Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is music today a bit shït?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hollis Hurlbut

Just f*cking LOL at 'Hold Back the River' being a masterpiece! Hilarious! It's just shocking.

No music is not crap today. The stuff you're constantly exposed to is though. Lots of great bands about if you put a bit of effort into discovering new bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Lots of great bands still out there but social media and x factor and their ilk have messed it up.

I'm an oldie, when I was a teenager in the early 90's it was all Jesus and Mary Chain, The Bunnymen, Dead Kennedys and all that.

And before anyone says yea but "chart music" I mean, The Cure regularly charted, The JAMC charted with April Skies (and everyone was a brief JAMC fan after Lost in Translation). Echo and the Bunnymen charted with Bring on the Dancing Horses and so on.

I think teens these days are influenced by what they think is popular. They might not even like the music but if its what their friends are listening to and popular culture says is the done thing then they'll go for it. And especially teen girls are influenced by looks. Hence all the boybands.

So yeah, its a bit ****. Some amazing bands out there but they'll never get the recognision they might deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This type of thread seems to pop up every few months, trying to say all music is crap in a time when we have ridiculously more available to us is frankly just lazy. What is in the charts is generally not great and sounds very generic (largely due to Swedish producers taking over with a very similar sound that's been built on a 'formula' for 'catchy), but some of what is available otherwise is brilliant, with artists like Chance the Rapper, Frank Ocean, David Bowie, A Tribe Called Quest, Radiohead, Kaytranda and a bunch of others bringing out really good stuff just this year.

It's really great to see Chance beginning to get the recognition he deserves lately, having turned down record deals in recent years so he could make music how he wanted to

Pretty sure everything below is from the last 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Billy86 wrote: »
    This type of thread seems to pop up every few months, trying to say all music is crap in a time when we have ridiculously more available to us is frankly just lazy. What is in the charts is generally not great and sounds very generic (largely due to Swedish producers taking over with a very similar sound that's been built on a 'formula' for 'catchy), but some of what is available otherwise is brilliant, with artists like Chance the Rapper, Frank Ocean, David Bowie, A Tribe Called Quest, Radiohead, Kaytranda and a bunch of others bringing out really good stuff just this year.

It's really great to see Chance beginning to get the recognition he deserves lately, having turned down record deals in recent years so he could make music how he wanted to

Again its all subjective. From your videos I love Bowie, love Radiohead but I don't like Chance the Rapper. I'm sure hes good at what he does but I couldn't listen to it.

Pretty sure everything below is from the last 12 months.

Again its all subjective. From your videos I love Bowie, love Radiohead but I don't like Chance the Rapper. I'm sure hes good at what he does but I couldn't listen to it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Depends what you're into I suppose. What seems to be popular is indeed rubbish, but radio (Certainly Irish radio) and TV have become irrelevant in terms of discovering new music as as I am concerned. The internet is a fantastic tool for both artists and listeners when utilised properly.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

joewicklow wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here,

Why do people always post images similar to this. Do they think that producers only write lyrics or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Music is at a very different stage now than it would have been even 20 years ago. It's much more accessible, it's much more developed and understood, we've applied science to it so major labels know what noises tickle our primitive brain in just the right way and there's a lot more of it.

There's too much of it for any of it to be special anymore. The labels are producing engineered products, rather than latching onto whatever the kids are up to.

That all seeps out into every other part of the music industry. The people growing up learning music want to get fans and to do that they follow the same formulas as the big boys (because technology has made that possible) and end up formatting themselves for the music industry.

Part of the problem is we're also coming off a time when music was instrumental in social changes, the 50s to the 80s was a unique time that allowed for an explosion in music, but I don't think that can go on, it was a moment, but now it's over. Now music has become a product and it's even losing it's ties to culture and becoming more associated with lifestyle.

Music was better in the recent past because it meant something, it did something. Now it means nothing outside of personal appreciation and its been usurped by other vehicles when it comes to social change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I guess the early 00s golden era of indie rock music never happened. It was all an illusion. #FakeMusic

I thought it was great at the time, but I never listen to that era any more. Yet, I still listen to the classics. Plus, I think the late noughties were better than the early.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Pop started to go downhill with Stock Aitken and Waterman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The current chart music scene is a wasteland to look for good music now. I wouldn't waste my time with it as most of the current artists don't appeal to me.

Go out of the comfort zone & get a better feel of music for your enjoyment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Watching Top Of The Pops New Year Special on BBC1 at the moment.
    One of the first six songs was decent, the others poor.
    Now they are giving us long career updates on artistes and what happened at music festivals .... PR stuff from the music companies?
    And we start off again, and its another terrible song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I think so yes. I couldn't listen to that beyonce/one direction/ gangster rapping ****e. :P I don't really listen to the radio anymore. I just find my music on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Yes, but now and again and very rare tune will be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Yep. Plus they threw Disturbed in there with Zeppelin as well :rolleyes:

Yes I mentioned the last few people I'd listened to, problem? :) I wasn't having a dick swinging contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

While there is a higher percentage of **** music being made today, just remember that **** music has always been made including the stuff in the 1980's but we have just forgotten about it. This only leaves the good stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The thing I find sad about the change in the landscape over the last 20 years is no one singer or band will ever enter the national zeitgeist like say the Britpop bands of the 90's. There is a lot to be said for collective experiences. We had musical movements which people latched onto. Now, we basically have highly manufacturer products being delivered by celebrities, and it's more celebrity / fame worship that fans are engaged in, more than a case of the music speaking to them on a personal level. Or so it seems anyway.

People always say, "seek out the good music it's there if you look for it" - that's fine and dandy. But the point is, isn't it sad that where once the charts were stuffed with real artists like Bowie who managed to reach a mainstream audience, they are now being lost and denied that huge mainstream audience because people like Nikki Minaj are cluttering up the radio airplay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Agricola wrote: »
    The thing I find sad about the change in the landscape over the last 20 years is no one singer or band will ever enter the national zeitgeist like say the Britpop bands of the 90's. There is a lot to be said for collective experiences. We had musical movements which people latched onto. Now, we basically have highly manufacturer products being delivered by celebrities, and it's more celebrity / fame worship that fans are engaged in, more than a case of the music speaking to them on a personal level. Or so it seems anyway.

People always say, "seek out the good music it's there if you look for it" - that's fine and dandy. But the point is, isn't it sad that where once the charts were stuffed with real artists like Bowie who managed to reach a mainstream audience, they are now being lost and denied that huge mainstream audience because people like Nikki Minaj are cluttering up the radio airplay.

Cultures change and evolve and maybe shared experiences are becoming more niche, live music is still a great experience I saw Aslan last night and i would rate it 10 starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

I find younger folks listening to what are classic 1990s underground / electronica stuff as if it's a new discovery.

Recent years have produced a lot of low brow, churned out commercial dross. It's hard to find the gems in the sea of reality tv style garbage.

You also went from an era that was more into live music and underground dance stuff into an era that has been horrifically superficial - all about tacky music and dressing in fake tan.

The upcoming Trump and Brexit driven angst will produce some good music again. It's the upside to political instability, threats of global calamity and economic depression.

I find younger folks listening to what are classic 1990s underground / electronica stuff as if it's a new discovery.

Recent years have produced a lot of low brow, churned out commercial dross. It's hard to find the gems in the sea of reality tv style garbage.

You also went from an era that was more into live music and underground dance stuff into an era that has been horrifically superficial - all about tacky music and dressing in fake tan.

The upcoming Trump and Brexit driven angst will produce some good music again. It's the upside to political instability, threats of global calamity and economic depression.

It's not that hard to find good music. Just a bit of digging on the internet and you'll find loads of great stuff.

I don't think the whole Brexit/Trump thing will make any difference to mainstream music. People said the same about the economic collapse and nothing happened.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Austria! wrote: »
    There's a fantastic appreciation of subtle dynamic changes, a wonderful incorporation of rappish elements

This, more than anything else, is what p*sses me off so much about modern pop music. Why does every bloody song have to incorporate a rap section? It's generally pointless, incongruous and adds nothing at all to the song. But because everyone else is doing it artists seem to think that they have to do it as well.

Elemonator wrote: »
    While there is a higher percentage of **** music being made today, just remember that **** music has always been made including the stuff in the 1980's but we have just forgotten about it. This only leaves the good stuff!

The problem now is that the good music being made these days isn't getting the same exposure as good music in the 80s did, so in 20 or 30 years time there'll be no-one going on about how good the music from 2016 was because all the popular stuff that's getting the exposure is so instantly forgettable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Music peaked when Interpol released turn on the bright lights.

That was it. Nobody will release a better album than that. EVER.

Zaph wrote: »
    This, more than anything else, is what p*sses me off so much about modern pop music. Why does every bloody song have to incorporate a rap section? It's generally pointless, incongruous and adds nothing at all to the song. But because everyone else is doing it artists seem to think that they have to do it as well.

Totally agree. I've never heard a song that was improved by having a rap verse in the middle of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Zaph wrote: »
    The problem now is that the good music being made these days isn't getting the same exposure as good music in the 80s did, so in 20 or 30 years time there'll be no-one going on about how good the music from 2016 was because all the popular stuff that's getting the exposure is so instantly forgettable.

MTV used to drive the music industry whereas now there is noone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It's easier for producers to churn out nonsense because of modern technology. In the eighties Stock, Aitken and Waterman drowned everyones voices in a weird, warbly, phased effect to hide their flaws. Now producers can just use Autotune. There's even a live version of Autotune that singers can use in concert. Milli Vanilli will probably never happen again because rather than getting someone to lip sync to someone elses voice, you can use their real voice but cover up the bum notes with Autotune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Suas11 wrote: »
    It's not that hard to find good music. Just a bit of digging on the internet and you'll find loads of great stuff.

I don't think the whole Brexit/Trump thing will make any difference to mainstream music. People said the same about the economic collapse and nothing happened.
    Well Rage Against the Machine's 'Killing in the Name of' was Christmas #1 in 2009 (but was a 1994 song). :p

Generally though, while it wasn't be in the mainstream, 2009 - 2012 were some excellent years for music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I've been listening to a lot of movie soundtracks lately. There are some brilliant composers out there at the moment. Hans Zimmer has made some incredible music in the last few years. But the rock and pop music is terrible now. There are a couple of good modern artists that I listen to like Ryan Sheridan and Ben Howard but other than that there's not much out there that interests me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Not to go all "BACK IN MY DAAAAY!" but whenever I hear some of what's popular today I get a little sad.

........ fake voices and synth instruments

Sounds like 70's and 80's shíte...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

ScumLord wrote: »
    Music is at a very different stage now than it would have been even 20 years ago. It's much more accessible, it's much more developed and understood, we've applied science to it so major labels know what noises tickle our primitive brain in just the right way and there's a lot more of it.

There's too much of it for any of it to be special anymore. The labels are producing engineered products, rather than latching onto whatever the kids are up to.

That all seeps out into every other part of the music industry. The people growing up learning music want to get fans and to do that they follow the same formulas as the big boys (because technology has made that possible) and end up formatting themselves for the music industry.

Part of the problem is we're also coming off a time when music was instrumental in social changes, the 50s to the 80s was a unique time that allowed for an explosion in music, but I don't think that can go on, it was a moment, but now it's over. Now music has become a product and it's even losing it's ties to culture and becoming more associated with lifestyle.

Music was better in the recent past because it meant something, it did something. Now it means nothing outside of personal appreciation and its been usurped by other vehicles when it comes to social change.

Nail..........on...........the.........head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭indioblack

Surely the test of any music is it's durability.
    Music from the 60's and 70's - and the 1950's and earlier.
    Classical, jazz - Gershwin - marvelous.
    Sinatra, the crooners - you can pick out the best from each decade, each era.
    Perhaps it's too easy to claim today's music won't be remembered - having said that, I can think of only a couple of tunes from this year that I would want to hear again.
    Maybe it's my age - maybe not.
    Oh and don't forget the musicals - Bernsteins West Side Story - listen to the orchestral version - now that's what I call music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

mzungu wrote: »
    Looks like somebody started the New Year celebrations a bit early

in fairness he is right about sia. her music these days isn't great but she is a tallented singer over all. check out her work with zero 7.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    MTV used to drive the music industry whereas now there is noone.

And before MTV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

well in fairness, it probably is for them. personally as a dance music fan i'm glad they are discovering it, as if they dig deep enough they will discover some absolutely fantastic music. whatever about other music, dance music really was better back then. they're is some good stuff being made but it won't be anything like the music back then.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

It's easier for producers to churn out nonsense because of modern technology. In the eighties Stock, Aitken and Waterman drowned everyones voices in a weird, warbly, phased effect to hide their flaws. Now producers can just use Autotune. There's even a live version of Autotune that singers can use in concert. Milli Vanilli will probably never happen again because rather than getting someone to lip sync to someone elses voice, you can use their real voice but cover up the bum notes with Autotune.

Apparently Milli Vanilli didn't have a note in their collective heads. Not even autotune that fix that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

well tonight im listening to birdy, ella henderson, avicii, elbow, bastille, tom petty, coldplay, haim, the levellers, paloma faith to be honest i dont listen to much of the,old stuff ihave Gnr, led zep, pink floyd, deep purple (even though i love playing guitar - badly)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I think you might have a point there. I'm pretty sure all of us in this thread can remember a big anti-Bush trend in music when the latest war in Iraq started (e.g. Green Day and Eminem). I can foresee a similar artistic pushback against Trump, but on the other hand such a pushback could be tainted by the Clinton campaign's use of celebs.

EDIT: Dammit, I should have mentioned Green Day's "21st Century Breakdown". Looking back, it's like a warning letter from the Rustbelt which won the election for Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I think everyone is going to love the music they grew up with. If you gave me 1000euro I couldn't name a song in the charts today.
    Sometimes when an oldie comes on the tv or radio I call the kids (teens)just to see their rolling eye reaction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I always laugh when some idiot creates a thread like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭indioblack

lulu1 wrote: »
    I think everyone is going to love the music they grew up with. If you gave me 1000euro I couldn't name a song in the charts today.
    Sometimes when an oldie comes on the tv or radio I call the kids (teens)just to see their rolling eye reaction
    Fair point - some years ago a lad I worked with tried to demonstrate, [with one of those new-fangled compact disc things], the difference between Rap and House and Garage, [I think that's the names].
    I couldn't distinguish between them, he could though.
    When I was a lad it was my parents generation complaining about the racket I was listening to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Today's music is sh*te, grew up in early 90s*)(had to go up to sister in dublin for proper night out) jaysus lads had some club nights mansion house was rocking,!!! Henry's in cork was even better.... christ they were proper nights, now tis fair sh*te to go out and listen to the party heads now .....

• Advertisement

Today's music is sh*te, grew up in early 90s*)(had to go up to sister in dublin for proper night out) jaysus lads had some club nights mansion house was rocking,!!! Henry's in cork was even better.... christ they were proper nights, now tis fair sh*te to go out and listen to the party heads now .....
    What albums did you listen to from this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Most of the music that has been in the charts during my lifetime has been dire. I'm 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

I always laugh when some idiot creates a thread like this.

I always laugh when I hear what's considered "good" music comes on the radio.

It's not just the music that has changed, the whole nightlife and club scene is completely different now. At some point, nightclub promoters became entranced with the idea of paying minor celebrities to make "public appearances" in nightclubs. More depressingly, it seems to be wildly successful. It basically seems like the death of nightlife. But as a touring scene, it's one that currently has more nationwide appeal than any music scene does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Talk to any old farts and they'll tell you about the absolute centrality of music when we growing up. Not just that it was important - it still is to a lot of young people - but it was the absolute hub of youth culture. You talked about it, spent most of your money on it, were defined by what type of music you followed.

There used to be 3 rock music papers: New Musical Express, Melody Maker and Sounds. If you didn't get down to the newsagents by 9am, all the copies of the NME would be gone. If you got there at 10am, Sounds would be sold out and there'd only be Melody Maker left. After 11am, they'd all be sold out. Sometimes I'd be outside the newsagents at 7am when it opened and I'd be one of 4 or 5 other obsessives.

And a lot of people were in bands. You bought your Les Paul or Strat copy and scratched your records to buggery learning the songs by listening to the LPs.

Music simply doesn't have that all-consuming primacy any more; there isn't the level of engagement and the talent pool is smaller. Young creative people are pursuing other avenues and it shows in popular music.

I always laugh when I hear what's considered "good" music comes on the radio.
    Your problem is that you are judging music by what is played on the radio, rather than actively browsing through music publications, websites and playlists looking for something that you do like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Saipanne wrote: »
    And before MTV?
    FM radio and college radio in the states. The big corporations swallowed them up. Pirate radio over here, politicians stamped them out and legit stations like bbc hired a lot of the djs.
    Things changed with the music video and mtv, changed again with the internet, napster, youtube and digital downloads.
    Who knows, all music might be free to download in the future and the artist will make money from live shows and online advertising or sponsorship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

The charts now are dominated by either R & B,watered down hip hop or else very tame "indie" bands like Coldplay. I find it's the vocal style of a lot of these acts that I can't take. Everyone singing in this generic attempt at black American soul and all sounding exactly the same.

Also the Chipmunks seem to be making an appearance in a lot of modern music. That Major Lazer "Lean on" is a good example. "Wah wah... woh, wah wah woo... wah wah wah wah wah wah woh." There are plenty of other pop songs with that same sound. Justin Bieber has a few too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think the excuse that there is plenty of great music out there that is not getting noticed is ridiculous. The cream always rises to the top.

I think the excuse that there is plenty of great music out there that is not getting noticed is ridiculous. The cream always rises to the top.
    Can you give some examples?

• Advertisement
Advertisement