Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Cycle 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

What happens if you want to set off before your 7am start time??

Nowt. Go whenever suits you best. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

Point your bike Northwards.  Throw your leg over, and peddle at whatever rate suits you.  No problemo.....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I've an entry I want to off load. Any reasonable offer considered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

trad wrote: »
    I've an entry I want to off load. Any reasonable offer considered

by jasis, this is a first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

by jasis, this is a first.

It was meant to be my first but I fecked up my knee 2 weeks ago and couldn't train (my excuse)

• Advertisement

trad wrote: »
    It was meant to be my first but I fecked up my knee 2 weeks ago and couldn't train (my excuse)

sorry for your troubles chief, and I hope you shift your ticket.

two years ago, your ticket would have been taken off you within 3minutes of posting that.
    There'll be a smidgen of schadenfreude (not directed at you) derived from the fact the committee lost the run of themselves with their price gouging over the past two years, with a lot of cyclist staying away this year, with the result a lot of tickets are unsold.
    the charities are the ones losing out unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fitz213

I have two passes of friends that can't make it. Available also at reasonable offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They don't care. I think the start times are to try and prevent clusters by encouraging people to go at a set time. But most people are going out in groups anyway and just go when the group is going.
    Nobody is standing at the start checking times.

Weather looking good for an early start, dry. Maybe a bit cool, but can't have it all. Some rain forecast in the afternoon but if you set out early you'll probably missing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Wow... that came around fast!!!! Hype not the same as previous years...

Am gonna skip the Caherciveen school stop this year.... takes an hour out of the cycle. Anyone use the Centra(??) shop on the left??? Seems popular so might pop in there and buy a Tuna Roll instead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Masala wrote: »
    Wow... that came around fast!!!! Hype not the same as previous years...

Am gonna skip the Caherciveen school stop this year.... takes an hour out of the cycle. Anyone use the Centra(??) shop on the left??? Seems popular so might pop in there and buy a Tuna Roll instead.

have used the big shop on the right just before the official stop, is that the one you mean? much better idea, you'll be in and out much faster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Dont forget your Hi-Viz! :mad: ( geez! its July!)

The Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle is doing its upmost to ensure that the cycle is a fun and safe day for everybody involved. Along with An Garda Siochana we would like to issue the following safety message
    • Please adhere to all traffic regulations and signage.
    • Please fully comply with all directions of Gardaí and Marshalls who have your safety in mind.
    • Remember you are sharing the road with HGV’s, Buses and Cars. Secure your helmet and be seen, wear Hi Vis clothing
    • Steer clear of left turning HGV’s. Let them turn before you move ahead.
    • To prevent exhaustion, dehydration and loss of concentration, please take sufficient breaks and drink sufficient amount of fluid.
    • Store all emergency numbers in your mobile phone.
    • If commencing cycle event in darkness you MUST have lights on your bike. Consider using your lights all day to increase your visibility to other road users.
    • Monitor your speed, especially on the descent.
    • This is not a race, please take your time and enjoy the day return home safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Dont forget your Hi-Viz! :mad: ( geez! its July!)

The Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle is doing its upmost to ensure that the cycle is a fun and safe day for everybody involved. Along with An Garda Siochana we would like to issue the following safety message
    • Please adhere to all traffic regulations and signage.
    • Please fully comply with all directions of Gardaí and Marshalls who have your safety in mind.
    • Remember you are sharing the road with HGV’s, Buses and Cars. Secure your helmet and be seen, wear Hi Vis clothing
    • Steer clear of left turning HGV’s. Let them turn before you move ahead.
    • To prevent exhaustion, dehydration and loss of concentration, please take sufficient breaks and drink sufficient amount of fluid.
    • Store all emergency numbers in your mobile phone.
    If commencing cycle event in darkness you MUST have lights on your bike. Consider using your lights all day to increase your visibility to other road users.
    • Monitor your speed, especially on the descent.
    • This is not a race, please take your time and enjoy the day return home safely.

Its bright from... 4.30/5am ....
    So if there is any one starting earlier, in the dark like ....:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Would they have to bring a pump ?? Its not mentioned there, and maybe there are still people that wouldnt know the obvious .......... :rolleyes:

*ALL the above post was ultra sarcastic .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

greenspurs wrote: »
    Its bright from... 4.30/5am ....
    So if there is any one starting earlier, in the dark like ....:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Would they have to bring a pump ?? Its not mentioned there, and maybe there are still people that wouldnt know the obvious .......... :rolleyes:

*ALL the above post was ultra sarcastic .....

Yeah, no mention of bringing a spare inner tube, pump and maybe a multitool. No advise regarding checking you bike before the event (check tyres, brake pads, etc.) I suppose it doesn't matter as long as your dressed like a lollipop! :mad:

Edit: I stand corrected...just found this on their website:

"Make sure that your bike is in PERFECT working order – road bikes are preferable, but mountain and hybrid touring bikes are acceptable.
    Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle Bike Tag is affixed, with the cable ties provided, to the front of your bike
    Helmet – the wearing of hard shell helmets conforming to CE standard EN1078 is mandatory and must be worn at all times when cycling
    Appropriate cycle clothing and footwear
    Water bottle(s)
    Basic bike repair kit that includes: 3 inner tubes; puncture repair kit; tyre levers; multi-tool with chain splitter
    Mobile phone"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Just landed in Killarney. I hope someone turns off the wind. It's blowing a gale down here. From the North as well, that'll make the homeward journey interesting.

Just landed in Killarney. I hope someone turns off the wind. It's blowing a gale down here. From the North as well, that'll make the homeward journey interesting.

According to YR.no, you're experiencing a "fresh breeze" from the NW. :)

Looks to die down over coming hours, be grand for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Starting with a South South Westerly in the morning and then westerlies for the rest of the day so headwinds to Cahersiveen and then it'll be mostly be tail to rear cross winds for the rest. Actually ideal wind directions tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Carabay

Looking forward to it

Carabay wrote: »
    Looking forward to it

Enjoy

Kinda wish I was doing it now, but didn't bother going about a ticket after the previous years shenanigans

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Armed gardai will be there, so be warned... will need bike tags,cycle no more than 2 abreast, no drinking and no tri bars!
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/visible-armed-garda-presence-public-events-county-weekend/
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    The gardai and the Army will stop you!*

*This statement may not be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

rash wrote: »
    Armed gardai will be there, so be warned... will need bike tags,cycle no more than 2 abreast, no drinking and no tri bars!
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/visible-armed-garda-presence-public-events-county-weekend/
    At the tag checkpoint in Fossa I've seen one or two without tags make a break for it and get through despite the best efforts of marshals to stop them.

Obviously the ROK committe have a new "get tough" policy this year. :eek: :eek:

6t671hb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭EletricMan

Anyone get the bibs when they collected the tags?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I live in Kerry and nearly all the old regular s have turned there back on ROK .

I was going to give it a miss this year myself but at the last min I got offered a marshal entry for 50 . Couldn't refuse that

I saw on ROK Facebook a few weeks back a guy giving out about price and they offered him a marshal entry . He still declined . Some people ay .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Best of luck to those partaking today. A safe and enjoyable journey to you all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

First time doing it today on 3 days notice with 5hrs sleep last night. Should have been 4 but slept in, had no breakfast in me before I started, threw a banana into me at the start and got to first stop no bother.

Total cycled this year before today about 150km.
    Got around in 7hrs, delighted with that. Took it handy where I could and span up the hills.
    IMO well worth the entry fee, set up is excellent and the food at stops were brilliant.

I'll be back next year without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

First time doing the ROK today, really enjoyed it.

I'm much more used to triathlons which is probably why 100e seems like ok value to me (much better value than your typical Olympic triathlon which just gets more and more expensive each year).

I really can't believe there are not more accidents on the course, it's a complee free for all. Triathlons go way OTT with safety briefings, rules and disqualifications etc but it's basically like mario kart in the ROK, great craic but a recipe for disaster I would have assumed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

First time doing the ROK today, really enjoyed it.

I'm much more used to triathlons which is probably why 100e seems like ok value to me (much better value than your typical Olympic triathlon which just gets more and more expensive each year).

I really can't believe there are not more accidents on the course, it's a complee free for all. Triathlons go way OTT with safety briefings, rules and disqualifications etc but it's basically like mario kart in the ROK, great craic but a recipe for disaster I would have assumed

I didn't do the ROK this year but your comments on safety are well founded. In past years the free for all and lack of cycling etiquette was indeed hazardous and on one previous year, someone was being scraped up off the road every 5km with dozens of near misses in between. The sheer weight of numbers and the ensuing congestion was the real problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The weather was brilliant today................I never over-heated once. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

....someone was being scraped up off the road every 5km with dozens of near misses in between .../QUOTE]

That's about 32 scrapings and over 700 near misses you witnessed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I didn't do the ROK this year but your comments on safety are well founded. In past years the free for all and lack of cycling etiquette was indeed hazardous and on one previous year, someone was being scraped up off the road every 5km with dozens of near misses in between. The sheer weight of numbers and the ensuing congestion was the real problem though.

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Think the decent from ladies view was closed for 30 minutes because of a crash, hope those involved are OK.

Advertisement