Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how was your 2016?

Options
  • 31-12-2016 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭

I'm quite happy with mine. Hit my target of 100km per week despite the best efforts of kids and wife ;)
    Really enjoyed the Ox Mountains sportive, Reservoir Dog and An Post tour of Meath. Got better at climbing. Knocked the Angliru, Covadonga and Farrapona off my Bucket list.
    Climbed Everest eight times and cycled from Dublin to New York :D

13yoz7b.jpg

Happy new Year and safe cycling in 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

A disaster! Including commutes which I don't record, less than 5k. Worst cycling year for me since I started in 2012 ,work and life stuff got in the way but both have settled down so looking forward to getting back in the saddle for 2017. Swapped my cx bike for a mountain bike recently so hoping for a lot more off-road next year.

[IMG][/img]download1.pngscreen shot

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Started off well enough with some decent early year work resulting in top-10 finishes in most of my IVCA races and the LVRC Omnium championships, and a 2nd place in my category in the Duane Delaney on the track. In June I focussed more on specific training for the track with the GBR Track Masters taking place in Newport at the end of the month.

That was the turning point of the season - alas more of a U-turn than anything else and it was pretty much downhill from thenonin! I pulled my back in the starting gate starts and was still recovering from that in August when that and various other injuries were exacerbated when someone rammed into the back of my car (twice!!) on the way to an IVCA race. That pretty much ended my road season, but I still had a few track objectives.

First race in the IVCA champs was the pursuit where I was defending the championship I had held since 2011. Punctured one disc wheel in the warm-up and another about 3/4 of the way into the event. Had to then swap over to a bog-standard rear wheel and finished outside the medals in all events.

The World Masters were in Manchester early in October. I had entered 5 events with the intention of doing 3 or 4 depending on how things went. First up was the scratch which went well enough even though I was never going to be in contention. Then overnight my ears, almost literally, blew up. I had been getting infections quite regularly in them and this put paid to my participation in the whole event.

The end of October and back to Newport for the LVRC championships. This time the sinuses were playing up, along with the back and shoulder! At least I managed to do a few events before packing up.

Final event of the year was supposed to be more LVRC racing this time in Derby. By the time I got there though I was using a walking stick, barely able to walk, so no racing for me that weekend

Since then I've had the sinuses operated on and am getting the shoulder sorted next month. That means a late start to the 2017 season, but hopefully it will still be a bit better than 2016....

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Was the first year in quite a while i hit all the targets i set in Jan. New Job helped so happy with the distances overall will aim for longer spins in 2017

[IMG][/img]2016.pngimages hosting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm in the ha'penny place compared to you guys. just short of 2,400km.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Oh dear...

405108.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

*being disorganized with work and put too much time pressure on myself for main event and made bo11ix of it!
    * Cycled less than any year since 2013, combination of more strength training, way more weekends spent with a chainsaw. Had pretty much decided in 14 that mixing a sedentary office job with huge amounts of cycling isn't great for you and an awful use of hobby time for me
    *made a pretty determined effort to cycle new roads and discovered some gems local to me and so not so local. 2hrs on empty roads day or night is a real pleasure
    * discovered the joy of 28mm GP4000 and low pressure
    * learned how to build wheels, 4 rear builds and I'm not dead yet :)
    * A tour of Mallorca away from mountains and using "Cami" roads is on bucket list
    * Rode the Brown Stuff solo, never fcuking again
    * 560xp is a ripper, oops wrong forum:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I was aiming for 12k km, so happy with that.

ZpTuf0Pg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Worst year since getting back on the bike 6 years ago, too much travel with work meant a very limited race season culminating in a 5th place Vets highlight in early June, after that I had to knock the racing on the head as I was spending as much time in the US as I was here, and then the missus was hospitalised in early Oct for 2 months which left me playing single dad to 3 kids , while trying to work a full time job on US hours, which meant no bike whatsoever for that duration. That said Wife is safely back home now and I have had one of my best Dec's ever as I try and set things up for a successful 2017, travel will be much less this year and any I do do will be european which means that I'll be home every weekend.

139 hours
    3621 kms
    91 Activities

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

@ ford2600 what is the joy of GP4000s at low pressure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    @ ford2600 what is the joy of GP4000s at low pressure?

I ride a lot of crap roads, at 95Kgs for bike/rider and 60-70psi 28mm make it very comfortable. 5000km on rear with no puncture, great grip. Best tyre I've ever used.

Currently using 25mm gp4000 and on crap roads it's night and day difference as I have to run higher pressure.

@Alek has used them with even higher mileage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

6500km+ on them at the moment, they look solidly battered but ride like new :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

I had a great year..sat in a vehicle for most of it.promoted the usual amount of stuff as always.Bullsh1tted a bit as usual,and at the end of the year was inducted into Cycling Ireland hall of fame..All in all not a bad year

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Definitely done more on the bike than any other year before. Strava doesn't count my elevation properly for some reason, Garmin puts me at 29,475m for the year. :)

download.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

No where near the other posters, but happy at 1786 for the year. Had aimed for 2000 but a bad start to 2016 put paid to that, however I did 1350 in 2015 and 150 in 2014 (effectively 0 before that) - so I'll take it... Well done everyone.

Paddy
    --
    405125.png

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Was ahead of schedule to pass 2015 total of 4.5km until October when the mother was hospitalised, only getting out just before Xmas, so my time was a bit curtailed. That combined with a couple of badly timed hangovers left me just 34km short, but such is life. Happy new year to all, stay safe in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

here's mine if i can load it correctly, longest was just over 300km, the iron mountains audax, garmin powered out at 271Km..happy new year to all
    index.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

All in all a good year for me, plenty of stats below but after a very accident afflicted 2015 the most important figure isn't there, but it's 0, no crashes, no broken bikes, no hospital visits or new scars....

Apart from that I'd have to be very happy with 2016, got to the Alps, managed to get up and down everything I tried without too much drama, only raced club league but after a few nervy early races managed to hold my own in my own class, it's great craic with a nice group of lads both from our club and the opposition. Rode a few open TTs, don't think I disgraced myself, managed to avoid finishing last at least, hopefully I'll get a few in again next year.

405129.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I did 12,633 kms for the year, with 95,731 metres of elevation gain.
    Happy with the year, considering, I was off the bike for 6 weeks, because of an operation.
    Average speed is a little bit up.
    Highlight of my year was the Gran Fondo in Belfast, hope to do it again in 2017.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nilhg's and devonp's stats are weirdly similar.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Well I for one have never seen them in the same place at the same time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

2016 was my first year on a road bike and my original aim was 5000km plus loosing some timber.

January I bought a Thompson r7200 which has been a very loyal servant once I sorted the wheels out and grateful for some help from ford2600.

Bike 2 came when I got a redundancy so I got me a Giant TCR Advanced 1 with some Kyrsium SL Pro wheels. I did some localish club league races and feel I have progressed well as a cyclist for my first year.

End of year total hit over 10,000km so I doubled my total which I am over the moon with.

2017 aims include dropping the timber to 95kgs or even 92kgs for Paddy's Day race in March. I plan to race twice hopefully and see does it do anything for me.

I also plan to do a 200km spin at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Goal was 4,000km did 4,600km with 90% of that done between March and September. Elevation was 25,000m, enjoy the bike the most in the hills. Max spin was 180km. Apart from managing a few injuries since September it was a great year, thankful to be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Well spotted
    colm18 wrote: »
    Well I for one have never seen them in the same place at the same time..

It would seem based on the stats he's always a bit ahead of me, must try harder...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

Was miles ahead of my target of 5200km until knee pain just before the Giant's Causeway Sportive forced me off the bike. Couple of failed attempts to get back but fortunately I've managed to get out 4 times over Christmas

Didn't reach my 5200km target but am happy enough with the year. Did a 170km spin which included Minaun, joined the local club and up to the injury I was flying it. Looking forward to next year!

380314cfb3d1561d39446bf8a3454c9e.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

New baby and work curtailed the early part of the year so just missed goal of breaking 5000km but still happy with my cycling year. A few 'firsts' in my 3rd year cycling.
    Did an individual and a team TT
    Completed a 300km Audax
    Went to the club AGM!
    Worked (volunteered) at a pro bike race

Hope to hit the Alps and do at least 50% of club league in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Unknown_zps2cay6lxf.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A great year in the saddle (and the first in a while that I didn't have any spills!)

Infographic_zpsp0hnok4r.png

that veloviewer infographic is missing a 'how many pints of beer you burned off cycling this year', which is one of the main mental calculations i make about my rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

405153.jpgClimbed Mount Teide and did the 3,000km's I targeted at start of the year. I would like to do more but I work a lot away from home so don't get out anywhere as often as I'd like to. I'm happy overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

12598klm for me this year.

The highlight has to be climbing Mt Ventoux and the fact that I cycled over 1400k in December! (More than any other month this year)

Low point was missing out on the Rapha Festive 500 challenge on strava by 7k due to my own stupidity!

405154.PNG

Advertisement