Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Man City, 17:30, BT Sports 1

• 31-12-2016 11:45am
    Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Big game between 2nd and 3rd place teams to finish out the PL year. These sides are the top 2 scorers and both have suspect defences so there should be goals. City have a terrible record at Anfield but with Aguero fresh after his ban this game really could go any way.

I'll go for Liverpool to edge it just, 3-2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Liverpool to win, I've an awful ear ache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

City win. Can't see Liverpool winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

City to concede at least one goal by passing around their own box and hunted down by Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Given our risible history at Anfield (1 win in 30-odd years; Anelka double in 2003, IIRC), I'd take the draw now if it's on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Utd fans will be happy to see both teams lose points.

Man City can be very hot and cold team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

5starpool getting cocky now! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

mikeym wrote: »
    Utd fans will be happy to see both teams lose points.

Man City can be very hot and cold team.

Majority of utd fans will no doubt be wearing blue today. That's for certain, we'll Irish ones anyway.

3-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Hard to call this. I wouldn't be too upset with a draw.

2-2 maybe......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    3-3

I agree. It will be a shootout. Neither defence is great at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

5starpool getting cocky now! :pac:

Hardly. Game could go any way.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Majority of utd fans will no doubt be wearing blue today. That's for certain, we'll Irish ones anyway.
    I seriously doubt that! No self respecting red would ever wear anything City-related, even allowing for their aversion to all things scouse.

5starpool wrote: »
    Hardly. Game could go any way.

So you don't fancy maintaining your winning run then....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Probably be 0-0 so.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

blueser wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that! No self respecting red would ever wear anything City-related, even allowing for their aversion to all things scouse.

Ask most United fans in Ireland and I'd say the majority would prefer a City win which I think was the point. The local rivalry would count for little here unless its with your mates or something. I dont like Everton for example, but its based mainly on a few mates supporting Everton and being annoying around derby games rather than the club or local rivalry angle. I know who I'd rather lose in a City/United/Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea vs Everton match though.

Maybe I'm wrong but that has been my experience anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very good record at home v city to be continued today, 3-1.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Ask most United fans in Ireland and I'd say the majority would prefer a City win which I think was the point. The local rivalry would count for little here unless its with your mates or something. I dont like Everton for example, but its based mainly on a few mates supporting Everton and being annoying around derby games rather than the club or local rivalry angle. I know who I'd rather lose in a City/United/Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea vs Everton match though.

Maybe I'm wrong but that has been my experience anyway.
    Okay; if you're talking about Irish fans, then fair enough. I was born and brought up in Manchester, and I can guarantee you that I would never contemplate wearing anything connected with utd. And the same would apply in reverse; most local utd fans wouldn't be seen dead in anything connected to City. The rivalry over here between City and Utd fans is nowhere near as intense as it is back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

usually the games that they expect a goal fest between 2 free scoring teams with weak defences usually end up very low scoring

I'm going for a 2-1 to Liverpool, Lovern & Hendo with Silva for City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

0-0 with mignolet and bravo having world class games leaving Neville and carragher with nothing to complain about

mav79 wrote: »
    0-0 with mignolet and bravo having world class games leaving Neville and carragher with nothing to complain about
    You do realise it's not on Sky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Okay; if you're talking about Irish fans, then fair enough. I was born and brought up in Manchester, and I can guarantee you that I would never contemplate wearing anything connected with utd. And the same would apply in reverse; most local utd fans wouldn't be seen dead in anything connected to City. The rivalry over here between City and Utd fans is nowhere near as intense as it is back home.

I think you've misunderstood the OP. Nobody will actually be wearing City gear. It just means they will be looking for them to get the win.

I actually disagree, draw suits us best in the long run.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Wouldn't trust either side naturally, so both sides might be cautious given the importance and appearance of not losing this game.

If City start well, they should handle it and atmosphere ok, big opening 20 minutes for Liverpool to get on the front foot..

So you don't fancy maintaining your winning run then....:(

I did the Southampton game as well so not all roses. My main aim is to prevent you from doing it anyhow :pac:

I think you've misunderstood the OP. Nobody will actually be wearing City gear. It just means they will be looking for them to get the win.

I actually disagree, draw suits us best in the long run.
    Okay; fair enough. Maybe I could have pt my point across a bit more clearly. I was aware that they won't be actually "wearing" anything blue, despite what was said in the post. He meant more along the lines of supporting City today. But my point would still apply. None of my City or utd supporting friends back home would ever dream of cheering the other mob on. You just don't, end of. Over here though, the utd/scouse bitterness is the prevailing rivalry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

never want to see united win anything

Sergio will score finish in a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It wasn't to be taken so literal, maybe shouting for the Blues would've been a better phrase.

I did however state that I was referring to Irish supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Normally these games are won by the team that scores the most goals and I can't see that changing at anfield today.

never want to see united win anything

Sergio will score finish in a draw
    His return is most timely, even though we've done okay without him (3 wins, and the fiasco at Leicester). Will we have enough of the ball to supply him though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

I fear a 1-2 scoreline :(

• Advertisement

Normally these games are won by the team that scores the most goals and I can't see that changing at anfield today.

Sometimes it's won by who concedes less though

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Sometimes it's won by who concedes less though
    I know the posts were meant to be humouroius in nature, but you've probably got a point with what you said. Two creaking defences out there today. Can't see it being a nil-nil, though I'd take it!

I know the posts were meant to be humouroius in nature, but you've probably got a point with what you said. Two creaking defences out there today. Can't see it being a nil-nil, though I'd take it!

Well if you're scoring OGs your scoring more and conceding more. That's why it's best to concede less.

I don't fancy Klavan & Lovren against Man City, they've done great so far to be for but against limited opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

6-5,with 4 pens, 2 ogs and firminio HT. Happy new year:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Klavan, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can, Lallana, Firmino, Mane.

Starting with 3 central midfielders for the first time in what seems like forever, Origi and Sturridge on the bench. More defensive approach to this game it seems.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, not thrilled at Can trying to keep Toure quiet (assuming he plays)

I actually wonder if it'll be Wijnaldum up front with Mane and Firmino rather than Lallana. Adam's been playing at his best from CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hard game to call. Both teams on good form but I'm hoping for a pool win.

2-1 I reckon

C1BI_NzWgAAEvcM.jpg:large

City lineup more attacking than ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Worry about Klavan and Lovren up against Aguero. Should be a decent game. 2-2.

We're usually great in this fixture, but with a changed formation and City getting Aguero back I'm not exactly confident. A win could create a real gap between 2nd and 3rd, but anything less and we're dragged back down into the mix.

Not overly happy with the selection, but what would I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Fully expect us to thrash them easily
    6-0 or thereabouts for me
    They have no defensive quality in their team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Good to see Lallana make front 3
    It brings back balance and good to see Firmy in center

Micky Owen must have got a sunbed for Xmas.

And your defence and keeper wouldn't fill me with confidence if I was a Liverpool fan.
    If I was a betting man, I'd go for a Liverpool win though. 2-1 or 3-1/3-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Having a tough time trying to figure out which team you're talking about. Any hints?

• Betfair giving near 5/1 for a red card in this game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Liverpool clearly over achieving this season and their league positions signifies this. I'd expect CITY'S squad to show its depth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement