Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Cycle 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

07Lapierre wrote: »
    That's my point! What more should the organisers do? This event (and all cycling events) are held on public roads. Its up to each individual to act responsibly and cycle in accordance with the ROTR.

Any event that has 10,000 cyclists is going to have a few incidents. Once you add in a bit of rain and a few descents, its not surprising that there were a few crashes.
    jon1981 wrote: »
    I'd call a handful of accidents among 10,000 cyclists across 180km in those conditions a success from an organisers point of view ...

Yeah you're both right I guess. I thought there would have been a lot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It's a tough one. What most experienced sportive riders would consider usual manners (calling if passing and calling about cars) others would consider as "shouty racer types".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Didn't they try allocating people timeslots last year? It's very hard to do, people show up late, people wanting to cycle with a group... also once you hit the first food stop every thing clogs up again.

I wouldn't fancy being in the last time slot as it would mean coming in very late and missing the buzz in Killarney as it does wind down after 7pm.

The ring of Beara have different starts around the ring, I think it's 3. Perhaps this would be more affective, however you need to organise 3 start/finish points with all the hoohah that goes with it.

Honestly, I don't think any change is needed, I still think the safety record is impressive given the numbers and mix of experience, the only people i see put out by the amount of people and congestion are the lads that want to go fast and there's plenty of other events for that.

Whether you have 10,000 cyclists or 1,000, you're always going to have an element of unsafe cycling.

(p.s. I know of someone who had a very bad accident 4 yrs back, a couple of broken bones and the numbers or club cyclists had nothing to do with it, he/she crashed with nobody around on a straight flat road. Accidents happen but people assume it's always because of the volume or scary club cyclists running people off the road. The guy/girl I knew would throw a stone at the ground and miss, that kind of person :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

seamus wrote: »
    Granted, the organisers might say that this year was no different from the last, so maybe I'm way overthinking this.

But maybe something like phased starts would make a difference. So, say at 5:30 you put up a barrier, and people queue up in a pen. After five minutes, or if the pen is full, you close it (and let people queue up in the next pen), the guy on the PA system runs through a scripted 3/4 minute safety routine and then sets you off. Very basic stuff about keeping left, open roads, not a race, what to do if you get into trouble - all of the stuff they stick on the documents that nobody reads. But you've got a captive audience who will hopefully take in a quarter of what you say.

And keep doing that till about 7am. You also have the benefit then of having an even flow of riders rather than huge bunches going out at specific times.

Overkill maybe, might deaden the "just set off at your own pace" buzz, but also might be effective.

I seriously doubt the Gardai will allow 1000+ cyclist to start "en mass" that's why they state that you can start anytime ( to prevent large numbers of cyclists)

Doesn't matter what the organisers do... nobody can offset personal responsibility.

Didn't they try allocating people timeslots last year? It's very hard to do, people show up late, people wanting to cycle with a group... also once you hit the first food stop every thing clogs up again.

I wouldn't fancy being in the last time slot as it would mean coming in very late and missing the buzz in Killarney as it does wind down after 7pm.

The ring of Beara have different starts around the ring, I think it's 3. Perhaps this would be more affective, however you need to organise 3 start/finish points with all the hoohah that goes with it.

Honestly, I don't think any change is needed, I still think the safety record is impressive given the numbers and mix of experience, the only people i see put out by the amount of people and congestion are the lads that want to go fast and there's plenty of other events for that.

Whether you have 10,000 cyclists or 1,000, you're always going to have an element of unsafe cycling.

(p.s. I know of someone who had a very bad accident 4 yrs back, a couple of broken bones and the numbers or club cyclists had nothing to do with it, he/she crashed with nobody around on a straight flat road. Accidents happen but people assume it's always because of the volume or scary club cyclists running people off the road. The guy/girl I knew would throw a stone at the ground and miss, that kind of person :) )

Th Marmotte Sportive in France has different start times. First riders off at 6:30am are the elites (pros). The next group off are previous entrants who achieved a particular time. They're off at 6:45. At 7am the first group of "regular club cyclists" go. Then another at 7:15 and the last group off at 7:30.

To facilitate this... the road is CLOSED to all traffic! And as each group sets off, it's like the charge of the light brigade, as they take up the full width of the road (each group has about 2000 cyclists!) This is a huge undertaking and illustrates why the ROK has no specific start time. Can u imagine the carnage if thousands of cyclists (of different cycling ability) set off from Killarney at the same time?

• Advertisement

Th Marmotte Sportive in France has different start times. First riders off at 6:30am are the elites (pros). The next group off are previous entrants who achieved a particular time. They're off at 6:45. At 7am the first group of "regular club cyclists" go. Then another at 7:15 and the last group off at 7:30.

Yeah and given that a regular club cyclist is probably the entry level requirement for this type of event you would expect road closures and time slots given the level of the participants.

P_1 wrote: »
    It's a tough one. What most experienced sportive riders would consider usual manners (calling if passing and calling about cars) others would consider as "shouty racer types".

I'll admit, I used to be in the "they are shouty racer types" camp until I joined a cycling club. Now I understand that it's just good cycling etiquette aimed at keeping everyone safe.

If a person is put off by a guy/girl alerting you to their presence as they pass, how it gods name do they manage cycling in traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The ring of Beara have different starts around the ring, I think it's 3. Perhaps this would be more affective, however you need to organise 3 start/finish points with all the hoohah that goes with

Most people still took off from Kenmare!
    A friend started in Glengarriff, said there were very few with her.

Most people still took off from Kenmare!
    A friend started in Glengarriff, said there were very few with her.

Yeah, Kenmare is where the buzz is , so not surprised. RoB is a class event, it's the reason i don't do RoK anymore.

That's my point! What more should the organisers do? This event (and all cycling events) are held on public roads. Its up to each individual to act responsibly and cycle in accordance with the ROTR.

Any event that has 10,000 cyclists is going to have a few incidents. Once you add in a bit of rain and a few descents, its not surprising that there were a few crashes.

+1
    10,000 punters, allowing for full subs is about 380 soccer matches. There's a good few broken legs, sprained ankles, ripped open knees, split heads in 380 matches.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Kenmare is where the buzz is , so not surprised. RoB is a class event, it's the reason i don't do RoK anymore.

What I love about the ring, is the carnage! Mighty craic.
    You're right, ROB probably a better event now though. It's (mainly) in Cork too which helps!!

Yeah and given that a regular club cyclist is probably the entry level requirement for this type of event you would expect road closures and time slots given the level of the participants.

Yeah 9000 "Shouty Club Cyclists!"...your average ROK rider would hate it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

I set out at 6.40am and there was a fair crowd even then. In Killorglin, at the top of the hill, as the peleton swung left, this wagon in front of me stopped pedalling, looked to her right at a group of cyclists gathered outside a shop/filling station, and at this moment my self-preservation instincts were aroused; sure enough, she veered across the road as a fellow cyclist came up on the outside. He shouted a warning just in time as he narrowly missed her front wheel. Simultaniously at the same time another cyclist swerved in the other direction just missing her rear wheel. Anyway, she got across safely. Near Glenbeigh we were treated to the stomach-churning sight of a van with Michael Healy-Rae's picture emblazoned on the side.
    The morning stayed dry until Cahirciveen, where I stopped for an emergency piss and a drinks refill before climbing Coomakista in the fog and rain. Just before Sneem I did see a High Nelly and a tandem!
    A few miles before Kenmare I got hit on the head by an overhanging tree branch, but survived with a wobble. Kenmare was a welcome break, another opportunity to empty the bladder and take on liquid, and marvel at the amount of drink and food people can consume during a long cycle.
    On the climb up Molls Gap I overheard two guys, the conversation going like this:
    "How's it going?"
    "Got cramp early on, but they gave me deep heat and it worked straight away. Was afraid to stop again in case it came back, so I'm going to keep on going to the finish."
    And off he went, leaving us in his wake.
    After a buttock-clenching descent from the summit to Muckross, my chain started to squeak, probably because of the oil being washed away by the rain.
    And so Killarney at 2.20pm and a well-deserved medal and an equally well deserved piss before heading home an hour's drive away.
    Saw a few cars in the Lidl car park with warning stickers on their windscreens, as they were there since early morning and I suppose they were lucky they weren't clamped. The Lidl management were understandably unhappy that most of their customers' spaces were taken! I had started out from that car park rather than go into the town, and the missus parked in the cathedral car park where she collected me when I arrived, with her usual greeting "What kept you?"
    Anyway, a great day made possible by the stewards, Gardaí, and the volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

A few miles before Kenmare I got hit on the head by an overhanging tree branch

Yep.... nearly came a cropper at that same branch!! Lucky I a small guy and it just scalped the top of my helmet.

On a side note.... anyone know if the lady injured just outside Kenmare is doing ok?? Bad accident - we all diverted onto the footpath as they looked after here....hope she ok and sending her best wishes from Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

This has been bugging me since Saturday, is the distance 170km or 180? They advertise as 180 but my garmin said 170. Surely I didn't miss 10k?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Macy0161

This has been bugging me since Saturday, is the distance 170km or 180? They advertise as 180 but my garmin said 170. Surely I didn't miss 10k?
    It's 170. They just lie about the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Apparently the first RoK used to include Valentia island making it 180 km. Old newspaper articles confirm this.When it was cut the committee left the distance at 180 as it sounds better. They can't cut it now, all the jerseys have the 180 km on them. No harm is done so best to just leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Apparently the first RoK used to include Valentia island making it 180 km. Old newspaper articles confirm this.When it was cut the committee left the distance at 180 as it sounds better. They can't cut it now, all the jerseys have the 180 km on them. No harm is done so best to just leave it.

Thanks for clearing that up, wasn't mad just wondering was my garmin fecked!

Not sure it's no harm done - I know a few who were pretty disappointed it wasn't the 180 as that would've been their longest ride. They added it to the cost and lottery as a reason not to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

How in the name of god did ye get up Molls on a high Nellie?

With good humour Roger! Actually I've ridden it a few times in smaller and bigger groups but doing it this way, with no pressure, out for a laugh, enjoying the banter and sitting about a foot taller than my usual cycling position was definitely the best. I'd recommend it, but not without some miles in the legs, you'd have to be used to riding biggish gears, although I think mine was 44 x 16. People were very generous with their goodwill, but we got some laughs out of the cries of anguish and "FFS" as we passed some folk on the hills.

We'll be doing it all again at the OldVelos Vintage Classic on Sept. 10th.

Blatant plug, sorry,

Brendan

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Not sure it's no harm done - I know a few who were pretty disappointed it wasn't the 180 as that would've been their longest ride. They added it to the cost and lottery as a reason not to go back.

In fairness, they could always go around a few roundabouts a few times to bring it to the 180

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

rash wrote: »
    Think the decent from ladies view was closed for 30 minutes because of a crash, hope those involved are OK.
    About what time was this? Any news of the casualties?

In fairness, they could always go around a few roundabouts a few times to bring it to the 180
    Or the organisers could actually run the event to the advertised distance, or just advertise it at the actual distance!

We stayed in Fassa so ultimately it didn't matter, but just another irritation with the event. The actual route isn't even quite 170 iirc!

The few times I did it I didn't see anyone complaining at the finish line about being short changed of the extra few KM ;)

The few times I did it I didn't see anyone complaining at the finish line about being short changed of the extra few KM ;)
    Probably only shouty racing types bothered by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 peter.teahan

The current ROK is just under 173Km. 2Km was lost due to changing the Kenmare food stop from the school inside the town to the current location on the Ring. Where are these clippings that say Valentia island was on the original route? Valentia island would have put it away over 180Km so not sure about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

My Garmin always shows around 177 but that is because I start and stop it where park my car so get a few bonus kms to and from the starting line.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My Garmin and Google agree on it being just shy of 170km, 169-point-something.

It's funny that they persist in calling it 180km, and if you look at tourist information about the Ring, they all claim it to be 179km too.

Experimenting with the maps, if you were to go into Kenmare then go out and do a loop around the lake and back to Kenmare, that'll give you about 10km extra. I wonder if that's traditionally been part of it, or if tour busses go that way to make it easier than trying to turn in Kenmare or something?

It's funny though, last year the phantom 10km appeared after Moll's Gap when the signs suddenly jumped from 150 to 170km. This year IIRC it appeared after 110km, magically jumping 10km later to 130km.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

The current ROK is just under 173Km. 2Km was lost due to changing the Kenmare food stop from the school inside the town to the current location on the Ring. Where are these clippings that say Valentia island was on the original route? Valentia island would have put it away over 180Km so not sure about that.

I wonder if the 180k route took in the climb out of Portmagee??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I wonder if the 180k route took in the climb out of Portmagee??

if you head to Killarney from Kenmare via Kilgarvan and skip Molls gap it is EXACTLY 180kms

see here for the map

Advertisement