Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will Rock n Roll rise again?

• 31-12-2016 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭

Just talking to a friend about the current condition of music and how their is the absence of a big rock band or rock bands in general. Are rock bands even getting record deals? Are there even record deals any longer? I suspect that a band like oasis if they were knocking about now wouldnt get a record deal and so would never have made it.
    But are these things cyclical, do you think rock music will rise again and there will be bands springing up to once again dominate the charts? Or is the gig up for good this time and we will be subjected to manufactured acts featuring other manufactured acts sampling music created by someone who actually produced something original at one point many years ago

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Oasis are really only a UK band though. Good few bands in this list...

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/list/7356755/billboard-top-40-money-makers-rich-list

What do you mean by "charts". A lot of people don't listen to anything in the charts. I think many bands have realized this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭thesultan

We badly need something...

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Rock will never die or fade out, just continuously reinventing itself, take Muse for example, Queens of the stone age, etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

There is some rock bands still knocking around but many of them are getting old as we have seen with AC/DC. Love them or hate them, Foo Fighters are still somewhat recent band are still releasing albums such as Wasting Light. I don't know if rock bands will ever take over the charts again but they will minimum maintain a place. However it is more likely than not they will come back, all things retro are back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

It's very rare that a rock band breaks into the mainstream and still retains some sort of artistic integrity. Queens of the Stone Age and The White Stripes would be examples in the past 15 or so years. But I really think that rock n roll could not take over the charts in this day and age without being severely compromised by the major record labels and powers that be. You may wish for amazing rock bands to take over and change the world, but in reality you will end up with watered-down rubbish because of the way the music industry values profit over music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

When I saw the title, I thought the OP was talking about old-style "rock and roll" - not rock music per se! It is something of a cabaret act these days!

Rock music has not gone away. There are still plenty of young bands and solo artistes out there. They just don't dominate the singles charts - that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Elemonator wrote: »
    I don't know if rock bands will ever take over the charts again but they will minimum maintain a place. However it is more likely than not they will come back, all things retro are back again.

Yeah I feel the same way. I just think that something will happen and there will be that one band that will galvanise everyone and start a cascade of new bands that will take over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

tunguska wrote: »
    Yeah I feel the same way. I just think that something will happen and there will be that one band that will galvanise everyone and start a cascade of new bands that will take over again.

Exactly! Oasis got a few people on the road.

Advertisement