Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Cycle 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Spaces still available, a few years ago there wasn't a spot to be had. The RoK thread almost reached 100 pages in here. It's fallen a long way, no buzz about it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Spaces still available, a few years ago there wasn't a spot to be had. The RoK thread almost reached 100 pages in here. It's fallen a long way, no buzz about it this year.
    It's no harm really. It got way too big a few years back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the other ironic bit, last few years there was lots of posters with 1 to 2 posts total begging for entries in every ROK thread, and they'd disappear as soon as it was done. now they're on looking to flog entries.

tables turned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

mossym wrote: »
    the other ironic bit, last few years there was lots of posters with 1 to 2 posts total begging for entries in every ROK thread, and they'd disappear as soon as it was done. now they're on looking to flog entries.

tables turned

Where's the irony there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

What's to stop me doing the rok without registering? I mean I'm sure these are public roads. Perhaps giving a personal donation to a favored charity. Bringing my own sandwiches and a gallon bottle of diluted orange etc. you get my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

lalababa wrote: »
    What's to stop me doing the rok without registering? I mean I'm sure these are public roads. Perhaps giving a personal donation to a favored charity. Bringing my own sandwiches and a gallon bottle of diluted orange etc. you get my point.
    Nothing, any other day of the year, but they do have some stretches of the roads that are closed and have check points.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Nothing, any other day of the year, but they do have some stretches of the roads that are closed and have check points.

On the day I'm talking about. Surely tis not legal to close a road. Isn't the rok on all primary routes. What do cars do if the road is closed.

On the day I'm talking about. Surely tis not legal to close a road. Isn't the rok on all primary routes. What do cars do if the road is closed.
    The whole route isn't closed, but certain sections are and it is policed. Cars diverted. Lots of events get the required permissions for closed roads - ROK not unique in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

AFAIK the road is only closed in one direction. Example: last year no traffic was allowed up to Ladies view/molls gap from Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

For the last two years (that I have participated), the ascent and descent of Molls Gap is entirely closed to vehicles in both directions from just outside the final food stop on Kenmare side to Torc waterfall on the Killarney side. The descent is beautiful and a massive pleasure to do with the surety there are no vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

heraldo wrote: »
    For the last two years (that I have participated), the ascent and descent of Molls Gap is entirely closed to vehicles in both directions from just outside the final food stop on Kenmare side to Torc waterfall on the Killarney side. The descent is beautiful and a massive pleasure to do with the surety there are no vehicles.

Just BE CAREFUL THOUGH.....as I met an Ambulance come against me on the descent one year to get to a bad accident. Also - rescue vans/repair motorbikes are going up and down each side of Molls. So....dont expect that there are no vehicles on these closed roads!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The whole route isn't closed, but certain sections are and it is policed. Cars diverted. Lots of events get the required permissions for closed roads - ROK not unique in that respect.

Disgraceful, so if I want to cycle down the road on a particular day I have to pay 100. I suggest we get together and host a demonstration cycle going the opposite way, err ah for charitie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Hotels prob small bit easier to get this yr with Munster Final initially scheduled for Cork

ARNRyan wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Still trying to offload my ticket to ring of kerry. Willing to sell it to someone for €90 if anyone is interested give me a shout.

Sent you a DM earlier today if this is still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Can anyone recommend a pub in Cahirciveen that may be showing the Lion's 2nd test against NZ (rugby :P )

Thinking of getting on the road early, and stopping for some of the match, then continue on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm looking to offload an entry too this too for any reasonable offer. We'll start the bidding at €75

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭TigerTim

liam7831 wrote: »
    Hotels prob small bit easier to get this yr with Munster Final initially scheduled for Cork

Changed to Killarney now. Parc Ui Caoimh not ready.

T,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I'm looking to offload an entry too this too for any reasonable offer. We'll start the bidding at €75

god times have changed, your hand would have been snapped off you by 10:30 this morning.

Times most definitely have changed. I've wondered to myself why?
    Is it he additional sportives available at half the price? Perhaps there is ROK fatigue? People wanting newer challenges & different scenery? People peeved off with the lottery system employed last year? The cost increasing from €85 to €100+ breaching that psychological threshold of over one hundred euro?

I think ROK is a well run event and a great buzz but this year should be a reality check for organisers. The golden cow is starting to run dry.
    Personally my experience is that friends who have participated in the past won't breach the €100 threshold and I also know of locals who have turned their back following the lottery policy last year.
    I genuinely love this sportif and hope organisers find a happy balance going forward.

heraldo wrote: »
    Times most definitely have changed. I've wondered to myself why?
    Lottery was a big one for me - well actually not the fact it was a lottery but then to allow transfers straight away rather than a second round (and then all the back slapping on the money the committee raised). The entry process probably coloured my view, but I didn't find it that great an experience on the day either tbh. Highlight was definitely the closed roads descent of Molls Gap.

I actually can't remember, but wasn't it 85 on top of the €10 lottery entry last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Collected my tag in Limerick this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Some difference from last year. Not much chatter on Boards about the "Ring". Last years lotto really fecked it up. Still possible to get an entry.
    Collected my bike tag . Lets hope for a dry day.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Forecast is okay, dry morning, chance of rain in the mid afternoon, we'll be on the road by 6 so should be okay. Stay safe everyone, it can get fairly crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

It appears that all the charities have vacant places.
    Registration is still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

From: http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/the-cycle/important-information/#1497622298052-6df60eaf-3fdb

"Medals will be given to everyone once they dismount after the finish line."

Is this new? Have they handed out medals before?

DeepBlue wrote: »
    From: http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/the-cycle/important-information/#1497622298052-6df60eaf-3fdb

"Medals will be given to everyone once they dismount after the finish line."

Is this new? Have they handed out medals before?

First year for the medal,

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Just got an entry there with a start time of 7. Looking forward to it, not a novice on the bike and plan to take it handy and enjoy the day.

Suppose I'd want to be in Killarney by about 5am would I to get parked signed in etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Just got an entry there with a start time of 7. Looking forward to it, not a novice on the bike and plan to take it handy and enjoy the day.

Suppose I'd want to be in Killarney by about 5am would I to get parked signed in etc?

if youre coming from Cork side, car park by Tescos, 5 min cycle down to sign in, couple of minutes there, and you're off. you'll be bored out of your box killing two hours in Killarney!

enjoy the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

What happens if you want to set off before your 7am start time??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What happens if you want to set off before your 7am start time??

The gardai and the Army will stop you!*

*This statement may not be true

Advertisement