Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise complaint

Options
  • 31-12-2016 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

I have received a complaint from a neighbour about noise emanating from my Central Heating system, which has been in the same place for the last 15 years.

I moved into the house about a year ago and replaced the heating system with a new one but the complaints still come in. He as requested that the heating not go on until 10:30 am as that's when he gets up and other mad requests.

I am just trying to get my facts together and I am struggling to find information on the legal limits for residential noise. I have measured the noise from our system and it outputs about 30-40 decibels. What I want to find out what is the legal limit for noise pollution.

I haven't been able to find this information anywhere either on citizens advice or epa websites.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Is there a vibration from it? I can feel a diesel engine on idle from about 150ft.

30-40 decibels is nothing, maybe another apartment making noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wasn't there a case before the courts recently due to complaints about the noise from a water pump

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ask can you go in and see for yourself, 30-40 is fine within a room and there is no way its still 30-40 in his place.

If its pretty standard neighbour noise, tell him to get lost. Unless your playing pounding techno with 50 people over or some other extreme form of noise, he has nowhere to go.

If it turns out there is some weird transfer of sound into his place, it gives you a idea on what to look for at least.

Keep in mind that some people have lived their whole lives in detached houses. They have no idea on how to live in shared spaces. Believe me, I have met them.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Thanks for the comments, just to be clear we both live in 1950's detached bungalows. The noise from my perspective is not sufficient to warrant a complaint.

However there is no talking to this person and relations have now broken down. That is not a problem on my side, what I am looking for is the legal residential noise limits so that I can ask him to provide me with evidence that I am breeching them. and in the absence of that evidence he can bugger off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Cionn wrote:
    Thanks for the comments, just to be clear we both live in 1950's detached bungalows. The noise from my perspective is not sufficient to warrant a complaint.

I've seen pumped electric showers louder in house next door than the house with the actual shower. This would be a semi detached house. A detached house would eliminate vibration traveling from one building to another.

What does your plumber have to say about it? What is actually making the noise? If you replaced the heating system last year I wouldn't expect any noise at all. New condensation boilers make practically no noise. Sometimes you need to see the pilot light just to know its on.

A 1950s bungalow would have no insulation or soundproofing unless retro fitted.

I wonder how he was with the old owner. Did he complain to him too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Sounds like your neighbour is being difficult and complaining for the sake of it 30 - 40 dB from a modern boiler is negligible. Your neighbour can make a compliant to the district court following this prosedure - he'd have to back it up with evidence (i.e. Excessive noise measures) for it to be successful. Unlikely given what you've described.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html

Thanks, I had the plumber out he did what he could to reduce the sound of the pump, he put a plastic mat under it and installed flexible conectors and also angled the exhaust up. The boiler is a Bosch combi unit and barely audible on the inside of the house, it replaced a 15 year old glowarm unit.
    The neighbour has a history of complaining so I want to get him to bring this to court to close the issue out.

Does anyone have a link to the statutory noise limits for residential properties ?

Cionn wrote:
    Does anyone have a link to the statutory noise limits for residential properties ?

There are no maximum noise level in Irish law for domestic buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I wonder how he was with the old owner. Did he complain to him too
    Agreed. Contact the previous owner, and see if the neighbour brought anyone to court over noise.
    Cionn wrote: »
    Have a read of; http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html

It's more of actual noise, but the max and times should be there somewhere.

/edit; So very vague! Perhaps someone here could point you to the general noise levels allowance. These would be for parties, etc, but it'd be the only limit I can think of.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote:
    /edit; So very vague! Perhaps someone here could point you to the general noise levels allowance. These would be for parties, etc, but it'd be the only limit I can think of.

There is no maximum noise level believe it or not.
    If the neighbours were to bring op to court they need an independent company to take noise levels.
    The reason for no maximum level is op could have builders in. JCB, cangos etc. The law has to allow for this. Something very loud is permitted if it's temporary where something not quite as loud going 24/7 would be seen as a greater nuisance.
    Still sounds like a moan of a neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

<quote snipped>

Seriously, 30 - 40 db, tell him to to take a long run off a short pier.
    Totally ignore his nonsensical requests and get on with life.
    If he has a problem with it, that's his problem, let him do the donkey work to legitimately prove something is wrong. But at 30 - 40 db he will have no grounds for complaint.
    As an example a typical vacuum cleaner emits approx. 70 db. 40 db is considered to be an eight of that noise level and 30 is considered to one sixteenth of 70 db.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

<quote snipped>

Handy reference chart for your neighbour
    http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

That noise level is a fraction of the db level of a normal conversation. I wonder if it's more a case of the feel of the heating system. From doing live sound one thing I have observed is lower frequencies are more felt than heard and could make things appear to be a bit luger than they are. There's a whole field of study around psychoacoustics - the perception of sound which is a bit different than the straight maths of db levels.

It would be interesting to get a spectrum analyser and check out your system, see if there is a load going on sub 80Hz. There's loads of free and trial versions for android which should be ok for a simple test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Cionn wrote: »

You haven't mentioned the location or the type of boiler, but a low level flue on an oil boiler in a side passage between two houses can drone and be noisy. He's still a bit of a moan though :D
    Jim.

JamesM wrote: »
    You haven't mentioned the location or the type of boiler, but a low level flue on an oil boiler in a side passage between two houses can drone and be noisy. He's still a bit of a moan though :D
    Jim.

Yep the boiler is located in the converted garage (utility room) ground floor and the flue exits about 7 foot from the ground. There is a 10-12 foot side passage way and then there is the neighbours bedroom. The compounding issue is the fact he is still using ancient aluminium single/double glazed windows so there is no sound insulation.

Thanks for the interest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

is his house attached to yours. it sounds like there is a path between the two.

if its only noise from the boiler then tell him to cop on and any further demands will result in harrasment reports

if its vibration noises (unlikely if detatched from one another ) then offer to go and hear the noise yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭virgo69

My neighbours put their new boiler on a bedroom wall (external) and while there was very little noise in her apartment, Jesus the noise from it in my apartment would drive you mental, it was like a low drone and then it would stop and then kick in again. I didn't mind it during the day but when she had the heating on during the night it was like Chinese torture. I'm sure I would have gotten used to it but the plumber moved it swiftly enough, any chance you could move it further away from his home?,just for peace for alls sakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oh dear!

I suspect the epa and council will simply dismiss it as a "neighbour dispute" and tell you it is not their remit an send you lots of "interesting" info re taking each other to court...

Been there done that with a man across the back who was once given a crowbanger for Christmas and decided to run it at 30 second intervals 24/7 Right through the year even into September.

ie let your neighbour complain; there will be nothing he can actually do as he would be the one proving to a judge that there WAS a noise nuisance.

And it sounds as if he has not a leg to stand on.

Thankfully

PS I got this latest one stopped with a solicitor's letter about taking him to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Graces7 wrote: »
    Oh dear!

I suspect the epa and council will simply dismiss it as a "neighbour dispute" and tell you it is not their remit an send you lots of "interesting" info re taking each other to court...

Been there done that with a man across the back who was once given a crowbanger for Christmas and decided to run it at 30 second intervals 24/7 Right through the year even into September.

ie let your neighbour complain; there will be nothing he can actually do as he would be the one proving to a judge that there WAS a noise nuisance.

And it sounds as if he has not a leg to stand on.

Thankfully

PS I got this latest one stopped with a solicitor's letter about taking him to court.

Next time he calls over tell him he is harassing you and if it continues you will contact the gardai. Tell him you are not engaging any more about the noise directly and to take to the council/court.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

It is a ridiculous complaint, we also got a brand new Bosch boiler and it's really quiet compared to old one, all new boilers are quieter. Ours is in our kitchen which we use all the time and don't even notice it, I have a cabinet built around it to hide it which does drown out the small bit of noise it emits. I wouldn't waste anymore time worrying about this, you need heating, it's a basic need, if he calls again tell him he is harrassing you and you have been more than polite up to this point getting plumber out to take extra measures to make it quieter. There is nothing further you can do. To the poster who suggested putting boiler elsewhere, there are extra costs to do this, it's not simple to reroute gas lines so neighbour should foot that bill if that is where this ends up. We wanted to move our boiler out of kitchen to hall but plumber said it was quite a job and would cost extra which we didn't have. Tell him to take it further if he wants to, see how far he gets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

My childhood bedroom (estate of detached bungalows) was across the driveway from our neighbours' boiler. The noise caused them no trouble but my God, whatever happens as it travels across from their house to ours it's horrendously noisy. They got a new one in recently, and from staying with the folks over Christmas, it's still noisy. Not as bad, but I'm certain there's some sort of amplifying effect as it travels to my bedroom. Now, I've a lifetime of practice at ignoring the noise so I can sleep just fine through it, but I genuinely wouldn't discount the possibility that it's really noisy to them. Especially at the start and end of the day when there's very little background noise.

As to what can be done..? Not a lot.

Tell him to go ahead and sue you, or to put in new windows, and just get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Next time he calls over tell him he is harassing you and if it continues you will contact the gardai. Tell him you are not engaging any more about the noise directly and to take to the council/court.

By far the best way forward OP. You really have done more than most would to sort this and with great consideration and caring . The burden of proof is on him not you

The council will not help him .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you want to respond formally, you could always get a formal sound engineer's assessment done to quantify the noise at the edge of your property.

You could also do some unofficial measurement yourself with some smartphone apps. The results wouldn't stand up in court, but it would help you to quantify the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you want to respond formally, you could always get a formal sound engineer's assessment done to quantify the noise at the edge of your property.

You could also do some unofficial measurement yourself with some smartphone apps. The results wouldn't stand up in court, but it would help you to quantify the issue.

Don't bother doing any if the above. Tell him to stop harassing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I don't understand this nonsense. You first port of call should be to see if their is a noise. And then deal with it. We can only assume that the noise is real.
    How would you act if you were the neighbour and putting up with noise from next door

Thanks all for the comments. There is a certain amount of noise that has existed for the last 15+ years. It is nothing that wouldnt be expected in a city centre location. Unfortunately the neighbour has decided that it is now too much and I think the fact that we provided some accommodation to lessen the noise has only strengthened his resolve. He is looking at going to the district court and a side of me is glad as it will push things towards a resolution.

Some great information provided so that you for that. I will keep the thread updated as the issue progresses. I have a different approach to these things now as my initial 'look for a reasonable solution' between 2 parties has been thrown back at me. Now I want a barring order on the guy and communication only via solicitor.

Happy New Year

Cionn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

OP, did you contact the previous owners to find out if the neighbour "has form" so to speak?

Anyway, live your life, and let him take legal action. As you say, there is no point trying to reason with those who will not listen.

If the man is elderly, there may be a possibility that he has dementia or is suffering from MH issues.

The reason I say this is asking you not to turn your system on until 10.30am "as that's the time he gets up" is just so unreasonable and bizarre. What does he expect you do.... freeze in the mornings!

Anyway, it is most frustrating, and wish you well. Do please keep the thread updated, although I suspect this will be long and drawn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sometimes the mind boggles with what certain people seem to believe.

I just couldn't live like that and would much prefer a bit more space between properties.

Its only going to get worse as most new properties are being piled right on top of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

TBH op I think your approaching this all wrong.
    He moans and your jumping through hoops about it?? I think not !

Tell him you've had the plumber out to ensure its functioning ok and do whatever could reasonably be expected.

Leave it with him to do the research and come back with a formal complaint with limits and evidence and you'll entertain a conversation then. Tell him until that happens your speaking no further about it.

Leave him be, people like that don't deserve your time wasted trying to prove or disprove his accusations, let him prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op have no more to do with neighbour and go about your own life.

Advertisement