Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how was your 2016?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Low point was missing out on the Rapha Festive 500 challenge on strava by 7k due to my own stupidity!

You've still almost an hour to go. On your bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

The good folks at Mapmyride have been emailing articles on getting back on the bike and motivation tips for a while now. Tyres pumped and chain lubed for tomorrow though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Erm, have to get my sh1t together! After 11k and since 07/2014 I'm still 100kgs. I will try harder in 2017! Happy new year to everyone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

07Lapierre wrote: »
    ..... and the fact that I cycled over 400k in December! (More than any other month this year)....
    I presume you meant 'over 1,400k in December'?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I presume you meant 'over 1,400k in December'?? :confused:

Quite correct..1436 to be exact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Did 8,680km this year which I'm very happy with. I only got into proper road cycling in April, when -surprise, surprise- I downloaded Strava. From then a bought myself a Giant "gravel" bike and proceeded to fall in love with cycling. I really liked the gravel bike as I could cycle offroad too.
    Highlights included:
    ☆Wicklow 100 completed
    ☆Ride with 2,750m elevation completed
    ☆Cycle to Achill Island via Roscommon over two days
    ☆Wexford Cycle
    ☆Joined the local club
    ☆Discovered this great community on boards

All in all a fantastic year, I had always been cycling throughout the years as my main way of exercising, but I think in the past I'd be getting 2-4k, so really took off in 2016.
    Unfortunately for the first half of 2017 I have the Leaving Cert preparation and exams, which will sadly limit my time on the bike, but hopefully I'll make up for it in the summer and during college, and improve on 2016!
    Have a great & safe year everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Goal was 5,000 km. I definitely did that and some change, I had a few computers during the year on 2 bikes... so a bit of totting up is required. It's between 5300 and 5400. . Won't have that problem this year as Santa brought me a garmin 520. Highlights... got my 24 year old Raparee back on the road having sourced 1992 dura ace 7402 chainring set. 52/42. That bike will be 25 in April :).
    Picked myself up a lovely cannondale caad 9 with ultegra throughout, lovely bike.
    Managed to hit a 30kph Avg on the DAA charity cycle. My usual Avg tends to be between 25 and 27 on mostly solo spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

My garmin says 4905kms and 199hrs, now there are some frustrating figures! Very similar to the OP's stats by the looks of it.
    I reality I'd say Im closer to 6000kms than 5000, as I only started using the garmin in March and before that was using a combo of cateye speedo, lidl cheapo one and nothing at all.
    My gf was living in Delgany at the time and I did a fair bit over there early 2016 as I was out of work til late Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Passed 10000 mark on the 30/12 so just in the nick of time. 12000 was my first goal but after a hectic start to the year I knew I would t reach that. About 8000 of my kms revolved around work and I'd say I had 5-10 non work day spins all year out of the 598 recorded spins on Strava and a few of those were sneaky half days from work. About 100 (at least) of my lunch spin must have included St. James hospital to see my parents which meant I picked up a bug most weeks so it felt like I cycled the whole year sick.

1200 done in December which got me over the mark, all but 60 not work related,hence my Strava profile has been on private lately.

Highlight was the Evil which I didn't finish due to fever but done 209 km which was still respectable for that route. Having a rest now to get my health in check and much needed bike repairs.

Happy new year all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I set a target of 6,500km at the start of 2016. I finished at just over 8,100km. A lot of that thanks to having the sense to leave the car at home and enjoy stress free commutes by bike.

I'm not one for sportives or events but I did do the Tallaght Hospital Summer Cycle with Unknown Soldier which was an excellent event.

I've yet to decide on a target for 2017.

Where's the usual Strava animation thingy that usually surfaces this time of year with a synopisis of the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

405198.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Here is my Strava Year in Review

All in all a so so year. Had signed up for the Celtic Knot and was not getting enough miles in early on. Fractured my elbow in February and between that and a trip to Korea (which helped) I was off the bike for 2 months.

Feeling sorry for myself I bought a lovely new bike, and did a fair bit of cycling from April-June and then was busy for most of July and August.

Had hoped to get between 7000-10000 km and was well short due to life getting in the way. Not going to chase a target number this year, but going to just try and be on the bike every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Weepsie wrote: »
    Not going to chase a target number this year, but going to just try and be on the bike every weekend.

Fallen at the first fence!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pawlie

****e, 2016 racing season ruined again through injury just like 2015, and it may have me out of 2017 season too, 3 words......

Iliac Artery Endofibirosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Pawlie wrote: »
    ****e, 2016 racing season ruined again through injury just like 2015, and it may have me out of 2017 season too, 3 words......

That's a bummer. The very act of doing the thing that you love is damaging you and making it so you can't do it. Awful. I hope it heals for you and you can get back.

I have similar. Don't let it stop you.

crosstownk wrote: »
    I have similar. Don't let it stop you.
    Unfortunately it is stopping me race, has since March, had visits to the Sports Surgery Clinic to confirm it, Vascular clinic in BlackRock is next step in February for more tests and then the operation.

Unfortunately it is stopping me race, has since March, had visits to the Sports Surgery Clinic to confirm it, Vascular clinic in BlackRock is next step in February for more tests and then the operation.

Apologies. I missed the race bit. Yes, it will massively hinder race performance - no doubt about that.

I'm a leisure rider so all I really suffer from is that 'lactic burn' in my right leg that results in slower speed and extra struggle on climbs. Running is out of the question but that's probably a benefit. :D

I'll say no more on it as you're already getting medical advice but feel free to PM me if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Layer of dust on my roadbike, all my gains for the last couple of years probably evaporated, stupid job :(

Im moving to a 7-3 shift at the end of this month and we told our boss before Christmas that we're just walking out the door at 3pm any more so hopefully going to have lots of long free evenings and less pissed off mindset in 2017, couldn't be worse than the year thats gone anyway.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Apologies. I missed the race bit. Yes, it will massively hinder race performance - no doubt about that.

I'm a leisure rider so all I really suffer from is that 'lactic burn' in my right leg that results in slower speed and extra struggle on climbs. Running is out of the question but that's probably a benefit. :D

I'll say no more on it as you're already getting medical advice but feel free to PM me if you want.

Yea its a disaster alright, funny thing is I can ride in Z2 all day for as long as I want but if attempt to go or creep close to higher zone my right leg just shuts down and pain is unbelievable :mad::mad::mad: and that means no racing, in my case its nothing compared to lactic acid as that is enjoyable when training or racing :eek:

• Advertisement

Yea its a disaster alright, funny thing is I can ride in Z2 all day for as long as I want but if attempt to go or creep close to higher zone my right leg just shuts down and pain is unbelievable :mad::mad::mad: and that means no racing, in my case its nothing compared to lactic acid as that is enjoyable when training or racing :eek:

Pardon the pun but I feel your pain. When it was first diagnosed I considered it a disaster but as time went on, I learned to manage it. See, I'm pure thick stubborn and I still go up the Wicklow Gap with my 11-28T and refuse to swap to an 11-32T. It might take me a few minutes more to get to the top but it beats sitting on the couch thinking 'what if?'.

Flights of stairs even bring it on.

I sincerely hope it all works out for you - I really do. Listen to the medical professionals. I completely disagreed with my surgeon's course of action as I wanted to be returned to 'normal' but in the end, he was right. He told me I'd be doing well to walk 2km without stopping but here I am 18 months and 12,000km later after reluctantly following his advice.

Maybe you'd PM me every once in a while with your progress.

Apologies to everyone else for derailling the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

ShjVayC.png?2

Ended up with fairly decent numbers despite having several long and stubborn flu seasons that kept me off from the bike for several weeks at a time. Commutes for the first half of the year not included nor is any rides to town etc. so I'm guessing total is around 7500km's for the year.

Maybe I set my target to five figures this year?

edit: also managed a 200k ride that I was particularly happy with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Lads, could I bother you for a brief run down of your symptoms?

Lads, could I bother you for a brief run down of your symptoms?

Basically, it's a pain in one or both legs when you're putting in a bit of effort - bike, run, walk, whatever. More in the calves while walking or running but in the thighs on the bike.

Maybe this deserves a dedicated thread rather than messing with the 2016 achievements of everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

2cdzltf.png

T'is the weekend for looking back on 2016 and making plans for 2017. Mere mortals have been out on the tear but those of us who are well on the way to becoming part-bike/part-human have been analysing the Strava stats. By the way, can anyone explain the "Eddington Ride"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had to google that. it seems to be this, if i understand correctly; if you have an eddington number of X, it means you had X number of cycles of at least X km.

so someone who cycles 18,000km a year, but in maximum 50km rides, will have an eddington number of 50, but someone who cycles 10,000km, but in 100km spins (100 spins of 100km each) will have an eddington number of 100.

edit: it seems the eddington number varies from the other measurements in the infographic, in that the unit measurement is miles rather than kilometres.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

4240 Kms in 2016; good first half but then tapered off into short, snatched spins once autumn hit. Haven't done a century since July. However broke the 200 barrier for the first time on WW200 so happy enough. Hopefully build on this for 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Set a target of 3500km and ended up with 5600km so happy with that. On the flip side the 50km of climbing I achieved was nowhere near my target of 60km. I entered the 2 sportives I targeted though.

As a plus I got back into a bit of running so have an alternative now when, for whatever reason, the bike isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Happy with how the year went on the bike. Wicklow 200 was my long one for the year. Trying to be a bit more focused for 2017 - more training than just riding (and running and swimming), with a view to htfu..

405230.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

edit: it seems the eddington number varies from the other measurements in the infographic, in that the unit measurement is miles rather than kilometres.
    The default veloviewer option generates it in miles, but there's an option for km - I saw it and my image has it in km. I've no idea why the default is set that way?

Paddy

Advertisement