Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cramps & Taurine.

Options
  • 30-12-2016 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭

I have been struggling with hamstring cramps since I did the Sean Kelly 160km this year and have tried different things to help and /or cure them to no avail.

I stumbled on an article that recommended 2mg of Taurine before bed or after exercise to help with cramps. After 3 weeks of following this I have had little or no cramping even after intense exercise.

While it may not work for everyone I said I'd post this as it may help someone here as I have gotten much help and advise here, pay it forward as such....

EDIT: It seems the combo with BCCA does aid whatever it has been doing for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Personally I would not touch it and consider it bad advice.

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/dangers-of-taurine/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Arthurdaly wrote: »

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/dangers-of-taurine/

The dose makes the posion? Naturally occurring nutrient.

Used for treating muscle cramps in patients with liver disease I think or I have a vague memory of reading such a study?

Have your steak rare, don't over cook your fish and eggs and you should be good to go

Yep lets load up the bottles with some redbull, sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Arthurdaly wrote:

Everything in moderation...
    Personally I think that website is a bit dodgy but, that's only my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

2gms in powder form daily is what I use, not cans and cans of Red Bull.

• Advertisement

Everything in moderation...
    Personally I think that website is a bit dodgy but, that's only my opinion.

It might just be dodgy. All the young athletes going around with their hands down their pants drinking monster drink cant be wrong!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dahat wrote: »

That's the content of 2 cans of red bull. I'd have thought the key is to stay hydrated and rest when the body is telling you it needs it.

Red Bull is also stuffed with caffeine and sugar though

Weepsie wrote: »
    That's the content of 2 cans of red bull. I'd have thought the key is to stay hydrated and rest when the body is telling you it needs it.

Red Bull is also stuffed with caffeine and sugar though

I wasn't aware of that if I'm being honest.

The difference has been immense for me tbh and I'm quite good at hydration without being extreme on it. I was suffering when I needed to up intensity for whatever reason and have been able to since using this.

I will watch for other reactions though and update if nessecary.

It's awful advice, get your energy requirements from elsewhere.

It's awful advice, get your energy requirements from elsewhere.

It's not for energy.

Don't use the advice then.

• Advertisement

It's not for energy.

Don't use the advice then.

I certainly won't, I hope nobody here takes your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Have you read the OP?

He's taking Taurine powder, you put up a link on a site discussing red bull?

Any studies on negative effects of supplementing with taurine powder? Not red bull now taurine powder.

I'd have a look at diet quality in long term if you are low in any nutrient however

You linked to the website of a chiropractor (not a real doctor) who is giving people the same type of advice and using that as some kind of proof.

He can take what he wants but there is no substitute for good natural nutrition, its bad advice.

He can take what he wants but there is no substitute for good natural nutrition, its bad advice.

You'd have been better off just saying that, rather than link it to some quack website, a quack who pushes all sorts of other supplements no less. You're lambasting someone for giving bad advice, but and backing it up with rubbish. The article has 2 references, one is Wired Magazine and the other is a medical website which seems to just publish the sensationalist crap that gets in the front of newspapers.

There are quite a few studies on the benefits of Taurine supplements if you had the means and methods of looking for them. I'm sure there's plenty which explore the negative or even just passive effects, but that website is not the way to get your info.

But I do agree with good natural nutrition, though people have different needs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there is no substitute for good natural nutrition
    i possibly have haemochromatosis, what good natural nutrition would you recommend for me which would replace the need to give blood occasionally?

(and yes, i know, no medical advice on boards; i am not asking for medical advice)

i possibly have haemochromatosis, what good natural nutrition would you recommend for me which would replace the need to give blood occasionally?

(and yes, i know, no medical advice on boards; i am not asking for medical advice)

Few cans of red bull and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maybe the cramps would have gone anyway.

Would suggest coming off the supplements and seeing if they come back. The human body is a funny thing. Are you going to take supplements daily for the rest of your life? Seems expensive and risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Would you pass a drug test in sports whilst using it ?

Lumen wrote: »
    Maybe the cramps would have gone anyway.

Would suggest coming off the supplements and seeing if they come back. The human body is a funny thing. Are you going to take supplements daily for the rest of your life? Seems expensive and risky.

This isn't a bad idea, going to wait another two weeks and then go without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I used to get cramps on a regular basis and they almost completely disappeared after a proper bike fit. Just something to think about if you have any issues down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

I stumbled on an article that recommended 2mg of Taurine before bed or after exercise to help with cramps. After 3 weeks of following this I have had little or no cramping even after intense exercise.

Read the recommended dose again .............

Advertisement