Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Twitter the worst of the worst in social media?

• 31-12-2016 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

Twitter seems to bring out the worst in people and leads to what we used to call flame wars on an industrial scale. Piers Morgan landed himself in it again over generation snowflake comments. Trump is a tweeting disaster zone. And you only have to look at the Irish twitterites/tweeters to see more of it.

I think Twitter is worse than FB for the roasting people get and the way it lends itself to one liners.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Don't read it, problem sloved

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

In terms of entertainment and enjoyment it's by far the best social media platform imo.

At least on Twitter you occasionally encounter people with a semblance of intelligence, on FB you'll be lucky to find someone with a reasonable grasp of the English language.

Instagram and Snapchat don't count as they're just playgrounds for the narcissistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

#yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Dont use it, just not my thing, but if people are happy to use it, then let them at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I just can't make head nor tail of it. It seems very incoherent. But then, I'm an old dinosaur who still writes letters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Twitter is where brainfarts go to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Twitter is great, as long as you're (very) selective about who you follow (as much as possible, stick to following normal people, rather than celebrities), never pick an argument with anyone and always mute or block any strangers who randomly slide into your mentions to argue with you.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Twitter > Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I just can't make head nor tail of it. It seems very incoherent. But then, I'm an old dinosaur who still writes letters.

Same here ...it gives me a headache even looking at it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It's excellent for following sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I just don't get it either - it's just soundbytes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

BeBo 4 lyf, fuk da hAterz xoxo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I just use it to get news. I don't use it as a "social" media at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think it's the best, most useful of the social media sites. It's great for up to the minute updates on lots of things. The only thing I use my account for is contacting Dublin Bus though, I'm logged out most of the time and don't follow anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Twitter is really good, good for news, good for sport and if you get fed up of someone who is choosing to annoy you or someone is nasty, well just block them.
    You can get a lot of news on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Better than fakebook but that's not saying much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

From my experience of them, reddit and facebook are lower on the scale of 'the worst of the worst' than Twitter.

Though I'm not *on* any of the three...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Twitter is as good or bad as who you follow and interact with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The story of Microsoft artifical intelligence on twitter always makes me laugh though

It picked up on common phrases and interactions and they had to turn it off it as it ended up racist,sexIst and xenophobic :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I don't "tweet" on it too often as I always have too many words for it but I use it regularly for news and sports. It's a brilliant resource for both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Some very funny accounts on there. I don't tweet much myself but will always check my timeline 3-4 times a day.

Excellent for updates on news, sort etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I don't tweet at all but I use it to follow certain rugby teams and analysts. It's pretty good for that. I probably check it a few times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Twitter is great if you follow the right people. Someone like Neil DeGrasse Tyson is good for a follow because he's obviously fiercely intelligent, he's actually very funny (for an astrophysicist) and he engages with his followers. It's also handy for getting up to the minute results for matches that aren't being broadcast which are very common in the Irish county hurling leagues. Facebook is just toxic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I don't know what to think about twitter.
    Like it has its uses and positives but then on the other hand it gives just... Well... Knobs (for a lack of a better term :pac: ) a platform to be knobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

F U C K Twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I dont have an account but read dozens of tweets everyday as so many 'articles' are either entirely based on them or use tweets as their source for quotes. It's a goldmine for lazy (and I hesitate to use the word) journalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

I don't tweet much but follow twitter like a hawk on Tweedeck etc for breaking news. I follow breaking news and Areas im interested in, not celebrities or randomers.

It is highly useful for people who know how to use it. I would say i have breaking news from twitter v normal media at 90:10 in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To be fair social media is the lowest form of communication, it reduces people to trolling idiots and safe space pansies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Using to Twitter to find out about news, Catchy headlines for the imbeciles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Twitter - Yes!

Facebook - Feck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Social Media ?

Fuggin' load of bollix

Advertisement