Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Cycle 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

No sell out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

yessam wrote: »
    No sell out yet.

Dont tempt me.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

Seven of the ten charities still have places so a long way from sold out. And that's with reduction of numbers by a few thousand. Ring of Beara sold out in a day.

A good start having an open registration system but a lot of damage was done to the reputation of this event by behaviour last year.

nostro wrote: »
    Seven of the ten charities still have places so a long way from sold out. And that's with reduction of numbers by a few thousand. Ring of Beara sold out in a day.

A good start having an open registration system but a lot of damage was done to the reputation of this event by behaviour last year.

I think this cycle peaked three years ago and if the organisers don't change there greedy habits the numbers participating will continue to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's 3 and a half months away. It's great that it doesn't sell out instantly, lets more people sign up closer to the date. I hate having to decide my whole summer signing up for races/sportives in Feburary every year.

Never understood why people saw things that didn't sell out as being failures.

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's 3 and a half months away. It's great that it doesn't sell out instantly, lets more people sign up closer to the date. I hate having to decide my whole summer signing up for races/sportives in Feburary every year.

Never understood why people saw things that didn't sell out as being failures.

I don't think it's a failure, but it has peaked and the intrest is falling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

It's Apples and Pears!!! Beara limited to 3,500 advance sales... ROK looking fir 10,000.

Temple street 1,000 and Downs 1,000 sold out in day one.....

Not bad at €100 a pop!! Would Beara sell out at €100??

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Did it for the first time in 2015, skipped it last year, entered this year. Great day out, but it gets a bit crowded in parts and you have to be on your guard, not just for the novices, but for the impatient 'racers' who zoom and even bump past you without warning. Got bumped myself near Cahirciveen by someone who almost collided head-on with an oncoming car, even though I was going along at a good pace myself. Just about stayed on.
    It's well organised with plenty of water stops, but not many toilet stops, especially for the ladies, although there are plenty of cafes or even bushy laneways for the desperate.
    The entrance fee of €103 will put many off, but it is for charity after all, and should keep away the riff-raff.
    Don't expect a Ring Of Beara style medal - all I got was a certificate-like sheet of paper with Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2015 printed across the top - not even my name on it!
    There's a great buzz in Killarney at the finish, but I think that's due to the flies.....

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

I was just checking online to see if was reading right but it is €100 then.

Smile111 wrote: »
    I was just checking online to see if was reading right but it is €100 then.

No. €103.50. Better book quick before it fills up.

• Advertisement

Still plenty of places left by the look of it - seven of the ten charities still available for registrations - so might not be a sell-out.
    When I did it two years ago it sold out within three hours, and that was for 11,000 entries. There's only 10,000 this year. It was €85 entry fee then, so maybe the extra €18.50 is putting people off.
    Anyone know who exactly gets the €103.50? Surely the charities don't get it all? I presume the charities get all of whatever they raise from sponsorship cards but do they get any percentage of the entry fees?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

a lot blaming the prices. i'm sure it's a major factor, but i think there is more at play, the numbers taking up cycling has slowed drastically, a lot of people have done several ROK's and it's jsut not the same once you've done a few, it loses a lot of the appeal. people have moved on to other events, and you don't have the same numbers of new cyclists coming through to replace them.

This'll be my second and probably last. I think the novelty is wearing off, and I'll probably try other events instead for variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Count Down wrote: »
    The entrance fee of €103 will put many off, but it is for charity after all, and should keep away the riff-raff.

WOW !!! :eek:

I never thought those that were of the opinion that €100 to cycle on public roads was vastly overpriced were 'riff-raff' !!!!! :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Still plenty of places left by the look of it - seven of the ten charities still available for registrations - so might not be a sell-out.
    When I did it two years ago it sold out within three hours, and that was for 11,000 entries. There's only 10,000 this year. It was €85 entry fee then, so maybe the extra €18.50 is putting people off.
    Anyone know who exactly gets the €103.50? Surely the charities don't get it all? I presume the charities get all of whatever they raise from sponsorship cards but do they get any percentage of the entry fees?

I think, I read somewhere, that ALL of the money collected this year from sponsorship and entry fees would go the selected charities and that corporate donations would cover the event expenses.

When I participated in 2015 I was appalled by the obvious lack of breeding in many of the participants.
    To my horror, I was engaged in conversation with a group for several minutes before I discovered that they had been educated in a non-fee paying school!
    They were so common.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

When I participated in 2015 I was appalled by the obvious lack of breeding in many of the participants.
    To my horror, I was engaged in conversation with a group for several minutes before I discovered that they had been educated in a non-fee paying school!
    They were so common.....

Obvious attempt to disguise your stupidity in the previous post...
    Maybe go back to playing polo .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They were so common.....

Quit the trolling there.

Thanks

Still plenty of places left by the look of it -

When I did it two years ago it sold out within three hours, and that was for 11,000 entries.
    mossym wrote: »
    a lot blaming the prices........ but i think there is more at play

Don't think that it is the price at all. There were a lot of very angry cyclists last year as a result of the greed and desire to exploit participants that was displayed. Many swore that they would never do it a again as a result of what took place.

The cute kerry hoor shenanigans of the committee last year have proved to far more damaging than anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

nostro wrote: »
    Don't think that it is the price at all. There were a lot of very angry cyclists last year as a result of the greed and desire to exploit participants that was displayed. Many swore that they would never do it a again as a result of what took place.

The cute kerry hoor shenanigans of the committee last year have proved to far more damaging than anticipated.
    What happened last year? The raffle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

I reckon interest in the ROK peaked 2/3 years ago and they lost a lot of cyclists interest with price hikes and farcical registration the last few years. Its appeal is more do it once and thats it for a lot of people I come across. They've also been lucky with the weather for a good 4/5 years or so, guys who've done it in the poor weather said it's a hellish day, I was lucky. I appreciate the organisers trying to do their best but it's a fine line between laying on the 'all for charity' schtk and making cyclists feel they are being squeezed for as much as they'll give. I'd like to do it again, it's a unique day, but not the way it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Still places available ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I reckon interest in the ROK peaked 2/3 years ago and they lost a lot of cyclists interest with price hikes and farcical registration the last few years. Its appeal is more do it once and thats it for a lot of people I come across.
    I'd never say never, but I'm not planning on being back for the ROK after the registration last year. To do it that way in the first place was pretty farcical, but to then allow transfers of those successful rather than keep it tied to the entry meant basically no second round. They tried to milk the people desperate to do it, by effectively allowing multiple entries to the ballot (which is how I ended up getting in).

Then all the back slapping for all the money "The committee" had raised. Feck off....

At the same time that they were telling entrants to the lottery that there were no places left after first extending the entry deadline and that their entry fee was non refundable they were taking out full page newspaper ads and sending spam e-mails to try to flog "premium" places at €200 each.

They saw the booming popularity of the event as an opportunity to exploit cyclists for every cent they could. With "Its for charity" used to justify every nasty scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Said I wasn't going to do it. But signed up there. Going to head down and stay in Killarney Friday night. Start early. Stop along the way and watch the lions test then continue along.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 guitargirl_91

Hi guys, I signed up for the cycle in March but had a bad fall a few weeks ago so it looks like I won't be able to do the cycle now. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Can I get someone else to take my place instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Hi guys, I signed up for the cycle in March but had a bad fall a few weeks ago so it looks like I won't be able to do the cycle now. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Can I get someone else to take my place instead?

You can transfer your entry to someone else quite easily on the entry page, just need their e-mail address

I guess you've got to find someone now and get them to give you the entry fee but shouldn't be too hard to find. Someone on here may hit you up hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 27 guitargirl_91

You can transfer your entry to someone else quite easily on the entry page, just need their e-mail address

I guess you've got to find someone now and get them to give you the entry fee but shouldn't be too hard to find. Someone on here may hit you up hopefully

Ah, that's good to know it can be done, thanks :) Hopefully I can find someone to take my place. It seems like a total waste otherwise! Thanks again for your reply.

Just took delivery of the official ROK jersey. Last time I got one it was a bit tight even though it was a large. This time I went for XL and it's a perfect fit even though I normally take a large. I'm 6 foot, 40 inch chest, 34 waist, medium build really, so I'd advise anyone thinking of buying one to go up a size. They do warn you that the jersey is a tight fit, in fairness.
    What about ladies' sizes? The jersey is supposed to be unisex, but I can foresee all sorts of unforeseen problems for female riders, unless you're fairly skinny and tall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ARNRyan

Hi folks,

Still trying to offload my ticket to ring of kerry. Willing to sell it to someone for €90 if anyone is interested give me a shout.

Advertisement