Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK EV Inspection Service

• 31-12-2016 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

Looks like we're heading to the UK for our Leaf. And, given the worrying grinding sound coming from the back brakes in our current car, this will now have to happen in the next few weeks.

A couple of quick questions for those who have done this before (I have too, but that was ten years ago and it's a little different this time).

If I am buying Nissan approved used (and I am), is anything more than a history check necessary? Bear in mind that I hope to buy low mileage (more than the VAT cutoff for Revenue but certainly still in four figures).

Also, and hypothetically, while allowing me the anxious indulgence of a vehicle inspection, and granting that some of these guys can be cowboy box-tickers, is there anyone in the UK who provides such a service for EVs? Anyone with a good reputation? Are they expensive, or are they in line with what the AA and RAC charge for their inspections?

I'll be talking to our bank Tuesday, so this could happen very fast. Apparently there are very good deals being done at the moment. A 30kWh car looked like a vain hope a few weeks ago, now it seems like that it won't be a problem.

I appreciate any help that you folks may be able to offer.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Scottie99

If you're buying a 30kw battery (low mileage) Leaf from a Nissan dealership. I don't think you've anything to worry about. Just remember and organise Charge Cards for the trip home..

EDIT make sure you get the 6kw charger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Kennypants wrote: »
    Looks like we're heading to the UK for our Leaf. And, given the worrying grinding sound coming from the back brakes in our current car, this will now have to happen in the next few weeks.
    Are you buying under time-constraint? If so, would it not be best to get the current car fixed and buy at your leisure afterwards (as presumably, you'll have to sell it privately once you have bought the replacement)? Are the deals over there to be had right now - or closer (or after) the time that they change reg (in the UK, that's 1st Mar/1st Sept)? That's a question on my part - others that have imported cars more regularly may be able to pinpoint the right time to buy in that respect.
    If I am buying Nissan approved used (and I am), is anything more than a history check necessary? Bear in mind that I hope to buy low mileage (more than the VAT cutoff for Revenue but certainly still in four figures).
    History check is needed even if its a few days old - you need to check if theres any finance outstanding on the car and if it's had any Cat C/D damage, etc. Only costs a tenner - so it's not a big deal. I asked the UK dealer to send on copies of the docs (including vehicle check). Also, do you have to confine yourself to Nissan Dealers only? Granted, that's where the majority of used cars will be with - but I don't see much difference. What do they give that the warranty won't already covered (as you seem to be buying a relatively fresh motor)?
    On the mileage, please bear in mind that it's both a combination of mileage, type of usage (left standing on full charge, majority of fast/rapid charging rather than regular charging, etc.) and age that are the critical factors in the state of charge/health of the battery. I bought a younger car with (relatively for EV's) higher mileage for cheap - It's not all about the mileage.
    On VRT, are you saying that the car you are importing has a sales price greater than €20K - as that's what would be necessary in order for you to end up having to exceed the VRT waiver.
    Also, and hypothetically, while allowing me the anxious indulgence of a vehicle inspection, and granting that some of these guys can be cowboy box-tickers, is there anyone in the UK who provides such a service for EVs? Anyone with a good reputation? Are they expensive, or are they in line with what the AA and RAC charge for their inspections?
    Of course, you have to be careful. I don't know a hell of a lot about cars. However, I felt a lot more confident in buying an EV than I ever did about buying an ICE. It's *almost* all about the battery. You can check the state of health of the battery using the LeafSpy app and a usb dongle (that you can buy for €10).
    As regards using a vehicle inspection service, Its up to you but I dont think that's necessary. You will check to see if any CAT C/D damage noted, check the car yourself - check the battery and failing all that, you should have a decent (manufacturers) warranty to fall back on.
    Otherwise, if you get AA/RAC, who can tell - may be the first EV they have ever inspected.
    I'll be talking to our bank Tuesday, so this could happen very fast. Apparently there are very good deals being done at the moment. A 30kWh car looked like a vain hope a few weeks ago, now it seems like that it won't be a problem.
    Did that info ref. 'very good deals' come from one of the banks? If so, I doubt they'd ever say anything else. You should keep in mind the cost of credit when making this buying decision. Calculate out exactly what that is going to cost you.

Other than that, what model/year/spec are you buying? Is it 3 or 6kW charging? What's the asking price?

Check back to previous threads in this section ref. importing - some have written accounts of their experiences in doing same - so reading that info will get you up to speed on what's required. You'll need to install the ecotricity app (at a minimum) and tie the billing end of it up to your credit card.

I'd definitely be of the same opinion as Scottie99 ref. 6.6kW on-board charging model (rather than the standard 3kW). However, perhaps this may not be as important to you - but you should think about that before you commit to buying anything. It may make your purchase a lot more difficult (in sourcing a 6kW) but depending upon your usage pattern, you may well be thankful of having taken the time to source on with - OR - you may find it easier to sell by comparison with the standard when the time comes.

Advertisement