Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool Kit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's hard to know what the quality is like with the PX kits.

I bought everything individually. You won't need half the stuff in that kit. Buy a quality chain whip, cassette locking tool, tri hex tool (4/5/6mm) and some tyre levers and you'll have enough to get started. If you plan on doing bigger jobs like replacing inner and outer cables you can buy cable cutters at the same time as the new cables. I wouldn't start buying crank removal tools etc etc unless you actually need them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It's hard to know what the quality is like with the PX kits.

I bought everything individually. You won't need half the stuff in that kit. Buy a quality chain whip, cassette locking tool, tri hex tool (4/5/6mm) and some tyre levers and you'll have enough to get started. If you plan on doing bigger jobs like replacing inner and outer cables you can buy cable cutters at the same time as the new cables. I wouldn't start buying crank removal tools etc etc unless you actually need them.

Yeah. Maybe I am better buying individually

I have a stages PM that I generally move the whole crank set as the other bike has some basic 11 speed crank and I just move the ultegra crankset between bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

godtabh wrote: »
    Yeah. Maybe I am better buying individually

I bought bits and pieces individually over time and as needs required.

Poor quality tools are a total waste of time and money. You don't need to buy the very best but you do need something that will last - much like buying a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Surprised at the halfords one being utter ****e I've built several bikes with one of those sets. I have bought items individually but got caught once to fix a bike away from home so picked up a halfords kit. I now find myself taking that out anytime I'm working on a bike.

I'm sure park tools are a lot better but they're designed for bike mechanics that will be working on several bikes/day. I've picked up a few of the PX tools and they'd be similar quality to halfords. In saying the above the nature of my job lends an array of high quality tools to me so they might be clouding judgement.

One thing I would pick up and it seems an awful waste is the cable cutter. I used a snips for years but the cable specific cutter gives a nice clean end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Surprised at the halfords one being utter ****e I've built several bikes with one of those sets.
    not sure if i'm reading you right, but there were no claims about halfords kits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've mainly bought BBB and Lifeline (wiggle) tools and found them very good quality compared to the crap found in Aldi/Lidl kits, they're also much cheaper than Park tools. I do have a park tool chain whip though as the two previous cheaper tools I had broke on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I bought this toolkit, purely because of the hypnotic moustache of the man advertising it. It cost me around €300: €13 for the kit, and then because I was shocked at the idea of paying €18 for shipping, some €280 to go to France for a few days and pick it up…

Lovely little toolkit, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

not sure if i'm reading you right, but there were no claims about halfords kits?

Ah my bad. Specs savers it is. No experience with aldi/Lidlington ones :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I find the ALDI stuff is up to the job, realistically the tools don't get much use and can't justify spending much.

Cassette twice a year, chain. 4 times a year, brake pads and cables varies

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I broke a Halfords chain whip the very first time I used it. I only do the most basic of maintenance so the aldi one is grand, though the allen keys are utter crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I did buy a general tool kit that Blorg recommended years ago: PBK Budget tool kit. But it was just a cheap way to get a few last tools I needed (chain whip, Shimano bottom bracket remover and Shimano freehub lockring tool) and a box in which to put some of the better tools I already had. I had already gotten most of my tools one at a time as I needed them to do a job.

The chain breaker in the general tool kit was first to break, and the pedal wrench bent on a friend's fused pedal stem. So I definitely recommend buying good quality versions of those separately.

(Funnily enough, the generic, non-bike-specific stuff in the tool kit, such as allen keys, screwdriver bits, small spanner, sockets and socket extension bar I use all the time for DIY purposes. So it was a great buy in the end.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Like others said here I also think you're better building up your kit as you go.

I'm lucky in so far as I service my car, motorbikes and bicycles so I'm rarely stuck for a tool, but when I am I usually look at Halfords tools first ~ they really are up to a professional mechanics standards, fantastic gear at small money.

For my saddle bag I've a Topeak Alien II which I've found to be excellent when I've had to press it into service.

I've tried some of the Aldi/Halfords tools and apart from their work stand I wouldn't waste my money and time on them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've tried some of the Aldi/Halfords tools and apart from their work stand I wouldn't waste my money and time on them again.

I agree. The Lidl/Aldi (I can't remember which) work stand that I have is amazing value. Sturdy, strong and is still perfect after 3 years.

I also have a Lidl multitool that I bring with me on every spin. I use it rarely but it's obvious to me that the metal in the tool is soft. No way would I use it for regular maintenance but it's perfect for a roadside repair. Soft tools will just fcuk with the bolts/nuts.

Most of the tools I use are from my car mechanic days and are 30+ years old. Quality tools are well worth the money and will last a lifetime. My great great grandkids will be in awe at my Snap On ratcheting screwdriver set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

crosstownk wrote: »
    I agree. The Lidl/Aldi (I can't remember which) work stand that I have is amazing value. Sturdy, strong and is still perfect after 3 years.

I also have a Lidl multitool that I bring with me on every spin. I use it rarely but it's obvious to me that the metal in the tool is soft. No way would I use it for regular maintenance but it's perfect for a roadside repair. Soft tools will just fcuk with the bolts/nuts.

Most of the tools I use are from my car mechanic days and are 30+ years old. Quality tools are well worth the money and will last a lifetime. My great great grandkids will be in awe at my Snap On ratcheting screwdriver set.

The stands should be coming up again in the next two months.

The Topeak Alien II multi tool is really a great addition to the saddle bag, it might be a little heavy for some but its really top quality.

I have some Snap On, but the Halfords 'Professional' range is a lot cheaper and carries a lifetime warranty. I striped a ratchet changing suspension units on my sons car a few years ago, brought it back to the shop without a receipt and got a replacement without argument, can't fault that.

Advertisement