Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Cycle 2017

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I entered a few years ago but in the end could not make it (don't think they closed entries that year). I was surprised when I received a request for sponsorship money several weeks later

It seems clear to me this is a fundraising event first and foremost. Yes people get something out of completing but the organisers are simply looking at maximising charitable contributions. Now there's nothing wrong with that in my view, but I think anyone looking to participate should look at this more as a charity fundraiser rather than a serious cycling event

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Accommodation is expensive because it's Killarney, the hotels would do fine without this event, I think ppl think the whole town waits for this weekend every year, killarney is busy every weekend during the summer ROK or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

2017 would have been my 8th ROK in a row but have a family wedding attend that same weekend so will be missing it. I have no problem with the entry fee as there is no other cycling event like this in terms of numbers and atmosphere. If you are reading and have never done a ROK then please ignore all the naysayers and just do it as there will as always be 10,000 happy cyclists on the day enjoying every minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Coming from Killarney, I can tell you that Killarney is booked for May, June July August and September, we would be busy that weekend, even without the ring, what I actually find is that an awful lot of people, -cyclists, including me- leave town for the weekend, Ive done the Ring of Kerry this year by bike already, I do it 3/4 times a year by pleasure car, and will probably do it one or two more times by bike.
    A lot of the time, we have a munster final on the same weekend, and the regatta, it would be great to spread it out, but there is something every weekend here, there's a reason we are one of the best tourist towns in the world.

I last did the ROK with the crowds in 2014, I realised it was not fun for me, too many people, before I would leave at 6 and be back by 11ish, but that year, there were slower people already on the roads at 4 or 5, which meant you could still meet them, maybe walking their bike down a hill in the middle of the road, and not being aware that other cyclists were actually cycling there, too many close calls and no matter what notice I gave to these people about approaching, they would still say-it's not a race- I got very turned off it. But I also need to take into consideration, that these people may train just for this cycle, they may not look at the bike again until March-so it's about them, and there are more of these 'leisure' cyclists, than competitive cyclists, so I stay away, for their sanity, but mostly my own.

I would recommend to anyone that has not done it, to do it though, the atmosphere is great here and I know a lot of people have made great friends on that weekend, either by meeting them on the ROK or else in the pubs/restaurants after.

liam7831 wrote: »
    Accommodation is expensive because it's Killarney, the hotels would do fine without this event, I think ppl think the whole town waits for this weekend every year, killarney is busy every weekend during the summer ROK or not

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

Few points.

2. The lottery system was brought in to try and alleviate pressure on the website. With thousands of people trying to register at once the website crashed. If the website doesn't crash, you're still left with a very narrow window to actually register.

Felt that the website crashing due to the enormous interest in doing the Ring in 2015 was very contrived. Keeping registration closed till very late, heavily publicising the exact time registration would open and convincing people that they had to try to register as soon as registration opened. Then giving responsibility for handling registration to a mickey mouse company that was unable to cope. Up until that year it had taken months for places to be filled. The lottery last year was the most cynical and nasty scam i've seen in a while. A lot of people do such events with groups of friends so giving places to some but telling others that they were unsuccessful so had to pay significantly more if they wanted to join their friends. It backfired because lots of people were not prepared to pay the ridiculous prices they were charging for the premium places.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Actually, if I recall correctly, it wasn't just the asking people to pay for a chance to enter that was cynical. There was a last minute deadline extension which was even worse. It completely ruined the fairness of he lottery system on those who had entered on time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Couldn't agree more, but when one looks at the cost of the weekend in its totality, it is excessive and hard to justify. This is something that's clearly lost on the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

I've done the ROK cycle several times, so the novelty is wearing off a bit now (and I don't mean that as a criticism).  The route itself is quite boring, and as a club we've a 'Modified ROK' which is a much more interesting route, plus we can do it anytime.
    For those who are worried about accommodation costs I would just stay in Tralee, or any other town nearby.
    All in all, it's still worth doing (at least once).  The atmosphere is great (you just have to be patient and allow the massive variation in cycling abilities and safety nous).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

youtheman wrote: »
    I've done the ROK cycle several times, so the novelty is wearing off a bit now (and I don't mean that as a criticism).  The route itself is quite boring, and as a club we've a 'Modified ROK' which is a much more interesting route, plus we can do it anytime.
    For those who are worried about accommodation costs I would just stay in Tralee, or any other town nearby.
    All in all, it's still worth doing (at least once).  The atmosphere is great (you just have to be patient and allow the massive variation in cycling abilities and safety nous).

For anyone from well up the country, consider staying in Cork. Less than an hour from Killarney.
    Not the greatest sportif, nor the most beautiful sportif (that's anything in Cork) but it's worth doing at least once in your life.

For anyone from well up the country, consider staying in Cork. Less than an hour from Killarney.
    Not the greatest sportif, nor the most beautiful sportif (that's anything in Cork) but it's worth doing at least once in your life.

It's takes longer than 1 hour and it would mean getting up at a crazy hour and driving back afterwards, wouldn't work imo

• Advertisement

It's takes longer than 1 hour and it would mean getting up at a crazy hour and driving back afterwards, wouldn't work imo

works for me and have done exactly this every year since 2010. We leave around 6am and that gets us on our bikes well before 8am including picking up bike tags and home again before 7pm.

Jasis
    Is Ms Daisey in the car with you?

Leave the house at 6.30 every year (city centre), I'm cycling by 7.30/7.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I'd definitely recommend the ROK as an experience and there's really little differnece between the 65/70 or whatever it was I paid in 2014 and the hundred they are looking for now so if this was my first time to do it I doubt it would put me off.

But having experienced it and adding in the accommodation costs I think it's enough to put me off doing it again.

Jasis
    Is Ms Daisey in the car with you?

Leave the house at 6.30 every year (city centre), I'm cycling by 7.30/7.45.

Tightness is a terrible affliction

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

I have heard that the registration fee has increased to €100 this year.

Looks like they want to kill off this event.

yessam wrote: »
    I have heard that the registration fee has increased to €100 this year.

Looks like they want to kill off this event.

the event will be sold out and the price will keep increasing as it is over subscribed every year. This is a financial juggernaut for Kerry and it will got on for many more years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

BailMeOut wrote: »
    the event will be sold out and the price will keep increasing as it is over subscribed every year.

did last years report not state that numbers were down? if i remember it was discussed in last years thread

mossym wrote: »
    did last years report not state that numbers were down? if i remember it was discussed in last years thread

last year was well sold out and a lot of people paid EUR10 for a lottery place and still did not get in.

Would be interesting to compare how many pay to do it and do not turn up on the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

there is a huge difference between a sell out and not getting into the lottery. the lottery is the cheapest way of getting in, or was last year. the lottery was oversubscribed, loads of people did pay their entry and not get in. yet it was reported the overall take was down. mainly due to charities been left with spots as people weren't prepared to pay the extra they were looking for .most of the charities were looking for more, wasn't it over 200 last year?. there were a couple of charities that low balled on the price and did sell out their allocation.

i guess it depends what you call a sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

I wonder did they change the agency handling the booking system....and can they handle a possible 10,000 hits in an hour this time!!!

• Advertisement

I have participated in this event the last four years and I have no doubt the numbers were at there lowest last year.
    It was easy to see the the numbers of cyclists on the road, the numbers at the food stops and the amount of people around Killarney on the Friday and Saturday evenings were well down on the previous years.
    I think the aim is to make the event smaller.

Last year's was definitely not a sell out. Despite an extensive advertising campaign many charities were left with places they couldn't get rid of. Overall numbers were down by about 2000 and funds collected were well down.

Many of those who paid a non refundable fee to enter lottery were unsuccessful but as another poster pointed out this had nothing to do with a shortage of overall places.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

dahat wrote: »
    Basic entry fee.....Nothing basic about €80.

I will still consider this as I've never done one.

Don't bother head down when there's nothing on and actually enjoy the roads without fear of getting blown into oncoming traffic by clowns who don't know how to ride their bikes

dvntie wrote: »
    Don't bother head down when there's nothing on and actually enjoy the roads without fear of getting blown into oncoming traffic by clowns who don't know how to ride their bikes

ah Jasis T, isnt that part of the whole experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

ah Jasis T, isnt that part of the whole experience!

It was when clubs were encouraged not to take part. That was it for me

Registration straightforward and hassle free. A massive change from the cute kerry hoor shenanigans of previous years.
    I know some feel that an entry fee of €103.50 is a bit high but at least they are doing it the right way this year.

"We will be in contact with you shortly regarding raising additional funds on a voluntary basis". Yeah. whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Jeez... This thread gone very quiet!!! Everyone got in then!!!!

So a big thumbs up to the Committee in getting the registration right this year!!!

Masala wrote: »

So a big thumbs up to the Committee in getting the registration right this year!!!

If they get 10,000 at €103.50 you have to hand it to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Masala wrote: »

A few years ago the RoK thread ran to almost 100 pages, since then the goodwill towards the event has diminished substantially. Ham fisted efforts by the committee to come up with a fair price have not gone down well. Most other charity cycles are in the 30 to 50 euro price range so why the committee has deemed that the Ring is worth double that has turned a lot of people off.
    The fact that they decide to collect for numerous charities, therefore raising the amount that is needed in order for each charity to receive a respectable amount is their own choice. Pick 2 charities, charge 50e and an option to buy a jersey and they will sell out no bother. I suspect this years event will do well but it will not sell out which is a shame because the cycle itself is a smashing day out but until they rein in their pricing structure the record breaking amounts raised are a thing of the past.

Advertisement