Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Cycle 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

Two of the ten charities seem to have filled their allocation so far.

Will be interesting to see which is the least popular charity. Will it be "Buy a bus" campaign or the Rathmore group that spent €1.7 million renovating an old convent or Talbot Grove, the expensive privately run drying out centre that only those with money or the best private health insurance can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

yessam wrote: »
    If they get 10,000 at €103.50 you have to hand it to them.

That's only a €1m!!! Still well down on the €1.5 to 1.7m they took in over past 2 years!!

nostro wrote: »
    Two of the ten charities seem to have filled their allocation so far.

Will be interesting to see which is the least popular charity. Will it be "Buy a bus" campaign or the Rathmore group that spent €1.7 million renovating an old convent or Talbot Grove, the expensive privately run drying out centre that only those with money or the best private health insurance can afford.

Which 2?????

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

Masala wrote: »
    That's only a €1m!!! Still well down on the €1.5 to 1.7m they took in over past 2 years!!

That doesn't include jerseys and extra fundraising that some cyclists do

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

Totally agree, did it in 2014 was thinking of doing it again - not now. It's a cash cow basically, we all know it's for Charities etc and some really need the money and some are public funded with Charity status. I know plenty who've given up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Having never done this before I'm just wondering what it is like, as in would it be worth attempting for a novice cyclist?

Definitely, did it a few years ago having never done a ride longer than 50K. Theres no pressure getting tailed off, IMO the main thing is not to blow up by pushing it early on. It is a long day in fairness, I ended up doing it on my own and that was actually a good idea as I could go at a pace that suited me and didnt have to think about anyone else. You'll be fine for company if you need it.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

What annoyed me most about it was that people travelled from all over the country to support the ROK, yet it was only charities from Kerry that benefit from it. This may have changed now, but personally I thought it was very unfair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Aquos76 wrote: »
    What annoyed me most about it was that people travelled from all over the country to support the ROK, yet it was only charities from Kerry that benefit from it. This may have changed now, but personally I thought it was very unfair.

No one forced anyone to do the cycle, it was a nice cycle back in the early days of it. Lads out enjoying the day. Now it's a mini Tour de France.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Aquos76 wrote: »
    So if a group in Waterford organised a sportive in Waterford to raise money for a Waterford based charity, and cyclists travelled from other counties to take part, you think the money raised by those from outside should not be kept in Waterford? That's a ridiculous belief.

No one forced anyone from outside Kerry to do the ROK.

I agree that nobody forced us to do the cycle but I think it would be nice if at least one national charity was inculcated especially when a large percentage of the cyclists are from outside Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Although what I'm about to say may be considered unpopular, I've done ROK 7 times and always paid my way and more . I live on ROK and I'll be leaving from my house this year and not paying subscription at all.

I won't be eating there food or drink . as I've done in past I'll leave early from my house and fund my own food.

I'll donate 50 euro to local charity or I'll chuck my 50 onto someone ells sponcer form who is officially doing it.

Like others I do a few charity cycles every year and this one is over priced .

I've had a re think on this, I'm out .

I might do some volunteer work on event instead . I've a few events I'm doing this year and I just feel 103 is to much.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

So if a group in Waterford organised a sportive in Waterford to raise money for a Waterford based charity, and cyclists travelled from other counties to take part, you think the money raised by those from outside should not be kept in Waterford? That's a ridiculous belief.

No one forced anyone from outside Kerry to do the ROK.

I get what your saying, my point is thou that this is such a big event now and with such large amounts from outside of Kerry attending every year, then it would be nice to see some organisations outside of Kerry getting some benefit out of it. A few years ago a club I was involved with then organised a sportif here in waterford and the money went to the Irish heart foundation which is a national organisation. Sure even last years Sean Kelly cycle picked the Irish Pilgrimage Trust as their chosen charity.

They have included Temple Street Hospital as one of the charities this year.

With it selling out already... It good chance that it got huge support from the East coast participants!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Way too many whingers on this thread, now it's the wrong charities, what next the wrong company making the jersey ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

liam7831 wrote: »
    Way too many whingers on this thread, now it's the wrong charities, what next the wrong company making the jersey ?
    It's an annual tradition! :pac:

There'll be another one along shortly about the food-stops and medals on the WW200.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It's an annual tradition! :pac:

There'll be another one along shortly about the food-stops and medals on the WW200.

I best load up on my own food then for that event.

liam7831 wrote: »

Sounds like your on the ROKCC committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Signed up again just now for another year.
    Hopefully I've learned from last year where I did f**k all training and really suffered on Coomakista and Molls Gap. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I hope the jerseys are nicer than they were last year..
    And why don't they give out medals as they do on the W200?
    And why are there no timing chips? They can do it in on theGran Fondo!
    And why are the roads not fully closed for this event? I'm sure the locals wouldn't mind. It's only one day a year!
    And why do the hoteliers charge so much? Do they not realise this is a Charity Cycle?
    And why can you not register on the day? This would save a lot of people travelling to Killarney the day before the event.
    And why is it held in Kerry? It's such a long way for me to drive. Louth or Meath would be much handier.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I hope the jerseys are nicer than they were last year..
    And why don't they give out medals as they do on the W200?
    And why are there no timing chips? They can do it in on theGran Fondo!
    And why are the roads not fully closed for this event? I'm sure the locals wouldn't mind. It's only one day a year!
    And why do the hoteliers charge so much? Do they not realise this is a Charity Cycle?
    And why can you not register on the day? This would save a lot of people travelling to Killarney the day before the event.
    And why is it held in Kerry? It's such a long way for me to drive. Louth or Meath would be much handier.

you're getting it all out this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

And what is it with those lads in lycra and using fibre glass wheels, that go whoosh whoosh? Do they think, they're in the Beechmount Cup or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

€100!!!!! Thats mad money to be asking people.

Do you realise it is for charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

nostro wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see which is the least popular charity.
    I reckon it'll be whatever one is last in alphabetical order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Temple Street Children Hospital is a beneficiary this year, for anyone "concerned" that they're all Kerry charities!

(also the Derrynane Inshore rescue covers the West Cork side of the Kenmare River if you're desperate)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I think the best way to show your negative views on the ROK is to put a €50 note in an envelope and send it to the organisers and tell them your not taking part as a protest at the way the event is run!! That'll teach them! ;)

I going despite everything. It's a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

yessam wrote: »
    I going despite everything. It's a great weekend.

+1 it's a great weekend and a great event! The atmosphere in Killarney that weekend is great. All the volunteers at the feed stations are always so helpful and the food! It's the only event in Ireland where you'll put on weight if your not careful!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Eamonnator wrote: »
    And what is it with those lads in lycra and using fibre glass wheels, that go whoosh whoosh? Do they think, they're in the Beechmount Cup or what?

Gain 7.6 seconds on molls gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

this forum is getting really stupid.

To anyone reading this and has never done the ROK please do yourself a favour and ignore all these naysayers. I have done 7 in a row and I also do lots of other sportives each year and none compare to this in terms of atmosphere, crowds and the the participation of the locals. If you are just getting into cycling it is a very doable event and a great challenge to set for yourself. None of the other events in Ireland have anything like the finish in Killarney with the street packed with people cheering you on at the end or that the atmosphere on the top of Coomakista and Molls Gap and ice cream taste better than in Seem when thousands of cyclists shut down an entire town for a few hours where the sun seems to always shine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ARNRyan

Folks,

Got up early Saturday morning to register 3 friends and I for the ROKCC, for our 3rd year in a row.

As of last night we now have a friends wedding on the very same day, so in short I have 4 entries looking for a new home.

So if you hear of anyone missing the reg or if you would like to avoid the €3.50 service charge could you get in touch. The entries from what I can read are transferable but not refundable. :(

Please get in touch!!
    Aidan

Advertisement