Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'outer centre ring' - Ballyfermot vs Cabra, Drimnagh, Crumlin,...

Options
  • 31-12-2016 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looking at the areas that surround the city centre (centre being roughly between the two canals) there is a lot of neighbourhoods that look quite similar - East Wall, Ballybough, Cabra, Ballyfermot, Inchicore, Drimnagh, Crumlin etc. All of them are mostly ex-council estates built in mid-20th century; 'working class areas' (although I despise class divisions); rows of 2/3-bed terraced houses; generally settled and quiet with nice community spirit but having some random bad apples causing anti-social behaviour; bad historical reputation (that sticks undeservingly too long?); aesthetically a bit bland and featureless but still OK; etc. There's obviously a bit of generalisation in these statements as the area covered is huge.

All of them also tend to have very similar house prices, except Ballyfermot which is still much cheaper (I'm talking about the 'nicer' Inchicore end of Ballyfermot, not Cherry Orchard). Granted it's the farthest away from the town of all listed here, but it's not that much further having whole Dublin in mind, also public transport is quite good. Am I missing something? Knowing a bit about most of these areas myself, and reading through boards.ie to see other people's perception, all areas seem to be reasonably similar, i.e. it would be hard to say that one is better than another.

Any thoughts on this? Someone with enough experience for a wee comparative study? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from A&P. Dublin city forum charter applies

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

athtrasna wrote: »
    Moved from A&P. Dublin city forum charter applies

East Wall & Ballybough are world's apart imho. I've noticed East Wall changing for the better in recent years, lots of home renovations, previously unoccupied office buildings being let. Arrival of Aldi and the new Lidl/Starbucks/McD's/An Post depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

blue_blue wrote: »
    East Wall & Ballybough are world's apart imho. I've noticed East Wall changing for the better in recent years, lots of home renovations, previously unoccupied office buildings being let. Arrival of Aldi and the new Lidl/Starbucks/McD's/An Post depot.

Yes the are a lot of positive charges taking place and more to come in the area in the next 2-3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

blue_blue wrote: »

Lots of gentrification in Ballybough too tbh. Just look at Bayview Avenue.

Not that much in Ballybough is mid century either, unless you're talking about the 1850's. and a fair amount of stock in both East Wall and Inchicore is Victorian to 1920's. They're architecturally far less bland than, say, Ballyfermot. But then inchicore would be 'inner circle', if you use the canals as a boundary.

Advertisement