Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Cycle 2017

Options
  • 30-12-2016 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Sat July 1st

Maybe the organisers will see sense after the disaster of last year which saw numbers participating and money raised falling dramatically and the reputation of the event tarnished by the actions of the committee.

Registration for the 2017 Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle will open in early February.

"There will be no lottery system, just a basic entry fee with an option offered to raise additional funds for the Charity you choose from the ten selected Charities. Full details will be posted in advance."

So fairly dramatic changes. Registration opening early, no "lottery" with non refundable entry fee and no two tier pricing with "premium" €180 places.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Basic entry fee.....Nothing basic about €80.

I will still consider this as I've never done one.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

"Basic entry fee.....Nothing basic about €80."

One entry fee for all would be far fairer than what was done last year. A non refundable fee to enter a lottery to have a chance to pay the basic fee and those that were unsuccessful told that they had to pay a substantial premium for "charity" place if they wanted to join those that were allowed to pay the basic which was €85. Despite substantial advertising spend committee were left with large number of unsold places.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

nostro wrote: »
    "Basic entry fee.....Nothing basic about €80."

One entry fee for all would be far fairer than what was done last year. A non refundable fee to enter a lottery to have a chance to pay the basic fee and those that were unsuccessful told that they had to pay a substantial premium for "charity" place if they wanted to join those that were allowed to pay the basic which was €85. Despite substantial advertising spend committee were left with large number of unsold places.

You are correct, the old fashioned entry system is what works best and likely returns the event to being a sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Having never done this before I'm just wondering what it is like, as in would it be worth attempting for a novice cyclist?

"Having never done this before I'm just wondering what it is like, as in would it be worth attempting for a novice cyclist?"

Definitely. Well doable with a bit of training. Fairly flat through most of the route.

• Advertisement

Registration from this years cycle should open around Feb 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ruffmut

I see the commitee have decided a entry of €100 plus service charge for this year's ring with the option of additional contribution

http://www.radiokerry.ie/ring-kerry-charity-cycle-announces-10-main-beneficiary-charities-2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

€100!!!!! Thats mad money to be asking people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wow, that's steep. I guess they see some people have more disposable income and are going for it. They see people turning up on bikes costing thousands of Euro and think they could charge more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

That's me out,

Was hoping to do it this year to knock it off the list. But not at that price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭urbanshirl

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Having never done this before I'm just wondering what it is like, as in would it be worth attempting for a novice cyclist?

I did it as a novice cyclist for the first time 3 years ago, its very doable, nice easy pace, very few challenging hills, I did the 3 Climbs cycle, the 80k a few months beforehand, it takes in Molls Gap, so gave me a good indication of where I was at training wise prior to the ROK

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

€100!!!!! Thats mad money to be asking people.

€103.50 total:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

vicwatson wrote: »
    €103.50 total:eek:

Thats me out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

Ring of Beara is the new Ring of Kerry.
    Unfortunately the ROK organisers seem to think they can charge what they want and people will turn up none the less. There are much, much better sportives available at a fraction of the cost. I understand the ROK makes a lot of money for charities but I also get the feeling it's not just the charities doing well out of the event. I for one would not consider doing it ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Janey I'd expect one of them yellow Mavic service cars with spare wheels and bottles following me for that price.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭urbanshirl

I agree guym we have registered for ROB this year instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

The ROK fleecing continues

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Completed the ROK back in 2012 as I was new to cycling at the time and really enjoyed the day out. The price in recent years is just too much for 1 event in my mind as i complete charity events throughout the year. This year alone have 15 penciled in the calender. Most people enter these events for the challenge more so than the charity. There are plenty of great charity cycling events that are more challenging in West Cork and Kerry throughout the year that i'll be attending instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Thats me out!!!

I agree. They have taken the spirit of what was an inspirational event raising much needed charity funds and goodwill and turned it into an event that reeks of pure greed which the town of Killarney has latched on to with its exorbitant accommodation rates which i for one will never again support. Their are imo plenty other worthy events countrywide to support with their feet firmly on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Although what I'm about to say may be considered unpopular, I've done ROK 7 times and always paid my way and more . I live on ROK and I'll be leaving from my house this year and not paying subscription at all.

I won't be eating there food or drink . as I've done in past I'll leave early from my house and fund my own food.

I'll donate 50 euro to local charity or I'll chuck my 50 onto someone ells sponcer form who is officially doing it.

Like others I do a few charity cycles every year and this one is over priced .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Although what I'm about to say may be considered unpopular, I've done ROK 7 times and always paid my way and more . I live on ROK and I'll be leaving from my house this year and not paying subscription at all.

I won't be eating there food or drink . as I've done in past I'll leave early from my house and fund my own food.

I'll donate 50 euro to local charity or I'll chuck my 50 onto someone ells sponcer form who is officially doing it.

Like others I do a few charity cycles every year and this one is over priced .

Why not just do it on another day of the year then instead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

jamesd wrote: »
    Why not just do it on another day of the year then instead ?

I just find its safer with buses and trucks normally doing that route .

There is another cycle of ring in Aug , "hard way round" I'll be doing that but as name sujests its a harder route, doing ROK is good training for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Doc07

My two cents.
    Charity or not, if you want to charge the big bucks it's time to get professional and that means rolling road closures. If they secured that then €100 is no longer a rip off compared to international sportives.
    ROK at 10,000 people is a massive event. Aside from Ride London 25,000 and the one in South Africa 30,000, ROK is in the next category of biggest sportives in the world ie similar numbers to L'Etape.
    Big sportives are generally pricey. Ride London is minimum 90£, Grand Fondo in USA >100$ and Etape and Marmotte are secured by many people using agents /sport travel company and cost 150-200.

So if ROK got professional and closed the roads €100 would suddenly be good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

First point
    The ring of Kerry is there 365 days a year (366 in a leap year) so you can pretty much do it anytime you want bar the first Saturday in each July. So let them charge what they want for those willing to pay that exorbitant fee (not me btw) and go do the ring yourself or with a few mates some other time.

Second point
    The Skoda series of cylcles is just as well organised and at a fraction of the cost of the ROK. I'm doing the Tour de Connemara in May and that's just €40. Plus I get a nice gillet as part of the entry fee.

No brainer if you ask me but then again, no one did!

Right I'm off out for a nice 100km spin. Safe cycling ya'll

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Few points.
    1. The minimum charge was brought in when the ROK got really popular a few years ago, before then the funds raised came from people going around with sponsorship cards and collecting money. When the interest in cycling exploded a few years ago more and more people started doing the ROK. Some people then started taking advantage doing the ROK and handing in whatever loose change they had, so person A would have raised €120 and the next person would have given €7.26 in change, hence the introduction of a minimum charge.

2. The lottery system was brought in to try and alleviate pressure on the website. With thousands of people trying to register at once the website crashed. If the website doesn't crash, you're still left with a very narrow window to actually register. Other events such as the New York and London marathons, and quite a number of the cycling events on the continent now go by a lottery system. Don't forget that entry was capped at 10,000!

3. Prices in the town. This is not unique to Killarney, just take a look at any sporting event in Ireland and abroad and look at prices of hotels and food around the time of concerts and sporting events (ie concerts/GAA in croker). Its supply v demand, its everywhere.

4. Road closures have been part of the ROK for the past number of years. From memory there was one from outside Killarney (where people were stopped for having tags on incorrectly or for having no tag at all), and Molls Gap. Unless people are saying they want it done Ras style where cars are pulled over while the peloton passes (but then who would set the pace and would that mean the enforcement of a wave system for 50-100 people at a time)? I think from a repair point of view that the ROK does an alright job? They seem to have a lot of bikes/vans around and dedicated repair centres in each of the food stops.

5. Finally, all of the committee are volunteers. The ROK is something that takes up a lot (if not all) their spare time. We all know how difficult it is to organise an event like a 21st or a 50th birthday bash, but can you imagine the hours and the amount of paperwork that goes into looking after 10,000 people and all the support crew. Their decisions won't suit everyone but then again there's a load of other cycling events out there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think people still feel the charging for the lottery was just a bit cynical to be honest. The lottery could have been done without charge, but on the understanding that winners are then charged when drawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

5. Finally, all of the committee are volunteers. The ROK is something that takes up a lot (if not all) their spare time. We all know how difficult it is to organise an event like a 21st or a 50th birthday bash, but can you imagine the hours and the amount of paperwork that goes into looking after 10,000 people and all the support crew. Their decisions won't suit everyone but then again there's a load of other cycling events out there.

I can understand the rest of the points but from a cycling point of view cycling as a sport is nearly completely reliant on volunteers. Both from a racing and leisure perspective. Only a very small number of events both leisure and racing have anything near a full time organising team. Most events are completely reliant on volunteers for every part of their running, not to speak of all the countless hours put in my club members. Cycling at an organizational level isn't a rich sport. It's nearly completely reliant on volunteers.

The Ring of Kerry is not unique in terms of being run by volunteers and most events would love to be able to attract a fraction of the commercial donations that come its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

It's really disappointing to see this level of price gouging going on in the leisure scene. Even the WW200 this year being €50 made me second guess whether or not I'd participate. Plenty of other events are able to support charities without hammering the participants from the get go. Unlikely I'll ever get to partake unless they review their pricing structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge organizers made it free this year with an optional charity donation. 2736 registered and while they won't all of course do it I heard through the grapevine that more money has come in than in the years when they charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I've done the ROK several times before and this year, I was looking at doing it with two buddies who've never done it. When doing an out of town event, we usually bring our families in tow and make the weekend out of it. The costs of accommodation locally are banditry for the ROK weekend, therefore taking three families with us really is great expense in itself. With collective entry fees north of €300, I reckon we're going to give this a miss and do something else instead.

I'm into supporting charities every but as much as the next person, but the cynic in me is saying that these entry charges are a step too much. The local economy along the ROK and around Killarney in particular benefit greatly from this day, but given the aforementioned costs before we even spin a wheel, I'm not minded to pay €100 for the privilege nor will I be asking others to sponsor me.

To me this seems like a cynical attempt to maximise return and reduce numbers taking part. Good luck to them if they succeed and don't price themselves out of the game.

Advertisement