Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how was your 2016?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....so someone who cycles 18,000km a year, but in maximum 50km rides, will have an eddington number of 50, but someone who cycles 10,000km, but in 100km spins (100 spins of 100km each) will have an eddington number of 100....
    I'm finding it hard to get my head around it!

What happens when someone does many different distances during the year? Lets be totally hypothetical and say that a cyclist goes out every day of the year (i.e. 365 rides). On the first day they do 1k, 2k on the second day, 3k on the third day and so on until they do 365k on the last day of the year.

What would their Eddington number be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm finding it hard to get my head around it!

What happens when someone does many different distances during the year? Lets be totally hypothetical and say that a cyclist goes out every day of the year (i.e. 365 rides). On the first day they do 1k, 2k on the second day, 3k on the third day and so on until they do 365k on the last day of the year.

What would their Eddington number be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Eamonnator wrote: »

Half of 1 +365 =183

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Ah yes, I get it now - all rides on the 2nd half of the year would be at least 183k therefore 183 rides of at least 183k. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Fell about 700kms short of my 5000km goal but I did cycle in the Alps so that more than made up for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Mine was good, met my goals but replacing parts isn't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

aindriu80 wrote: »
    ....but replacing parts isn't cheap.

What you need to do is buy a new bike and use both/all of them frequently. That'll halve the replacement time interval ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    Goal was 5,000 km. I definitely did that and some change, I had a few computers during the year on 2 bikes... so a bit of totting up is required. It's between 5300 and 5400. . Won't have that problem this year as Santa brought me a garmin 520. Highlights... got my 24 year old Raparee back on the road having sourced 1992 dura ace 7402 chainring set. 52/42. That bike will be 25 in April :).
    Picked myself up a lovely cannondale caad 9 with ultegra throughout, lovely bike.
    Managed to hit a 30kph Avg on the DAA charity cycle. My usual Avg tends to be between 25 and 27 on mostly solo spin.

Tots all done, had to locate one of the computers.. had it well hidden.. 5310 km for the year 2016.
    2017 starts tomorrow for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

A bit short of the 5k goal but onwards and upwards for 2017. Thumb should be back healed enough to use the Fatbike in a fortnight so 2017 can commence then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Only decided the goal was to climb over 100'000 metres in September 40'000 short...succeeded anyway happy out.
    November has to get a special mention...
    Double Everest in November mostly in the dark Solo....21spins/30 days on top of a crash continued that night with my arse hanging out for 35km did kilmashogue lane and pine forest after the crash...... struggled with road rash injuries afterwards..and yes they are sore(still no feeling in spots)8 punctures,1 x tyre, 1 x pump, 1 x stranger lift home (thanks Eoghan the surfer dude from blesso) to collect pump went back out and did another 15km rode home in the pissing rain on yet another puncture!!
    All in all in a weird way I really enjoyed my cycling this year!!

Is the Strava video for 2016 happening..I'm on my phone here and haven't noticed postings as of yet?? Has that gone premium??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm sorry, for a brief moment I thought you did a double Everest in one go :eek::eek::eek:

You didn't, did you??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

http://2016.strava.com/ is where to go for your strava video

It's very different this year

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I'm sorry, for a brief moment I thought you did a double Everest in one go :eek::eek::eek:

You didn't, did you??

No over the course of the month :D
    In the dark on my own in the mountains ;)

....the goal was to climb over 100'000 metres in September....
    Fcukin' hell! :eek: That's a Mick Byrne 200 every day!

It would take me about 8 months to climb 100,000 metres.

Fcukin' hell! :eek: That's a Mick Byrne 200 every day!

It would take me about 8 months to climb 100,000 metres.

Your missing a few digits from my original sentence WA...
    Read it again Donal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Had a goal of 5000km so happy to get to that, coming off the back of a very serious injury last year it was good to get back on track. Sacrificed some of my personal goals to bring on two friends that started cycling this year.

download_zpsl12v5smd.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not a great year for cycling last year distance wise, only showing 3.5k on Garmin connect, though didn't record a lot of rides as I was using the Garmin more for navigation. Still the wrong side of 5k though. Highlights were discovering a lot of new and very enjoyable roads in around the south side of the Wicklow mountains between Rathdrum / Augrim and Ballymore Eustace and getting thoroughly lost on them, and getting a week with plenty of cycling in West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Didn't reach the target of 8,000k for the year primarily due a broken collarbone in June so all things considered it was a good year.
    Target for 2017 - part of 4 man team in RAI

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Good and bad year for me. Did a few races (A4) in spring before switching to endurance training for a Malin-Mizen ride in June. With all the training, I wasn't feeling the love in July or Aug. By the time the rebel tour came around, I could only manage the 85 km, and barely finished that. I've stayed off the bike for much of the winter so far. But the few turbo sessions I've done have felt great, and I can feel the love returning. Just got a new bike too (gravel bike), which always helps! Bring on 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Had a goal of 12000km for the year

Distance 12,934.7 km
    Time 488h 29m
    Elev Gain 132,138 m
    Rides 196

Mixture of mountain bike and road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

My 2016 was Sh**e to put it mildly. May & June were ok KM wise but pretty much stopped cycling by from July on. Looking at the hours cycled on Strava I probably watched more cycling on tv then i spent on the bike. Not even going to embarrass myself by putting up distances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Had a goal of 12-14,000km. Managed just over 5,000. Hit by car in June and that killed that.

2017 has started with a slower 200km last week. Roll on 12,000-14,000 in 2017!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

2016 was horrible, twisted my knee beginning of the year and ended up with 2 surgeries to get it fixed, all good again a couple of month later and ready to get on the bike when I was in a car accident (hit and run) and needed again a couple of month to recover, started back on the bike end of November and starting to get fit again and to lose weight. Still a lot of physio in front of me to get back to where I once was but I am glad I am back in the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Pretty good until August, did a load of training for twentyfour12 torchbearer and battered my expectations, but once I had done that I lost my way a bit.

New job in October and death in the family meant that I've been off the bike for the last 3 months and I've put a stone on.

Did the club spin the last weekend and this (gone from finish sprints to hanging on for grim death after 60km) and I'm determined to get back in the bunch. Signed up for the torchbearer again knowing I'll need a nicer course to get over the 100km as I miss the 150km bike commute.

so great 2/3rd and grim last 1/3 really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Bit of a mixed year. Managed 8700km and 70k climbing - 500km more than planned, but lost interest from mid-October.

I attempted a few sportifs and all went poorly - I either died or the bike did. I'm now the proud owner of last place on or two climbs on the Tour of Meath due to mechanicals.

On the brighter side did some lovely spins in Spain and managed to get to Alpe D'Huez, Croix Fer and the Galibier, where the form was much better.

Plan for 2017 is to re-attempt the Orwell Randonee and Mick Byrne without suffering as much as 2016 - we'll see what happens for the rest of the summer after that. Hopefully commute 4 days/week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

My 2016 in a few ways was not as great as the previous year or the one before. However, I had a few really nice rides which made up for the other cons. I also managed to record a few activities I didn't do previously.

Anyway, I wish your 2017 will be better in every way than 2016 ;).

32240833912_dcbd31ca97_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

how the heck do you all do 12,000+ kms per year! That's 250km / week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

BailMeOut wrote: »
    how the heck do you all do 12,000+ kms per year! That's 250km / week!
    By cycling to work mainly. I purchased the bike on the scheme in 2011, so I feel obliged using it for the purpose ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Seweryn wrote: »
    By cycling to work mainly. I purchased the bike on the scheme in 2011, so I feel obliged using it for the purpose ;).

anyone here with some seriously high numbers that does not include cycling to work?

Advertisement