Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Checked Baggage Query

• 31-12-2016 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

When travelling with children you can pay 50% less for a child's checked bag than the price for an adult, for example an adults is €100.00 return for 20kgs whereas a child's is €50.00

Question, how do Aer Lingus know that it's actually for the child, in other words, can one book a child's 20kg bag on and then use it for all the family's gear? saving €50.00

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wonder what the t and c are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Your paying for 20kg they don't care what is in the bag.

afatbollix wrote: »
    Your paying for 20kg they don't care what is in the bag.

Do they rely on people's honesty or something? Why do they leave it open to abuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Because they have no right to open your bag and check if your shirt is in a childs bag.

You also get a childs seat and pram on for free, Who would travel if they had to pay for all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I think you have to pay for a full price adults bag and you can get half price on child then. They will never know if you don't use the bag for a child.

I think you have to pay for a full price adults bag and you can get half price on child then. They will never know.

Can you not just book one child bag and no adult bag where you plan to only bring one suitcase anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

vicwatson wrote: »
    Can you not just book one child bag and no adult bag where you plan to only bring one suitcase anyway?

I couldn't when I tried last month. Had to book an adult bag to avail of 50% child bag. Suited me as I wanted to check in a bag for us both as I'm travelling alone and didn't want to carry them around the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭millb

I couldn't when I tried last month. Had to book an adult bag to avail of 50% child bag. Suited me as I wanted to check in a bag for us both as I'm travelling alone and didn't want to carry them around the airport.

We are a family, want to book in 1 bag. They have no half price (on-line) bags all seem to be the same .. eg 35 eur whether I book a 1 child's or 1 each all €35.

Seems like best not to bother with online ..and rock up to bag check and pay 17.50€ there.. and do the same on the way back ??

Am I missing something here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

millb wrote: »

We are a family, want to book in 1 bag. They have no half price (on-line) bags all seem to be the same .. eg 35 eur whether I book a 1 child's or 1 each all €35.

Seems like best not to bother with online ..and rock up to bag check and pay 17.50€ there.. and do the same on the way back ??

Am I missing something here?

It’s €50 to book a checked bag at the airport no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭millb

Locker10a wrote: »
    It’s €50 to book a checked bag at the airport no?

Apparently they just charge for a 20kg bag.. whatever that is for the flight.

My point is they have "Family First half price bags " but its not clickable / selectable on-line.

http://www.aerlingus.com/plan-and-book/plan/family-first/

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I'm slight confused, I booked a flight for myself and my wife to New York back in April and it clearly stated on the confirmation email that economy class can check in one bag per passenger upto 23kg for free, which was always the way with Aer Lingus.

I've just checked in online this evening and the screen after where you submit your details, I was asked to check in our bags for €37 each. I didn't know what was going on, as I thought there was only a fee for a second checked in bag, so I skipped that step, confirmed the information, but now our boarding passes says "Bags 0" :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

What does the confirmation email actually say? It should say '1 Bags' after each name. It doesn't show 23kg anywhere on the confirmation emails

Bags 0 is the number of bags checked in

Aer Lingus does now offer a basic no luggage fare to the US
    Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 11.15.12 PM.png

What does the confirmation email actually say? It should say '1 Bags' after each name. It doesn't show 23kg anywhere on the confirmation emails

Bags 0 is the number of bags checked in

Aer Lingus does now offer a basic no luggage fare to the US
    Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 11.15.12 PM.png

Damn it! I had no idea about the new Smart Saver fare or what ever it's called. I booked the flights and accommodation through Expedia and the confirmation just said Economy, not Saver, so I just presumed that it was the same economy fare that I've paid for this same route for the last couple of years.

The boarding passes both say Bag 0 beside the sequence number on the top right corner. The confirmation gives a break down of baggage rules further down the page, it says Ecomony bags upto 23kg for free, that's what I was referring too. I suppose I'll just have to cough up €37 extra for bags. I really wish I had have known this before booking.

By the way, the two economy seats cost me over a grand all in, so that's pretty much the same fare that I always pay Aer Lingus to New York, so I'm not sure if that's actually a basic no frills fare. I probably could have saved a few quid just biting the bullet and flying with Norwegian if I knew in advance. Oh well, lesson learnt and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Just got back home this morning. I had to pay €150 to check in two bags in Dublin Airport then $200 for the return flight. So that's around €320 extra on top for the €1k+ that I paid for tickets. There was also close to a 2 hour queue to check in bags at JFK. The whole thing left a very bad taste in my mouth so I think I'll be avoiding flying with Aer Lingus in future

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Phat Cat wrote: »
    Just got back home this morning. I had to pay €150 to check in two bags in Dublin Airport then $200 for the return flight. So that's around €320 extra on top for the €1k+ that I paid for tickets. There was also close to a 2 hour queue to check in bags at JFK. The whole thing left a very bad taste in my mouth so I think I'll be avoiding flying with Aer Lingus in future

You must have book the hand luggage only fare ! Not really their fault if you didn’t read your ticket

Advertisement