Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting bills in restaurant

Options
  • 31-12-2016 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all.

Can anyone help me with a question I have on splitting a bill in a restaurant.
    I was in a restaurant in Dublin recently with a friend and as we were going to pay we asked to split the bill. The waitress told us that the restaurant doesn't allow customers to split the bill.
    Does any one know if this is legal?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Perfectly legal....

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Entirely legal. You are clearly still allowed work out what to pay towards a single payment yourself.

Splitting can be very awkward on some POS software and often leads to "abandoned" items nobody pays for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I suppose you could say, I'm not paying for anything I didn't order. I want a bill for my dinner and drinks, not everyone's.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suppose you could say, I'm not paying for anything I didn't order. I want a bill for my dinner and drinks, not everyone's.

If the premises provides one bill per table that isn't going to be any use. If you want to do that, ask at ordering and go elsewhere if they won't and its that important.

Work out a single payment between the table and be done with it - arguing, making up "reasons" etc are going to waste your time and achieve nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tell them when ordering, fine.

Don't tell them, then they are perfectly correct to not split it. Work it out yourselves in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Bebe344 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Can anyone help me with a question I have on splitting a bill in a restaurant.
    I was in a restaurant in Dublin recently with a friend and as we were going to pay we asked to split the bill. The waitress told us that the restaurant doesn't allow customers to split the bill.
    Does any one know if this is legal?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Would you ever grow up! Stay in McDonalds next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@TheQuietFella - if you have nothing useful or helpful to say, then please don't post

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I used to be restaurant manager and the biggest hate of mine is when people wonted to split bills don't mind for 2 or 3 people its easy to split.

But if you have a table of 12 wonting to do it F off.

One. i wont have the change for you or i am not running the card machine 10 times in a .
    Two. i will have to deal with fights over who pays for what on the table.
    Three. would you spilt the cost of the bottle of wine over 5 people ?.
    Four. leaving a bad review on trip adviser as i refuse to spilt your bill for 12 people.
    Five. When i refuse to spilt the bill right away you start fighting with me and insulting me.

How i don't miss working in restaurants as people would complain and insult you over anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think there are apps on iTunes and the Play Store to handle this situation - enter the details, who eat what and it will tell you who owes what. Not sure if they can handle shared bottles of wine or billable portions of veg!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I can't understand why someone would eat out with people who'd want to split the bill like that. Why not just eat on your own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

coylemj wrote: »
    I think there are apps on iTunes and the Play Store to handle this situation - enter the details, who eat what and it will tell you who owes what. Not sure if they can handle shared bottles of wine or billable portions of veg!

Do you mean a calculator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Four. leaving a bad review on trip adviser as i refuse to spilt your bill for 12 people.
    Five. When i refuse to spilt the bill right away you start fighting with me and insulting me.

I think people are seeing through the reviews on trip advisor now. It is not a good and fair measure of a restaurant.
    People using the threat of a bad review to try to get free stuff.
    Then you have the bad reviews posted by irrational people, disgruntled employees and competitors.
    It's a bit of a joke.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It was a pet hate of mine when I worked in gastronomy as it takes so much time if it's a large group (although it was my feeling that you also got more tips that way than with a single bill), but it can be important for customers who need their own receipt for claiming back expenses so should be done by any decent place imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Not really. Handy enough to circle whatever you're claiming for and submit that

Highly unlikely many have vouched expenses for single meals anyway

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

L1011 wrote: »
    Splitting can be very awkward on some POS software and often leads to "abandoned" items nobody pays for.

yeah it can be awkward, but thats going a bit far...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭ongarite

yeah it can be awkward, but thats going a bit far...
    I think the poster is referring to POS software as Point Of Sale software in this case.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Recieve the total bill, pay your share of it. Staff have enough to do tbh.

Dodge wrote: »
    Not really. Handy enough to circle whatever you're claiming for and submit that

Highly unlikely many have vouched expenses for single meals anyway

Well I had plenty to people ask me to do it, so I guess it's important for some people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭AngryLips

There's nothing wrong with asking to split the bill evenly though right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

How would it not be legal?

• Advertisement

Elemonator wrote: »
    How would it not be legal?

For the sake of interest.. anyone know what is legal situation as regards contract law and all that? What would happen if you refused to pay?

Edit: Or to make a little difference, what happens if one person refuses to pay, can the restaurant still refuse to split the bill and hold everyone responsible? Who is the contract between, the restaurant and the table or the restaurant and the individuals?

AngryLips wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with asking to split the bill evenly though right?

Yes there is sorry as i said there earlier i used to work as a restaurant manager and if 12 people say wonted to split the bill even you will need to have a crazy amount of change in the cash as more then likely everyone will wont to pay with a 50 euro note, Then the time it takes when you have a full restaurant to take 12 bills as say 2 mins per bill thats near 24 mins paying while it was as simple 2 min job if you didnt ask me to spilt the bill.

Sadly don't ask to spilt the bill as its extremely rude and very time consuming when you have a busy restaurant and you will be told no.

For the sake of interest.. anyone know what is legal situation as regards contract law and all that? What would happen if you refused to pay?

Edit: Or to make a little difference, what happens if one person refuses to pay, can the restaurant still refuse to split the bill and hold everyone responsible? Who is the contract between, the restaurant and the table or the restaurant and the individuals?

If one person refuses to pay the full table is held in account for the bill as at the end of the day everyone ordered with each other its a single order. Not 12 different orders or 12 different tables its a single table single order everyone on the order is held in account for the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Then you should have booked and asked for s table for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Transaction charge on every one!

If one person refuses to pay the full table is held in account for the bill as at the end of the day everyone ordered with each other its a single order. Not 12 different orders or 12 different tables its a single table single order everyone on the order is held in account for the bill.

Can you give me a reference for that? Genuinely interested as contract law fascinates me. Like what makes it one single order if I order individually directly off the waiter?

Edit: What about the old scam where you meet a pretty girl and she invites you back to some pub where she orders a few bottles of champagne off her owner friend, while this is usually enforced by some muscle, is it actually legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Unless someone is going nuts on bottles of Moet just divide the bill equally. No "oh Mary had the soup and I had no starter". Fair enough if the difference is outrageous but 5 10 quid just let it go.

Find the other person in the group who doesn't give a **** and head to the nearest bar with them. Enjoy drinks while the pennypinchers squabble for an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

For some restaurant law contract law being used a defence in a criminal case see Guildford v Lockyer [1975] Crim LR 235.

The table would be joint and severally liable I would imagine. Interestingly (or not) the resturant staff or indeed another patron would be within their rights to arrest you.

This is a very odd thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

L1011 wrote: »

That's an awful cop out. Any restaurant I've ever been in in the States can do this with no moaning.
    Y
    Sadly don't ask to spilt the bill as its extremely rude and very time consuming when you have a busy restaurant and you will be told no.

I hate the customers are a burden view that severs and some restaurants seem to have here. What kind of nonsense is that. It's rude to ask a place providing a service to paying customers to spit the bill. Take a jump like :rolleyes:

But, to the OP question - get an app for your phone to do the split if it's such a burden on the place you just likely paid a fortune too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Reati wrote: »
    That's an awful cop out. Any restaurant I've ever been in in the States can do this with no moaning.

I hate the customers are a burden view that severs and some restaurants seem to have here.

But, to the OP question - get an app for your phone to do the split if it's such a burden on the place you just likely paid a fortune too :)

It would hardly require an app to work out your share of a bill for a meal.

Advertisement