Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse question

Options
  • 30-12-2016 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

First of all I wish you all a very happy new year in advance ! Plus I hope you all had a great Christmas time.

I have a BILLION of questions to you all because basically I'm from abroad (France), I had two horses couple years ago, I'm a horse rider since 15 years.

I wanted to know could you please tell me approx how much will it cost for me to have my own horse in Ireland (boarding,horse shoes etc ...)

+ I would like to start having lessons here on a equestrian close to my place (Kanturk)

Kilguilkey House Equestrian Ltd

But I feel like they won't let me do the stuff like I usually do and I guess I'll feel board quite soon.

Thanks a lot for all your further replies.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Moved from Animals and Pets. Please note that the Equestrian forum charter now applies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Lucky you to be in the middle of such great horse country. I was in Castlemagner on Stephen's Day to see the Duhallow meet.

When you say "stuff you used to do" -what do you mean?Do you have your own horse now?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭barry1708

Lucky you to be in the middle of such great horse country. I was in Castlemagner on Stephen's Day to see the Duhallow meet.

When you say "stuff you used to do" -what do you mean?Do you have your own horse now?

Hi there !
    I don't have a horse here at the moment but I will in the futur !

I don't like receiving orders from people telling me what to do with a horse which is why I usually prefer to have my own horse !

But don't know how much it will cost to have one here in Ireland

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Unless you get your own horse, really you won't have any choice. No riding school is going to let you off alone on one of their horses. I certainly wouldn't let a stranger off on my boy, quiet and all as he is!

There are different types of livery- grass- where the horse lives out all the time, working livery, where your horse will be used by others for a certain amount of the time,DIYwhere you feed and muck out each day and full which will be the most expensive,your horse may be turned out/exercised for you each day,fed and mucked out but you will still have to pay for vets/farriers/worming etc.

You need to find out what yards in your area charge for what you want. As to buying a horse, be careful, plenty people will try to sell you something that won't meet your needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

barry1708 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

First of all I wish you all a very happy new year in advance ! Plus I hope you all had a great Christmas time.

I have a BILLION of questions to you all because basically I'm from abroad (France), I had two horses couple years ago, I'm a horse rider since 15 years.

I wanted to know could you please tell me approx how much will it cost for me to have my own horse in Ireland (boarding,horse shoes etc ...)

+ I would like to start having lessons here on a equestrian close to my place (Kanturk)

Kilguilkey House Equestrian Ltd

But I feel like they won't let me do the stuff like I usually do and I guess I'll feel board quite soon.

Thanks a lot for all your further replies.

Cheers

Bonjour! I am also French, living in Ireland since Jan 2006 and a horse(s) owner. I know how different it is between Ireland and France, so if I can be of any assistance I'll be glad to help! I'm located in Co. Kerry.

What exactly do yu mean by "But I feel like they won't let me do the stuff like I usually do and I guess I'll feel board quite soon" (you mean bored I guess :) ) On this side there is no real difference between France and Ireland: when you own your own horse you are allowed to do what you want except when it goes against safety and regulations?
    There are a lot of posts on the forum re boarding fees, you might have a look, as it depends on what the yard provides: arena, manege, paddocks, etc. and whether you do the mucking yourself, etc.
    I am sending you my email address by pm, if you want to discuss things in French.
    Happy New Year to you anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

barry1708 wrote: »
    Hi there !
    I don't have a horse here at the moment but I will in the futur !

I don't like receiving orders from people telling me what to do with a horse which is why I usually prefer to have my own horse !

But don't know how much it will cost to have one here in Ireland

Well.. don't expect anyone to let you ride their horse.. unless you are Stephane Delaveau or Billy Twomey.. and even them would kinda listen... :rolleyes:

Advertisement