Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidays in San Francisco

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

InTheTrees wrote: »
    No idea but at a guess I'd say its something to do with the shuttle bus you take from the airport to the rental lot?

It's for use of the Air Train in SFO

http://blog.sfgate.com/dgreenberg/2012/04/19/sfo-rental-car-cos-may-be-mischarging-20-fee/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Ok cool.

Good thing is that it's included in the rental price
    No idea but at a guess I'd say its something to do with the shuttle bus you take from the airport to the rental lot?

Save

Just saw on google maps and it looks like the right spot. I will check for motels there now.
    Thanks alot
    San Louis Obispo. Or Morro Bay but its much smaller.

If you can go as far as Santa Barbara then it helps with the drive in to LA the next day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its a nice trip OP but its going to be expensive. Limit your stay in SF to cover the things you want to do there. Do Alcatraz and book it now so that you can get on the night tour. Jump on a trolley from Fisherman's Wharf to Union Square. Eat and drink in the Mission. Just for reference, I paid $14+tip for a sandwich, crisps and coke on a sandwich shop yesterday.

Its off your itinerary but if you fancy wine there is Napa or Sonoma over the Golden Gate bridge. I prefer Sonoma. Stop off in downtown Petaluma in Sonoma for a slice of 50's life... http://www.petalumadowntown.com/welcome.html

Hotels are very pricey in SF and rarely include parking (which can be an additional $25-$30+tip per day.) Airbnb or hotwire are your friends.

You wont need a toll pass for your trip as the only toll you'll encounter is heading to the city over GG Bridge or Bay Bridge (or any of the bridges over the Bay). You dont have to pay a toll leaving the city by the bridges though.

As mentioned drive down the Pacific Coast Highway. Areas to consider staying are Santa Barbara or Monterey. You can rock up to a motel or a best western on the day and see what rate they will give you. The half way point for the PCH is either Cambria or San Luis Obispo. I stay in Cambria every year for a comedy event so know the area (and a few locals!) well. Its a small town with a saloon and some really great bakeries and cafes. There are a couple of motels on the outskirts of town.
    You could also stay in the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo. This place is unreal. http://www.madonnainn.com/

LA is worth skipping if you are on a budget. Its an ugly city. Unless there is something you want to do there, I'd skip it.

Vegas can be done on the cheap but its tricky. Best not to stay at the weekend for a start. Its still going to be lively but will be cheaper. Vegas is a kip so unless you are staying on the strip, dont bother going. The whole thing with Vegas is the strip. Dining out can range from cheap to super expensive in the hotels. Some hotels will sell 24 all you can eat passes that also work in other hotels. Keep an eye out for them. More info on Vegas on this website. https://www.vegas.com/

If you are roadtripping it and doing Vegas you'd be mad not to squeeze in Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon.

Exchange rate between dollar and euro is at its worst. Expect €1 = $1

Thank you FACEMAN.

We got flights for 2 and a nice car booked for whole journey and it costed €1450.

I will book hotel/motel very soon. As other suggested the prime time to book a hotel is 4 weeks before arrival.
    I found 2.5* hotel with free parking/wifi and we will use parkopedia to find cheap parkings in the town.
    In LAX we want to visit hollywood and the famous beach there. Perhaps will cut down to 2 nights in LAX.
    Yes we will get a hotel on the Vegas Strip only and then return the rental car at LV airport.

Re: road toll you mentioned, is it possible to pay on the spot? Like barrier gates.
    faceman wrote: »
    Its a nice trip OP but its going to be expensive. Limit your stay in SF to cover the things you want to do there. Do Alcatraz and book it now so that you can get on the night tour. Jump on a trolley from Fisherman's Wharf to Union Square. Eat and drink in the Mission. Just for reference, I paid $14+tip for a sandwich, crisps and coke on a sandwich shop yesterday.

Its off your itinerary but if you fancy wine there is Napa or Sonoma over the Golden Gate bridge. I prefer Sonoma. Stop off in downtown Petaluma in Sonoma for a slice of 50's life... http://www.petalumadowntown.com/welcome.html

Hotels are very pricey in SF and rarely include parking (which can be an additional $25-$30+tip per day.) Airbnb or hotwire are your friends.

You wont need a toll pass for your trip as the only toll you'll encounter is heading to the city over GG Bridge or Bay Bridge (or any of the bridges over the Bay). You dont have to pay a toll leaving the city by the bridges though.

As mentioned drive down the Pacific Coast Highway. Areas to consider staying are Santa Barbara or Monterey. You can rock up to a motel or a best western on the day and see what rate they will give you. The half way point for the PCH is either Cambria or San Luis Obispo. I stay in Cambria every year for a comedy event so know the area (and a few locals!) well. Its a small town with a saloon and some really great bakeries and cafes. There are a couple of motels on the outskirts of town.
    You could also stay in the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo. This place is unreal. http://www.madonnainn.com/

LA is worth skipping if you are on a budget. Its an ugly city. Unless there is something you want to do there, I'd skip it.

Vegas can be done on the cheap but its tricky. Best not to stay at the weekend for a start. Its still going to be lively but will be cheaper. Vegas is a kip so unless you are staying on the strip, dont bother going. The whole thing with Vegas is the strip. Dining out can range from cheap to super expensive in the hotels. Some hotels will sell 24 all you can eat passes that also work in other hotels. Keep an eye out for them. More info on Vegas on this website. https://www.vegas.com/

If you are roadtripping it and doing Vegas you'd be mad not to squeeze in Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon.

Exchange rate between dollar and euro is at its worst. Expect €1 = $1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Just saw on google maps and it looks like the right spot. I will check for motels there now.
    Thanks alot

SLO has plenty. I wouldnt bother with booking anything it'll just tie you down.

You should book LA in advance though. Remember....Santa Monica or Venice Beach. Dont be tempted by cheap hotels by the airport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thank you FACEMAN.

We got flights for 2 and a nice car booked for whole journey and it costed €1450.

I will book hotel/motel very soon. As other suggested the prime time to book a hotel is 4 weeks before arrival.
    I found 2.5* hotel with free parking/wifi and we will use parkopedia to find cheap parkings in the town.
    In LAX we want to visit hollywood and the famous beach there. Perhaps will cut down to 2 nights in LAX.
    Yes we will get a hotel on the Vegas Strip only and then return the rental car at LV airport.

Re: road toll you mentioned, is it possible to pay on the spot? Like barrier gates.

Yes indeed you can pay on the spot. Think it's about $5 toll.

You'll have a great time!

So time is near to fly.

I am wondering what's the best way to pay for goods n foods in US? Last time i used my credit card everywhere which came up with some extra charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Revolut worked very well for me

Just noticed there is a toll on Golden Gate Bridge. I can pay it online in advance which is good.

I am wondering if there are tolls on the pacific coast road? Is it best to rent toll gadget from rental company to be safe?

No tolls on PCH. The toll on GG is only payable when if heading toward San Francisco. No toll is due if you are leaving the city. You won't need the toll fob from the rental company

• Advertisement
Advertisement