Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting bills in restaurant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

It would hardly require an app to work out your share of a bill for a meal.

Some people aren't good with maths. So an app might help them. There is also apps that let you transfer the amount from your account direct to a friend who might cover the whole bill. Thanks for the valuable input though. It's enlightened my evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Reati wrote: »
    Some people aren't good with maths. So an app might help them. There is also apps that let you transfer the amount from your account direct to a friend who might cover the whole bill. Thanks for the valuable input though. It's enlightened my evening.

Your sarcasm is wasted on me. If people want to split a bill it isn't rocket science. If their maths isn't up to it I'm sure they could use a calculator on their phones just as easily as an app.
    But let's complicate a simple situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Your sarcasm is wasted on me.

I'm sure lots of things are wasted on you actually but no doubt you'll give an opinion on that too :)

anyway, off for new years! G'night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

It would hardly require an app to work out your share of a bill for a meal.

My son was just telling me that he has paypal linked to an app that is designed for this. So when his mates and he come to pay the bill, one of them forks out but this app allows the remainder to transfer their portion via paypal to the payer's card.....

I know. Every modern inconvenience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,369 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Del2005 wrote:
    I can't understand why someone would eat out with people who'd want to split the bill like that. Why not just eat on your own?

Depends on your budget. If I can afford a salad and chips, and you can afford a steak and a bottle of wine, that's fine. But you can't expect everyone to pay the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

The restaurant wants payment for their services.

They don't want to put up with bullsh1t arguments about who didn't have a starter.

Melts my head that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Generally speaking...

Grow up.

If you need it for vouched expenses, say it when you go in. I've never had a problem if I go in with a group on expenses and say to the waitress/waiter at the start "Hey, we're on vouched expenses. Is it going to be possible to get separate bills?". Never had a problem, and if they can't do it that's okay, we'll go elsewhere because we need the receipts.

But otherwise, grow up. If you all ate similar food, split equally. Otherwise go Dutch: add your 6.95 starter to your 14.95 main, 5.95 dessert and 7.95 glass of wine, add about 10% for a tip and chuck in your €40. Your mate who had no starter, a 12.95 main, the 5.95 dessert and tap water and puts in €20. You've now put in €60 for a €55 meal. If the service was good, each chuck in a couple of extra euro. That's all there is to it. Nothing more. That easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I ran a restaurant for 8 years. Sometimes I would have people from large tables coming up to me saying can I pay for this and that only.

I would say no, give the cash to somebody at the table and pay me in one go.

Its v embarrassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Depends on your budget. If I can afford a salad and chips, and you can afford a steak and a bottle of wine, that's fine. But you can't expect everyone to pay the same.

Right2Water xmas party eveyone already pays through taxation. Wont pay cant pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

For the sake of interest.. anyone know what is legal situation as regards contract law and all that? What would happen if you refused to pay?

Edit: Or to make a little difference, what happens if one person refuses to pay, can the restaurant still refuse to split the bill and hold everyone responsible? Who is the contract between, the restaurant and the table or the restaurant and the individuals?

Interesting opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Elemonator wrote: »
    For the sake of interest.. anyone know what is legal situation as regards contract law and all that? What would happen if you refused to pay?

Edit: Or to make a little difference, what happens if one person refuses to pay, can the restaurant still refuse to split the bill and hold everyone responsible? Who is the contract between, the restaurant and the table or the restaurant and the individuals?

Interesting opinion

I had to call the guards a few times for non payers. By the time they had got down things had been sorted. Possibly the individuals.

Right2Water xmas party eveyone already pays through taxation. Wont pay cant pay.

Wah? I'm only saying it's grand to go out together, order what you want and then pay for it. Easy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Del2005 wrote:
    I can't understand why someone would eat out with people who'd want to split the bill like that. Why not just eat on your own?

I'm not one for splitting the bill myself but some are on a tight budget. Some at the table might just have mains and tap water to drink while others may have had three course meal with wine.
    I think it depends on where you are in life. I'm middle aged and it's not a big deal if I pay towards someone else meal but I can see younger people on a tight budget wanting to do it
    Op restaurant is within their rights to do this and you shouldn't hold it against them. But I do defend your right to split the bill yourself. Don't let anyone here make you feel cheap. No one here knows your circumstance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just throw what you owe (+tip)into the pot on the table...

If you want to use card then how about asking friends if its ok to take the cash and pay with your card (don't be afraid to say why to your friends). BUT make sure you do this in front of your friends and get the waiter to bring over the machine so they see yer not steeling the tip.
    Failing that, excuse yer self from the table and go to an ATM and get cash.

If yee all want to split individually by card then be nice and sort it out before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

ebbsy wrote: »
    I had to call the guards a few times for non payers. By the time they had got down things had been sorted. Possibly the individuals.

I know how you fell with that. Had happened a few times with us they just start at you for no reason what so ever when the bill comes and say ohh why did you charge me for this and that ?.

And do you who i found who are the problem people over the years ?. The people who think they have money ......

The normal every day people just get on with things.

Now if i am eating out as a a group EG me and the girlfriend i would pay for us and who ever are our friends we work on the table who pays what ....

Sleeper12 wrote:
    I'm not one for splitting the bill myself but some are on a tight budget. Some at the table might just have mains and tap water to drink while others may have had three course meal with wine. I think it depends on where you are in life.

Completely agree.

Eating out is a social activity. Some people can afford to do it big shtyle, others need to do it cheap. There's no reason why both people can't eat out together if each pays for what they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I can see why restaurants refuse to split bills by card as they get charged a transection fee each time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I'm really surprised to read about splitting the bill being some kind of issue. Most people split the bill evenly and most pay by card so the hassle is minimal. If you think it's rude then you shouldn't really be working in a customer facing role. There are solutions to avoid some of the more extreme situations for bill splitting and some have already been shared in this thread. Having a clearly stated restaurant policy around bill splitting would be a good start, applying a transaction charge particularly for large groups is an example of what can be done. Ultimately, there's no excuse for a bad customer experience.

AngryLips wrote:
    I'm really surprised to read about splitting the bill being some kind of issue. Most people split the bill evenly and most pay by card so the hassle is minimal. If you think it's rude then you shouldn't really be working in a customer facing role. There are solutions to avoid some of the more extreme situations for bill splitting and some have already been shared in this thread. Having a clearly stated restaurant policy around bill splitting would be a good start, applying a transaction charge particularly for large groups is an example of what can be done. Ultimately, there's no excuse for a bad customer experience.

Would you order a round of drinks brought to your table in a pub & then expect 7 or 8 people to pay separately?

Sleeper12 wrote:
    Would you order a round of drinks brought to your table in a pub & then expect 7 or 8 people to pay separately?

No not normally. If some people got a coke and others got a bottle of champagne, then you would probably split the bill. Rounds of drinks are on the way out anyway. Good riddance

• Advertisement

No not normally. If some people got a coke and others got a bottle of champagne, then you would probably split the bill. Rounds of drinks are on the way out anyway. Good riddance

Not on the way out in my local.

If someone got a bottle of champagne and others a coke would you split the bill yourself, place 2separate orders or expect lounge staff to split the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

[QUOTE
    BUT make sure you do this in front of your friends and get the waiter to bring over the machine so they see yer not steeling the tip.
    .[/QUOTE]

Sound like a really great group of close friends :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Sound like a really great group of close friends :eek::eek:

Don't forget the 'Honour among theives' convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I think people are conflating splitting the bill amongst yourselves (perfectly fine) with asking the restaurant to provide an individual bill for each person at the table (not cool).

Dial Hard wrote:
    I think people are conflating splitting the bill amongst yourselves (perfectly fine) with asking the restaurant to provide an individual bill for each person at the table (not cool).

Spot on

Completely agree.

Eating out is a social activity. Some people can afford to do it big shtyle, others need to do it cheap. There's no reason why both people can't eat out together if each pays for what they had.

Yes but sort it out BEFORE the meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I worked in restaurants/bars for about 10 years. Never really bothered me if people asked to split bills. Which they often did. Yes it's a bit of a pain in the arse (especially the tables with 10+ people) but it can be done.

What really annoyed me was when people asked to pay by card in a busy late bar/night club. It took feckin ages! Especially when it was so busy. Seems to be a lot more common for people to pay by card now. A lot easier with the contactless cards I would say..

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Don't forget the 'Honour among theives' convention.

Let's just say we're friends... but watch each other like hawks when playing cards.
    But it works out, no one is afraid to call it when someone is trying to sneak the fillet in a split bill.
    Also if anyone is stuck for money they declare beforehand .
    Typical table of 15... never any problems for the waiter at the end.
    State your intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Sleeper12 wrote: »

And would you still refuse those people service if they all ordered and paid separately? You're comparing apples with oranges. Just don't work in the service industry if you have a problem with it.

• Advertisement

One of my favourite things about living in Canada is that it is expected that they split a bill, makes life so much easier - its the little things:o

But sometimes I am amazed how they get it bang on when it gets messy

Advertisement