Hotwire but unable to get any good hotel for 100e. I am looking for 9 March till 12 March.
    Plus it doesn't show which hotel it is going to be unless you pay and confirm.

That's how hotwire works and that's how you get bargains. There are ways of figuring the hotels out though. Tbh it's too far away to get a bargain, 3 weeks in advance is usually prime. Check travelzoo.com for other bargain hotels

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Spent a week in San Fran a couple of years ago.

- Rent a car, as mentioned Napa/Sonoma are short drives away and well worth the visit, also stop by 1/2 vineyards for tours.
    - Parking in the city, I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Union Square, despite ridiculous prices parking the car there was something like $40 a night + tip, there was a municipal car park across the road so we used that, it was about $5 iirc

- Avenue of the Giants is about 3 hours away, it's also worth a visit but its a long trip, but good scenery on the way

- If you want to get out of California, Crater Lake is amazing
    CraterLake.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Also use Groupon about 8-12 weeks beforehand to book small trips. We got a great deal on bikes for over the Golden Gate bridge.

You're right. I checked hotel prices and getting 5 star hotel for 100e if i book 2-3 weeks in advance. This is a great tip and will be useful for others.
    athtrasna wrote: »
    That's how hotwire works and that's how you get bargains. There are ways of figuring the hotels out though. Tbh it's too far away to get a bargain, 3 weeks in advance is usually prime. Check travelzoo.com for other bargain hotels

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You're right. I checked hotel prices and getting 5 star hotel for 100e if i book 2-3 weeks in advance. This is a great tip and will be useful for others.

Betterbidding.com has hotel lists that should help you identify the hotels on hotwire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Also be aware that It's important to pick a "good" area when staying in LA. It's a massive city and you really want to be quite central.
    The Santa monica/venice beach is the very best for a first visit.

Yea hoping to get a hotel on the Strip.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Also be aware that It's important to pick a "good" area when staying in LA. It's a massive city and you really want to be quite central.

Just noticed there is a toll on Golden Gate Bridge. I can pay it online in advance which is good.

I am wondering if there are tolls on the pacific coast road? Is it best to rent toll gadget from rental company to be safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

No tolls on the costal route south of SF going to LA.
    There are a small number of toll roads which are easily avoided and car rental co. will fleece you for a toll tag.
    Also, don't rent a sat nav, again they will fleece you. Either buy a cheap one there in Walmart or similar, or use one of the very good sat nav apps where you can download maps over wifi before you go.

• Advertisement

Ok cool.
    Good thing is even on Google Maps you can download map before you travel and use it offline. I am also planning to get UK Internet only sim card (suggested on another post) which will help us check things online and book motels.
    towger wrote: »
    No tolls on the costal route south of SF going to LA.
    There are a small number of toll roads which are easily avoided and car rental co. will fleece you for a toll tag.
    Also, don't rent a sat nav, again they will fleece you. Either buy a cheap one there in Walmart or similar, or use one of the very good sat nav apps where you can download maps over wifi before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Try Gaylord suites on Jones. Very reasonable prices.

Yea hoping to get a hotel on the Strip.

I mean Los Angeles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Ok cool.
    Good thing is even on Google Maps you can download map before you travel and use it offline. I am also planning to get UK Internet only sim card (suggested on another post) which will help us check things online and book motels.

The 'Here WeGo' app is an alternative free offline satnat that you can use on your phone. You will just need a suction cup holder for your windscreen and it works very well in USA. (I use it a lot)

slightly off topic but my top tip for San Fran is renting one of the Blazing Saddle bikes and cycling over the Golden Gate Bridge. Does not take long but is the best way to do it. It is too far to walk and not the same from a car.

Agree on Blazing saddles, cycle over the bridge and take the ferry back.

I used Navmii app, worked a treat, maps downloaded beforehand.

If not said already , don't miss Alcatraz and book it online well in advance.

Also, don't bother with the cable cars, nice to look at, waste of time waiting an hour to Q for them.

towger wrote: »
    Agree on Blazing saddles, cycle over the bridge and take the ferry back.

Yes, but if you cycle over the bridge you'll miss the breathtaking views from Marin Headlands:

https://goo.gl/maps/sEcxQCTz3ZL2

Another great view spot but within the City is at Twin Peaks (you'll need a car):

https://goo.gl/maps/tZZDc7eGmUo

I will stick with the car. I am not very good with cycles and avoid exercises :P

Do you have Google maps link for a closer view of Golden gate Bridge?

Is this same spot as conzelman road? I couldn't save the links given by you, as its a street view and no option to save it on maps.

Golden Gate Bridge Vista Point

https://goo.gl/maps/wt9zAove2WN2
    Yes, but if you cycle over the bridge you'll miss the breathtaking views from Marin Headlands:

https://goo.gl/maps/sEcxQCTz3ZL2

Another great view spot but within the City is at Twin Peaks (you'll need a car):

https://goo.gl/maps/tZZDc7eGmUo

I will stick with the car. I am not very good with cycles and avoid exercises :P

Do you have Google maps link for a closer view of Golden gate Bridge?

Is this same spot as conzelman road? I couldn't save the links given by you, as its a street view and no option to save it on maps.

Golden Gate Bridge Vista Point

https://goo.gl/maps/wt9zAove2WN2

Wow. Visata point. I've never gone there and i've driven up to the other view spot many times. it looks amazing.

https://goo.gl/maps/7i7QSuBQ7qM2

Save

Yes. Same road. Its very easy to get to as well, take the first exit after the bridge, you go under the bridge and you're onto conzelman.

here's the map:

https://goo.gl/maps/QXqHxng9uRC2

Incidentally, once youre over the bridge you can drive a bit over an hour north and you'll be in Napa, the wine area. Vineyards everywhere. Very pretty. The town of Sonoma is a good place to stop.
    Save

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link. But there is no option available to save up this location on google maps. :(
    I think you can't save a location if it's in streetview mode.
    Wow. Visata point. I've never gone there and i've driven up to the other view spot many times. it looks amazing.

https://goo.gl/maps/7i7QSuBQ7qM2

Save

Thanks for the link. But there is no option available to save up this location on google maps. :(
    I think you can't save a location if it's in streetview mode.

That was from the spot marked "battery spencer" on the map link you sent.
    Save

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Don't forget Golden Gate Bridge is tolled on the way into San Francisco (same for Bay Bridge)

http://goldengate.org/tolls/rentalvehicles.php

Grand. So these are the two toll roads only?
    Don't forget Golden Gate Bridge is tolled on the way into San Francisco (same for Bay Bridge)

http://goldengate.org/tolls/rentalvehicles.php

Hi Folks,

So an update. We paid for for rental car. Got premium car :) Will there be a built in GPS system? Usually these cars come with it but i am wondering if car rental companies remove it in order to sell their own GPS?

The summary says something about toll roads and i am not sure if i need to get toll gadget from rental company? This is what it says:

TCC area (Southern CA): TollPass Convenience Charge of $3.95 for each day you use the 73, 133, 241 or 261 toll roads or bridges plus the cost of all unpaid tolls. The maximum TollPass Convenience Charge for the rental period is $19.75, plus the cost of all unpaid tolls.

I will be doing Pacific Coast drive so not sure if i will cross those toll roads? And if i do is it possible to pay toll on spot? Or is it like on M50 in Dublin, where you pay online.

Also, find the attached summary of what's included in the car rental.
    What are:
    San Mateo County Bus Lic 2.50 Pct (2.5%)
    Air Tran Fee 19.00/rntl?

Thanks

Anyone please answer the above ?

And recommend a motel on half way between SFO & Los Angeles ? On Pacific Coast drive

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Anyone please answer the above ?

And recommend a motel on half way between SFO & Los Angeles ? On Pacific Coast drive

Can you get to Monterrey? I stayed here in September it's fabulous, plenty of top accommodation there. Monterrey to LAX is about 5 hours

Yea i will definitely go to Monterrey but on google maps it shows another 8 hours drive to LAX from Monterrey. So i prefer on almost half way.
    Can you get to Monterrey? I stayed here in September it's fabulous, plenty of top accommodation there. Monterrey to LAX is about 5 hours

Yea i will definitely go to Monterrey but on google maps it shows another 8 hours drive to LAX from Monterrey. So i prefer on almost half way.

San Louis Obispo. Or Morro Bay but its much smaller.

If you can go as far as Santa Barbara then it helps with the drive in to LA the next day.

• Advertisement

Also, find the attached summary of what's included in the car rental.
    What are:
    San Mateo County Bus Lic 2.50 Pct (2.5%)
    Air Tran Fee 19.00/rntl?

No idea but at a guess I'd say its something to do with the shuttle bus you take from the airport to the rental lot?

Save

Advertisement