Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Cycle 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

I live in Kerry and nearly all the old regular s have turned there back on ROK .

I was going to give it a miss this year myself but at the last min I got offered a marshal entry for 50 . Couldn't refuse that

I saw on ROK Facebook a few weeks back a guy giving out about price and they offered him a marshal entry . He still declined . Some people ay .

Agree with what you said about the 'old regulars' IMO the organisers made a mistake a few years ago by going north of 70 euro. They lost a lot of goodwill. When I heard a few days ago that there were still places I was tempted to head off last minute, but 100 plus! At least from now on people can wait till the last few days and check for weather before commiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There was quite a bit of carnage yesterday, very tough conditions in parts. My brother hit the deck after slipping on one of the newly painted lines.

The ambulances were back and forward all day, very busy. I expect more than a few people took tumbles descending Coomakista in the thick fog.

Saw a cube abandoned about 5km before Kenmare (I think) with the fork snapped in half. That must have been serious.

Ambulance guys were saying there had been at least 4 serious spills coming down Molls Gap, that's why they neutralised it.

I'm not sure if that's just the numbers game or if there's a larger issue that the organisers need to sort out. Inexperience is definitely a problem, lots of cyclists who either don't go out on the bike much or who haven't done an event like that before and so have no idea how to ride in large crowds.

Enjoyable enough as usual, pissed rain basically all the way to Caherciveen for us, and really only became a warmer day around Kenmare. So a little miserable that way, but I've been out in worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Agree with what you said about the 'old regulars' IMO the organisers made a mistake a few years ago by going north of 70 euro. They lost a lot of goodwill. When I heard a few days ago that there were still places I was tempted to head off last minute, but 100 plus! At least from now on people can wait till the last few days and check for weather before commiting.

There was definitely ( for the better) a lack of professional clubs bombing along the outside this year....I didn't see one group all day.

So... to me that's a positive of the €100 as it made them stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

seamus wrote: »
    There was quite a bit of carnage yesterday, very tough conditions in parts. My brother hit the deck after slipping on one of the newly painted lines.

The ambulances were back and forward all day, very busy. I expect more than a few people took tumbles descending Coomakista in the thick fog.

Saw a cube abandoned about 5km before Kenmare (I think) with the fork snapped in half. That must have been serious.

Ambulance guys were saying there had been at least 4 serious spills coming down Molls Gap, that's why they neutralised it.

I'm not sure if that's just the numbers game or if there's a larger issue that the organisers need to sort out. Inexperience is definitely a problem, lots of cyclists who either don't go out on the bike much or who haven't done an event like that before and so have no idea how to ride in large crowds.

Enjoyable enough as usual, pissed rain basically all the way to Caherciveen for us, and really only became a warmer day around Kenmare. So a little miserable that way, but I've been out in worse!

The organisers are not responsible for the cycling ability of the participants. It's a charity cycle, which means you get all sorts taking part. Sounds like riders inexperience combined with poor weather (visibility and wet roads) resulted in more incidents.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    The organisers are not responsible for the cycling ability of the participants. It's a charity cycle, which means you get all sorts taking part. Sounds like riders inexperience combined with poor weather (visibility and wet roads) resulted in more incidents.
    I agree. But for the sake of the volunteers and the reputation of the event there are some small steps they can take to try and reduce incidents without assuming responsibility.

A man was killed out training for it in 2015. A guy died on the event last year. A girl was killed out training for it this year. Sources tell me the former Taoiseach got a belt of a car yesterday.
    There is an increasing desire in some parts of the media to associate cycling with danger and this kind of stuff is their fodder. Danger in the ROK is most likely a pure numbers game - people regularly die doing marathons -but the more incidents, the more it becomes known as a dangerous event, especially being one of the most high-profile ones.

The marshalls and volunteers do a great job but you can't police (and shouldn't try to) people while they're moving. However you can mitigate their behaviour with short safety briefings and phased start times, for example. If you change the behaviour of 1% of riders, you reduce your incidents by at least that amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Radio Kerry reported that one person from the event received hospital treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Did the ring for the first time yesterday. Despite the poor weather it was one of the most enjoyable sportives I have done. With people spread out all over the road you can you can pick up and drop groups as you go along. The climbs were handy.

Got delayed in the decent from Molls gap because of that accident. Hopefully they were ok. The marshals were excellent. We were stopped for over 40min and got a bit cold, which made the last 10k a bit tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Did it for the first time yesterday as well and loved every minute (well perhaps not the ascent into fog in the pissing rain). Marshals, volunteers, medical staff and locals were sooo friendly and helpful, you just couldn't help but feel buzzed about the event.

If I had one criticism it would be that the road closures for the first 70-80 km didn't seem to be as stated on the website and with a number of buses, lorries and even a bin truck trying to overtake large groups of cyclist, there was potential for serious carnage. That said, will definitely be doing it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

So another RoK done and dusted, despte the slight drop in numbers there's still a buzz and feel good factor associated with the event.
    Organisation was top notch as usual, it seems to run all so smoothly but a serious amount of work and planning goes on behind the scenes.The chap directing the cyclists at the cahersiveen foodstop is a character, i dunno where they got him, every year he has us chuckling.:D.
    The weather was what it was, a niusance. The descent of Coomakista was particularly scarey. I heard of six injuries today from a steward, hope they're all okay, blackwater bridge and molls gap looked particularly nasty.
    As usual a smashing post cycle party back in Killarney, everyone swapping stories and making arrangements for next year!! The medal is a nice touch, better than the certs that have become a bit battered.
    So thanks to everyone involved in organising the cycle, all of those who give their time to stage the event, it doesn't go unnoticed and your efforts are greatly appreciated. Til Next year.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Couldn't fault the organising, very well put on as usual. Conditions were fine, a lot of people petrified of the fog on Coomakista, you'd swear they'd never seen fog before.
    A hell of a lot of stupidity/blissful ignorance on the road. Stupidest thing I saw all day was 3 "Cycle Marshalls" ride head on towards an oncoming car waving at it to move over or stop. Zero need for them to be on the wrong side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭EletricMan

A guy died on the event last year.

Where did you get that info? I done it last year and heard nothing like this reported?

Done it again this year, witnessed a crash while coming down Coomakista, was a car who had to slam on the breaks due to another cyclist coming off a bike while going too fast passed him, a poor cyclist behind the car couldn't stop in time when the car suddenly stopped and went straight into the back of the car. Hope the cyclists involved are OK. Also saw a cyclist been attended to by ambulances on the way into Kenmare, hope all is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

A guy died on the event last year.

Sorry but i have to call bull**** on that one.

Also i don't see what relevance people dying training for an event has on the actual event itself... people die training for events across a variety of sports all the time...whats your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

Enjoyable enough day out. Lack of groups of shouty club cyclists a definite plus. Cars that felt the need to drive through the cycle annoying. but feel good vibe about the day. I'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Masala wrote: »
    There was definitely ( for the better) a lack of professional clubs bombing along the outside this year....I didn't see one group all day.

So... to me that's a positive of the €100 as it made them stay at home.
    nostro wrote: »
    Enjoyable enough day out. Lack of groups of shouty club cyclists a definite plus. Cars that felt the need to drive through the cycle annoying. but feel good vibe about the day. I'll be back.

If clubs are being shouty, then call them out on it by emailing their club secretary. No excuse for being assholes, whether in a club or not.

In relation to the lack of clubs, perhaps the ROK committee factored that in with the increased fee this year and felt that fewer numbers but higher entry fee would be a better route to go. However, it's short-sighted from the perspective of money also coming into their local economy with hotels/B&Bs having fewer people staying, along with all the food & drink that would've been purchased too. I'll be interested to see how they approach it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

Well,
    That was my 7th year doing the ROK and these were my observations:
    1. Number were well down from any other year -30% at a guess
    2. Were the roads closed this year?? Loads of traffic all the way to Kenmare
    3. Marshals and others were cycling in the middle of the road rather than keeping left for other to safely pass
    4. Seemed to have far more woman cycling this year too
    5. Didn't have the same buzz and atmosphere as other years

Still enjoyed the ride, couldn't help thinking that they were advised not to close the roads due to fewer people cycling this year..?

Well,

I've done it a few times myself but that doesn't surprise me.

ROK is an expensive product ( when you factor accommodation, travel...etc.) and they are now experiencing competition from lower cost alternative sportifs offering just as good a product.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Have to say by far was that my best experience of ROK. A few of us from OldVelos (and others too) rode it on High Nellies and it was the best craic ever. Great support and company from other cyclists. Definitely the way to ride it for the next time. While cost does come up for question I think it's a really nice touch the way the charities have posters of thanks and encouragement around the route. The volunteers and marshals do a great job, roads in parts are fantastic, in others boneshaking. Very best wishes to anyone who took a spill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Well,
    3. Marshals and others were cycling in the middle of the road rather than keeping left for other to safely pass

Still enjoyed the ride, couldn't help thinking that they were advised not to close the roads due to fewer people cycling this year..?

Just on #2..the only roads tgat are closed are

1. fossa to Killorglin bridge
    2. Molls Gap.... from either side

So Killorglin to Kenmare is open road as far as I am aware

You should still be careful as Ambulances and support vehicles could come up behind you. One in case of Molls.. could come up from Torc. That is why I cringe when I see the speed some cyclists do on the decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

A few of us from OldVelos (and others too) rode it on High Nellies and it was the best craic ever.

How in the name of god did ye get up Molls on a high Nellie?

jon1981 wrote: »
    Sorry but i have to call bull**** on that one.
    Yeah, maybe. That was from idle chatter after the event, but it rang a bell with me. I can't find any reference to it though, so probably mixing it up with something else.
    Also i don't see what relevance people dying training for an event has on the actual event itself... people die training for events across a variety of sports all the time...whats your point?
    As I've said, the point is that some in the media are on a "cycling is dangerous" buzz at the moment, and any and every opportunity to "prove" it is leaped on. Yes, other sports are dangerous, but when is the last time you've heard a radio debate about how dangerous it is to go out running?

Was out with a very easy-going crew this year, like last year. We set out @ 6:30ish and don't arrive back till 5:30ish. It's a bit of craic, but a long day in the saddle, especially when it's wet. I might push on at my own pace next year and then use the time saved in the afternoon for a nap :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

first ROK I have missed since 2010 as was at a family wedding on Saturday and looking at photos in Irish Times I am so envious of everyone who got to it. Weather does not look great but still a lot of smiling people in these pictures https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ring-of-kerry-by-bike-1.3140860

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Well,

1. Holy smokes really? The roads felt incredibly congested! This was my first RoK.
    2. I thought they could have done a lot more to indicate where roads were closed and not. A sign even saying "this road is NOT closed to oncoming traffic" would have improved safety considerably. Lots of people in the right-hand lane dodging oncoming traffic.
    3. WTF were the "marshals" doing at all? They were completely useless from what I saw. Passing people on the inside, passing people cycling solo along the centre of the road without asking them to move in. It was shocking!
    4. Always a plus!
    5. I thought there was a great buzz and the craic in the finish area was great! Thank god the weather held out!

Other thoughts
    6. I think some kind of basic cycling rules of the road needs to be incorporated into the registration. A few pictograms that people click through prior to entering their payment details. e.g. "When I'm cycling by myself I cycle on the a. left, b. right etc. etc." or " I pass people on the left/right" or "If I hear "car back" I should move left/right" etc. Sure, this is a fun/charity cycle etc. but it's not the cycle path out in Clontarf. There are 1000s of people out on the road, along with mechanics and ambulances moving back and forth on the course. Plus the odd tourist who really regrets trying to drive the RoK on the day. How people could be so oblivious was really baffling!

7. The "bike lane" 2km from the finish was totally unnecessary and rather dangerous, with pedestrians walking along the side of the road and lots of driveways to watch.

8. Event was generally really well managed with lots of volunteers placed in good locations and giving good, direct instructions to the cyclists. Especially at Cahirciveen and at the top of the first big climb.

9. A friend of mine witnessed one of the first crashes coming down Moll's Gap road. They clipped another wheel coming back left after overtaking right before an oncoming car. What the car was doing I'm not sure but it smacked one of the downed cyclist's wheels that had come off in the crash. This was another example of crowded roads forcing people to move into the right lane to pass. It was a real shame and I'm not sure how this can be avoided apart from 6. above.

10. Killarney is a cracking town. There was an overwhelming feeling of goodwill throughout the entire weekend.

11. I'm getting more people to sign up next year!

Morf3h wrote: »
    1. Holy smokes really? The roads felt incredibly congested! This was my first RoK.
    2. I thought they could have done a lot more to indicate where roads were closed and not. A sign even saying "this road is NOT closed to oncoming traffic" would have improved safety considerably. Lots of people in the right-hand lane dodging oncoming traffic.
    3. WTF were the "marshals" doing at all? They were completely useless from what I saw. Passing people on the inside, passing people cycling solo along the centre of the road without asking them to move in. It was shocking!
    4. Always a plus!
    5. I thought there was a great buzz and the craic in the finish area was great! Thank god the weather held out!

Other thoughts
    6. I think some kind of basic cycling rules of the road needs to be incorporated into the registration. A few pictograms that people click through prior to entering their payment details. e.g. "When I'm cycling by myself I cycle on the a. left, b. right etc. etc." or " I pass people on the left/right" or "If I hear "car back" I should move left/right" etc. Sure, this is a fun/charity cycle etc. but it's not the cycle path out in Clontarf. There are 1000s of people out on the road, along with mechanics and ambulances moving back and forth on the course. Plus the odd tourist who really regrets trying to drive the RoK on the day. How people could be so oblivious was really baffling!

7. The "bike lane" 2km from the finish was totally unnecessary and rather dangerous, with pedestrians walking along the side of the road and lots of driveways to watch.

8. Event was generally really well managed with lots of volunteers placed in good locations and giving good, direct instructions to the cyclists. Especially at Cahirciveen and at the top of the first big climb.

9. A friend of mine witnessed one of the first crashes coming down Moll's Gap road. They clipped another wheel coming back left after overtaking right before an oncoming car. What the car was doing I'm not sure but it smacked one of the downed cyclist's wheels that had come off in the crash. This was another example of crowded roads forcing people to move into the right lane to pass. It was a real shame and I'm not sure how this can be avoided apart from 6. above.

10. Killarney is a cracking town. There was an overwhelming feeling of goodwill throughout the entire weekend.

11. I'm getting more people to sign up next year!

Maybe they should put something like this up on their website?

"The Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle is a leisure cycle event, NOT A RACE. It is CRITICAL that you take your time so that you complete the cycle safely. Do not take any risks that put yourself or fellow cyclists in a potentially dangerous situation. Always show respect for your fellow cyclists and other road users and obey event stewards and officials AT ALL TIMES.

Please note the course is not a fully road closed event. We work closely with An Garda Siochana to provide extensive traffic management along the way, reducing the volume of traffic along the course creating buffers between cyclists and vehicles ensuring that you have a safe an enjoyable ride.

Sweep Vehicles: A number of sweep vehicles will be following the cycle to ensure that any cyclist who has difficulty completing is given assistance.

Mechanical Support: It is highly recommended to have your bike checked by a bicycle mechanic before hopping on your bike to enjoy the 2017 Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle. We strongly recommend that you come prepared, and we advise all participants to carry a pump, puncture repair kit, tyre levers and a couple of spare inner tubes with you. This is crucial to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable day.

Medical Support & First Aid: Our Medical team is supported by Medical Professionals, The Civil Defence, Irish Red Cross and Order of Malta who provide first aid and medical care in both static and mobile units along the route.

First Aiders will be located at every feed station, other static locations and at the Finish.

Please refer to the route map above.

If you wish to retire at any point during the event, please approach an Event Official or one of our medical team. Should participants NOT be allowed to continue for medical reasons or require hospital treatment, Event Control will be notified. If you see another participant who is experiencing difficulty on the route and needs assistance, please report it to the nearest Event Official or one of the medical team, stating their bike tag number if possible.

IMPORTANT: Please give way, stop and pull off the road for any emergency vehicles that require access on the route. If you are at the side of the road and need to stop a motorcycle marshal for any reason, please stand clear of the road facing oncoming participants, and raise your right hand, clearly indicating that you need assistance. When doing this, please make sure your hand is raised in enough time to allow for the motorcycle marshal to see you and stop safely. Whether or not you have a medical condition, if you feel unwell on the event day we strongly recommend that you do not cycle. The organizers reserve the right to prevent participation on the day due to medical grounds. We hope your training has gone well, but would like to remind you that if you have recently had a cold or have been ill it is important to seek medical advice prior to the event. Also, if your training has not gone to plan we ask you to give serious consideration to your ability to undertake the event. Please ensure you add the Event Emergency Numbers (Medical & Mechanical) to your phone.

An Garda Siochana: Gardaí are deployed throughout the event course to assist with road closures, monitoring the event flow and traffic flow, and ensuring the safety of cyclists and the non-event community. Ensure you follow the directions of Gardaí during your cycle.

Stewards: Look out for the friendly and knowledgeable stewards at key junctions and turns who are there to make sure that you are always on target to successfully complete your cycle. Note that the volunteer stewards are not permitted to direct traffic, so take care at intersections and roundabouts.

Cycle Marshals: Throughout the group there will be cycle marshals who will ensure rules of the road are adhered to. Please obey any instructions given by the Cycle Marshals. They will have Red coloured bike tags and an Official Cycle Marshal Jersey.

The following rules apply to ALL cyclists at ALL times to ensure the safety of ALL road users throughout the event:-

Obey all traffic signals and signs at all times.
    Follow the directions of An Garda SIochana and Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle Stewards at all times.
    Activate hand and voice signals when changing your direction
    Do not ride more than two abreast unless overtaking other riders.
    Keep left unless overtaking at all times.
    NO overtaking on descending corners.
    On all downhill sections of the course, reduce your speed and take your time.
    Overtaking is only permitted on the right hand side of the cyclist being passed. DON’T PASS ON THE INSIDE.
    Please be mindful and considerate of each other
    THINK SAFTEY AT ALL TIMES AND REMEMBER THE ROAD IS NOT CLOSED.
    Please adopt safe, courteous cycling at all times by following these basic principles:

Do:

Enjoy the cycle
    Challenge yourself
    All rules of the road apply and must be adhered to
    Wear your helmet
    Remember to cycle on the left at all times
    Be aware of weather conditions and dress appropriately
    Walk on the left in single file if you have dismounted
    Follow the directions of ROKCC stewards, Marshalls, and Gardai, and follow the route as marked.
    If you hear a siren or see blue lights, immediately cycle single file as close to the left verge as is safe to do so • Obey the Cycle Marshals – If they give you an instruction then follow it. It will be for your own safety. Marshals will take note of participants who ignore these instructions. • Follow signage and directions. Only travel in the direction of the Event – Never go against the flow. It is extremely dangerous to other cyclists. For example, if a friend has a mechanical problem, wait at the side of the road and have them walk to you if they need your assistance.
    Call ‘passing’ when you are overtaking a fellow cyclist
    Signal and call when you are stopping and move to the left hand side of the road
    Eat and drink regularly – your body needs constant fuel
    Take your space on the road keeping clear of the edge
    Be considerate of local residents –

Don’t

Drop litter – respect your surroundings
    Behave in a manner that may offend or endanger others
    Impede traffic flow
    Ride in large groups in the middle of the road
    Cycle more than two abreast
    Pass on the left of a cyclist
    Respect your fellow cyclists: Be aware that the ability and bike handling skills of those taking part will vary. If you are a slower cyclist and you find yourself being passed, then please try to stick to the left hand side and allow faster cyclists to pass on the right. Conversely, if you find yourself behind a slower cyclist, a polite “Left/Right/Inside” should do the trick. Aggression and rude behavior will not be tolerated."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Does calling "coming through right/ left" and "car up/ down" not make you a "shouty racing cyclist"?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Have to say by far was that my best experience of ROK. A few of us from OldVelos (and others too) rode it on High Nellies and it was the best craic ever. Great support and company from other cyclists. Definitely the way to ride it for the next time. While cost does come up for question I think it's a really nice touch the way the charities have posters of thanks and encouragement around the route. The volunteers and marshals do a great job, roads in parts are fantastic, in others boneshaking. Very best wishes to anyone who took a spill.

At last somebody mentions the charities - the whole purpose of the RoK

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Maybe they should put something like this up on their website?

I meant to reference this but who read it? Certainly not the majority of people I saw out riding on Saturday.
    Macy0161 wrote:
    Does calling "coming through right/ left" and "car up/ down" not make you a "shouty racing cyclist"?

Not really, depends how you come across. If you're doing 20kph on the right hand side of the left lane by yourself, and I'm going 25kph. I will approach from behind and call "on your right", wait for you to move over and then say thanks. Most people I passed didn't have any problems from what I can tell. It's better than passing on the inside or moving into the other lane with oncoming traffic.

Morf3h wrote: »
    I meant to reference this but who read it? Certainly not the majority of people I saw out riding on Saturday.

That's my point! What more should the organisers do? This event (and all cycling events) are held on public roads. Its up to each individual to act responsibly and cycle in accordance with the ROTR.

Any event that has 10,000 cyclists is going to have a few incidents. Once you add in a bit of rain and a few descents, its not surprising that there were a few crashes.

I'd call a handful of accidents among 10,000 cyclists across 180km in those conditions a success from an organisers point of view ...

I might push on at my own pace next year and then use the time saved in the afternoon for a nap :)

Or to get a few more pints in ;)

• Advertisement

That's my point! What more should the organisers do? This event (and all cycling events) are held on public roads. Its up to each individual to act responsibly and cycle in accordance with the ROTR.

Any event that has 10,000 cyclists is going to have a few incidents. Once you add in a bit of rain and a few descents, its not surprising that there were a few crashes.
    Granted, the organisers might say that this year was no different from the last, so maybe I'm way overthinking this.

But maybe something like phased starts would make a difference. So, say at 5:30 you put up a barrier, and people queue up in a pen. After five minutes, or if the pen is full, you close it (and let people queue up in the next pen), the guy on the PA system runs through a scripted 3/4 minute safety routine and then sets you off. Very basic stuff about keeping left, open roads, not a race, what to do if you get into trouble - all of the stuff they stick on the documents that nobody reads. But you've got a captive audience who will hopefully take in a quarter of what you say.

And keep doing that till about 7am. You also have the benefit then of having an even flow of riders rather than huge bunches going out at specific times.

Overkill maybe, might deaden the "just set off at your own pace" buzz, but also might be effective.

Advertisement